2,4-D or Grazon

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
If you have used both which were you happiest with? Also, which is most expensive and which is safest for the cattle. I know I can read endless info on the internet but I like to see what real people have discovered in their experiences.

Easy....the less expensive of the two...safest for cattle is a non-issue as both are safe for grazing cattle.

tncattle":344dlrks said:
If you have used both which were you happiest with? Also, which is most expensive and which is safest for the cattle. I know I can read endless info on the internet but I like to see what real people have discovered in their experiences.

I quit Grazon years ago for the reason it kills the seed bank.
This was a lot of money out of my pocket. Grazon can't tell the difference in rye grass, clover or a weed seed.
Both work well and are good product's and have there short coming's.

For 99% I use Grazon, only have to spray once instead of multiple times. For the few places I just want to kill the stuff that's growing and plan on drilling I use 2-4,d. 2,4-d is the cheapest by a long shot but if you have to spray more then once (for the weed seed that sprout after spraying) Grazon is chepaer

I'm thinking about using Weedmaster this year. It's 24D and Dicamba. The cost is between straight 24D and Grazon. The label shows to control most of what I have on my place.

I used Rifle D last year which is also 24-D and dicamba. I was pleased with the results but hard to tell with the drought skewing the results. It may be a cheaper alternative to Weedmaster

bird dog":xgnxhmds said:
I used Rifle D last year which is also 24-D and dicamba. I was pleased with the results but hard to tell with the drought skewing the results. It may be a cheaper alternative to Weedmaster

I know with the drought that the results were somewhat skewed, but did you feel that the Rifle D got more of the hard to kill weeds than straight 24D would have got?

Yes I believe so. I sprayed 300 acres from April through June. About 50 acres at a time. My last rain was about June 10 and the herbicide was not working well with all the plants stressed including the weeds so I quit at the first of July. It worked very well on my broom weed and rag weed which were my major problems. Thistles and other thorny plants were easily knocked down and didn't return. It burned the leaves off the mesquite bushes that I had missed with the spot sprayer. The only problem I still have was milkweed. I know it worked well because in one pasture towards the end I got careless and missed some areas. They were easy to spot a month later. I will use the product again this year.

Baydog":2tqbhhsr said:
I'm thinking about using Weedmaster this year. It's 24D and Dicamba. The cost is between straight 24D and Grazon. The label shows to control most of what I have on my place.
I used it a couple of years ago for thistles. Did a good job and reasonably priced. For broadleafs you can't beat Grazon P+D. Spray it and let the cattle graze right behind you.

Angus Cowman":12q0cqp2 said:
rifle D and weedmaster are the generics for grazon p+d if I remember correctly
Really?? Didn't know that. Sure didn't hurt the grass and killed all the thistles and the few other broadleafs.

Angus Cowman":c1kvqg1n said:
rifle D and weedmaster are the generics for grazon p+d if I remember correctly
Rifle is straight dicamba, weedmaster is 2,4-d and dicamba, Grazon is 2,4-d and picloram

Baydog":375woh3p said:
I have been very pleased with the Weedmaster.

Latest posts