2-4-D

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Kathy bought some Grazon Next weed spray from Tractor Supply last year and I was not able to spray so I am spraying now. I noticed that it does not contain 2-4-D so I went online and the Grazon Next H L which contains some 2-4-D. I don't have very good luck with Tractor Supply unless I'am buying Nuts and Bolts and I don't think much of their Cattle Feeds either.
What I would like to know is, what brand of Weed Killer with 2-4-D and surficant is the best for Cattle Pastures. Need to kill the weeds and not the grass.
Any constructive advice will be appreciated.

I hope people respond to this thread. I have sprayed about all of them at one point or the other.
What I've sprayed this year:
1. Remedy at 32 ounces per acre----killed weeds great, killed briars great, just wasn't strong enough mix to get the honey locust
2. Grazon at 24 ounces to the acre------killed weeds great, no briars in the field I sprayed
3. 2 four d-------24-30 ounces per acre. I usually spray and mix it recklessly, because it's so cheap. Killed what I call soft stemmed weeds exceptionally well. Doesn't do much for the tougher weeds.
4. Cimmaron------Can't remember the amount per acre, be cause it was less than an ounce if I am remembering correctly. Killed well, but very slow. Did good on horse nettle. Sprayed it last year with poor results. I must have not gotten enough per acre, cause opinion of it now is pretty high.

Kindof hard giving a herbicide recommendation without knowing the type grass that's in the pasture and your target weeds.

kerley not sure what your asking but any spray that contains 24d as the main ingredient will work great for the easy to kill broad leaf weeds. The grazon next is a great herbicide but has a residual that will kill post emergent weeds and will get the later hard to kill weeds. I sprayed Grazon Next this year because I was targeting horse nettles and milk weeds.

kerley":fk66w4bj said:
Kathy bought some Grazon Next weed spray from Tractor Supply last year and I was not able to spray so I am spraying now. I noticed that it does not contain 2-4-D so I went online and the Grazon Next H L which contains some 2-4-D. I don't have very good luck with Tractor Supply unless I'am buying Nuts and Bolts and I don't think much of their Cattle Feeds either.
What I would like to know is, what brand of Weed Killer with 2-4-D and surficant is the best for Cattle Pastures. Need to kill the weeds and not the grass.
Any constructive advice will be appreciated.

I don't know of any herbicide that contains adequate or proper ratios of 2,4d and surfactant. Best to custom mix your own--just add the needed amount of 2,4d to whatever primary herbicide you are using then add the surfactant to match your total volume.
There are some multi ingredient herbicides available, such as Crossbow, which is pretty much 2,4d and Remedy premixed, but will have a lower % of one or another per gallon--you need to read the ingredients and ratios of active ingredients:inert ingredients. It's sometimes easier and less expensive and more effective to custom mix your own to match your weed/invasive problems. Again, just using remedy and 2,4d as an example:

1 gal of Remedy Ultra contains:
Triclopyr-60.45%
Other (inert) ingredients- 39.55%
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld7NR005.pdf

1 gal of Crossbow contains:
Triclopyr-16.5%
2,4d-34.4%
other (inert) ingredients 49.1%
They had to decrease something to add the 2,4d, so they decreased the amt of active ingredient triclopyr.

Grazon Next and GrazonNext HL both have a form of 2,4d ( 2,4-dichlorophenoxy)in them--just different ratios.
GrazonNext:
ActiveIngredient:
Triisopropanolammonium salt of 2-pyridine
carboxylic acid, 4-amino-3,6-dichloro- ......................... 6.58%
Triisopropanolammonium salt of (2,4-dichlorophenoxy)
acetic acid............................... ...........................51.06%
Other Ingredients.................................................. 42.36%
Total ..................................................................100.00%

Acid Equivalents:
aminopyralid (2-pyridine carboxylic acid,4-amino-3,6-dichloro-)–3.4%-0.33 lb/gal (40 g/L)
2,4-D [(2,4-dichlorophenoxy) acetic acid]–27.2%-2.67 lb/gal (320 g/L)

http://ws.greenbook.net/Docs/Label/L90164.pdf

GrazonNextHL:
Active Ingredient:
Triisopropanolammonium salt of 2-pyridine
carboxylic acid, 4-amino-3,6-dichloro-............8.24%
Dimethyl amine salt of
(2,4-dichlorophenoxy) acetic acid..................41.26%
Other Ingredients .....................................50.50%
Total.....................................................100.00%

Acid Equivalents:
aminopyralid (2-pyridine carboxylic acid, 4-amino-3,6-dichloro-)–4.28% - 0.41 lb/gal (50 g/L)
2,4-D [(2,4-dichlorophenoxy) acetic acid] – 34.25% - 3.33 lb/gal (400 g/L

http://ws.greenbook.net/Docs/Label/L93568.pdf

They are the same product. one is just stronger than the other. They concentrated the HL to save on freight and container size.
It is a very good product and one of the few that has some effect on milkweed. You are going to have to add surfactant to most herbicides. I wish it wasn't that way but it is.

Rifle D is dicamba and 2-4-D and work well for a cheaper product. The same ingredients are in a few other products with different names.

My standby for everything excpet blackberrys is Remedy and Grazon P+D. For black berrys I use Surmount either alone or mixed with Grazon P+D. I bought a couple of drums (30 gallons each) of Grazon several years ago. I've found that more and more I'm spraying less and less. I do us Glyphosate but not too much, just for the driveway and equipment parking/storage areas.
For woody stuff that's too big for foliar spraying I use Remedy and diesel and do a basal spray