2-4-D Amine Restricted Use?

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
I have a quick question. I have called 2 Tractor Supply stores and they told me that I need an applicators license to buy 2-4-D Amine.

However, I called 2 places that retail it on the internet, and they told me that I don't and I could order it right then if I wanted to.

Does anyone know why this would be? Is it a restricted use herbicide?

Thanks,
Joseph

Not restricted use as far as I know. Infact I have our local TSC doesn't have any restricted use stuff on the shelf.

Restricted in Texas but not Oklahoma- that is if you are buying in gallon or larger jugs. If you buy it premixed like a homeowner uses, not license required

As far as I understand, 2,4,D amine is not restricted use in Texas, but is in Ct and Vermont. Tractor Supply's orange "Restricted Use" labeling seems to be al over the map tho. I've seen GrazonNext NOT labeled 'restricted', but herbicides containing both 2,4-d and triclopyr (Crossbow) labeled "restricted, and I KNOW GrazonNext is restricted. (It comes up on their display at checkout register I am sure.) TSC badly needs to get their act together a little better in this regards. (I bought 2,4,d amine Saturday at a retailer on Bolivar Peninsula and it was NOT labeled or sold as "restricted use". THIS, was in a 1 quart container tho, so that may make a difference too.

The reason you can buy some products on-line without providing proof of app lic is because of the disclaimer at the bottom of most on-line sellers, which places the responsibility of staying within the parameters of the regs solely on the buyer. You can buy lots of items online that you cannot buy elsewhere unless you have a app lic.

May not be restricted per se but in the heat that we are in now, 2 4-d can move into non-target crops or grasses. I know in MS we are not to use it after May 15th. as cotton is up. Cotton doesn't like it at all.

Not allowed to use it, and not allowed to sell/buy it (without applicator lic) are very different things. And of course, any substance can migrate to non-target locations if applied wrong or under adverse weather conditions--even fertilize and plain water.
I wouldn't think that the ambient temp reaching a set range or the time of year would trigger an automatic ban on the sale of any herbicide, regardless of whether one was licensed or not. Use-yes. Sale or purchase of, I would have problems understanding, as many folks buy early or even late in preparation for later use.

I don't think it is temp but the fact that cotton and other crops are up. Again I don't think it is restricted, just not to use later in season. The adverse weather being temps greater than 80 degrees, cause chem to varporize and drift even thought it was sprayed the day before.

As mentioned in the regs, it's state limited. TSC will sell you up to 3 quarts at one time without a license in Texas. Bought some last week for spot spraying.

2-4-D Amine has been found to be a Carcinogen in some cases and will more than likely hit the Restricted Use label soon and I look for it to be one day off the market completely.

TSC with their limited understanding of what producers need and use arn't the best place to buy herbicides anyway -- they are a place for the suburbanite >> go to your co-op and get it and take the 10 minute pesticide license test over at your extension office just so you will have it.

jsm":px2neb3q said:
All,
I have a quick question. I have called 2 Tractor Supply stores and they told me that I need an applicators license to buy 2-4-D Amine.

However, I called 2 places that retail it on the internet, and they told me that I don't and I could order it right then if I wanted to.

Does anyone know why this would be? Is it a restricted use herbicide?

Thanks,
Joseph

2,4-D is a state limited use pesticide in Texas. That means if you buy in container more than a qt. (that is the homeowner exception) then you must have a private applicators license in Texas. Tractor Supply has a hard time keeping their emplyees up to date on what is and isn't restricted because it changes from state to state.

In Texas to get a license, you must attend a training put on by the Extension Service and then pass an exam given by the Texas Department of Agriculture.

All, thanks for the replies. I think I am going to just go ahead and get my applicators license. Seems like you just need to order some study materials from TAMU, schedule the test, and submit the application with a $60 fee. Sounds fairly painless.....

Try to find some martins clean pasture or patriot both very effective and not very expensive. Both do a good job.

jsm":38rclztn said:
All, thanks for the replies. I think I am going to just go ahead and get my applicators license. Seems like you just need to order some study materials from TAMU, schedule the test, and submit the application with a $60 fee. Sounds fairly painless.....
In addition to buying the study materials, you will need to attend in person the training offered by the Extension service. Most of the county agents schedule a TDA man to come give the exam on the same day as the training.

BC":1te6kxrh said:
jsm":1te6kxrh said:
In addition to buying the study materials, you will need to attend in person the training offered by the Extension service. Most of the county agents schedule a TDA man to come give the exam on the same day as the training.

Yep, this is what I was told as well--you have to take the class(es). Some states may allow one to just take the exam, but I don't think that will fly in my state.

greybeard":1i1nsndk said:
BC":1i1nsndk said:
jsm":1i1nsndk said:

Yep, this is what I was told as well--you have to take the class(es). Some states may allow one to just take the exam, but I don't think that will fly in my state.

Your right GB. In getting my own license it was paying for the classes, which included a workbook and included some snacks and soft drinks during class breaks. Then there was a small fee for the license itself. The classes were very informative and well worth the cost. I think a class could be dedicated to just calibrating a sprayer properly!

Latest posts