$2.25 per pound

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm assuming that you are meaning that a roping steer is a longhorn and a calf doesn't have horns. Steer is for team roping and calf is for calf roping. Correct?

Josh

jcissell":23693l87 said:
I'm assuming that you are meaning that a roping steer is a longhorn and a calf doesn't have horns. Steer is for team roping and calf is for calf roping. Correct?

Josh
There you go jcissell. Doesnt have anything to do with heifer or steer like the other guy said...I thought most ranchers would know that. Guess not. Sad

El_Putzo":11gnljah said:
Sorry to be on the defensive, but I've been hearing a few comments on this board from people saying things to the effect that us small producers are not really cattlemen. I don't consider myself a cattleman really as that is not all I do on the farm. I would much rather be called a farmer.
I dont understand you. You dont consider yourself a cattleman but youre upset because other people say that youre not a cattleman. Is that right???? If you would rather be called a farmer that sure as heck ought to suit cattlemen just fine. Still dont quite understand your gripe though...you say youre not a cattleman but you want everbody else to say you are???

TheBullLady":2k89v9x2 said:
Same here.. it's crazy! None to sell for me for another 30 -45 days. They should be down around $.85 by then. :(

I noticed the other day you stated that you went to the Emory salebarn. That place has got to have the highest prices in the state right now. When I went to look a few angus cows a couple weeks ago (not the one's I PM'd you about), the guy selling them told me that prs were going for $1500 and bred cows were bringing $1000, at Emory earlier that day. I really didnt believe him, but after hearing it from a couple of others on here, I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt.

I looked at the Livestock Reporter and sales at both Gainesville and Pilot Point are much less. On Mineral Wells website, the cows are much cheaper also. What is it about Emory that brings the higher prices?

tapeworm":17b3dcuf said:
El_Putzo":17b3dcuf said:
Sorry to be on the defensive, but I've been hearing a few comments on this board from people saying things to the effect that us small producers are not really cattlemen. I don't consider myself a cattleman really as that is not all I do on the farm. I would much rather be called a farmer.
I dont understand you. You dont consider yourself a cattleman but youre upset because other people say that youre not a cattleman. Is that right???? If you would rather be called a farmer that sure as heck ought to suit cattlemen just fine. Still dont quite understand your gripe though...you say youre not a cattleman but you want everbody else to say you are???

Nope, don't want to be called a cattleman, like I said, I'm just a lowly farmer. I guess I was using those 2 words interchangably. Like I said I guess I read more into it that was meant to be. I was assuming that when you said he was not a "real" cattleman that he brings nothing to this board. I guess the gross assumption was on my part not yours.

On the other hand, if you were assuming that just because he is a smaller farmer he know's less, that would be inaccurate.

Sometimes it's hard to tell what "tone" someone is typing in. :oops:

Just as a side note. Not everyone who raises cattle is into roping calves or steers. In this part of the country there is virtually no demand for that kind of stock. Hence my confusion.

Latest posts