1ton vs 3/4ton truck shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

The more extras on the vehicle and the more you drive the more I think it justifies itself.

When I run 60K miles a year, I buy a truck with 120k mile warranty, drive it 2 years, trade it in. I lock in my cost of owning that vehicle. The depreciation plus the warranty and a few $100 deductibles give me my cost of ownership.

I could by a $65k truck, drive it for 2yrs, get $50k for it and be in a brand new one. $625 a month straight up, little to no risk.

The market has changed now so it's a little different game but it will come back around eventually.

Not saying it may work out for every single person but it's definitely not worth just writing off as a scam.
Interesting approach. What is the list price for an extended warranty? How does the dealer make a $1500 extended warranty work on their end?

Interesting approach. What is the list price for an extended warranty? How does the dealer make a $1500 extended warranty work on their end?
I'm not sure what they are running right now. I want to say they try to get $3K or so.

The dealer or even GM or who ever has no ties to the warranty. It's a completely outside company. Factory warranties can be a little tough to navigate and a dealer is not going to push to hard agaisnt the hand that feeds them. With these warranties being a completely outside 3rd party they have always been more than willing to try to shove as much on it as possible for me.

I think they are more like insurance than warranty but I bet it's easier to sell it as a warranty.

I had an Ford Explorer that had an extended warranty that was not worth the paper it was wrote on. I had an heater actuator that was bad. The way the warranty was wrote if what was done and didn't fix the problem I was left with paying the bill. Every time the actuator would fail the dealers would not look at it when it failed, only after it had cooled down and was working properly when they looked at it. it only fail after I was driving for several hours. The first time it happened I was driving off the mountain into Salt Lake City in January; the windows were icing up, not exactly a good time for that. At least as I was getting lower in elevation it warmed up. After the three dealers could not find the problem I took it into the college auto shop and they found out the problem and got it fixed. I will never buy another extended warranty.

I'm not following exactly what you are saying but it sounds like issues with the dealer if they couldn't fix the problem? The warranty company is going to pay for it once just like an individual. If the dealer doesn't fix the problem that would be on the dealer to make it right?

I have had 5 extended warranties on 5 trucks. 4 Chevrolets and one Dodge. I never ran in to that. The dealers always looked for the problem, then called the warranty for approval on the work, then let me know it was covered, and then did the work. I told the dealer do not do work they did not think they would be paid for with out talking to me first. They never acted like it would be an issue.

I'm sure not all warranties are created equal just like any thing else. The ones I purchase are always at the end with the dealer. I would think it would not be to their benefit to sell one that is sketchy.

I know I had Easy Care on 2 or 3 of the Chevy trucks but they came from the same dealer so that is not surprising. Can't remember the others but they all seemed to operate the same.

I am still driving an 02 7.3 Powerstroke. Old truck has been the best I've ever owned .
I have a Banks tuner most times is tuned for economy, reflashed the computer Thursday for tow/haul and off to the salebarn. When got back home went back to economy.
Truck still looks good IMO.
View attachment 17552
Local guy that is best with diesels I know, says to leave it on tow tune. Gets better mpg due to high horsepower than the economy tune. He's told me if driving it like a car with no trailer, put it on highest setting, said on my truck I'd likely see 25mpg on highest setting. I got 22.5 no trailer going 45mins to get tags on it last week. But under no circumstance pull a trailer like that. Stock tranny won't handle it long pulling a load. Can't say I've tried any of it yet, mines still on setting #2 for now. Just passing on words from someone I highly trust.

I had an Ford Explorer that had an extended warranty that was not worth the paper it was wrote on. I had an heater actuator that was bad. The way the warranty was wrote if what was done and didn't fix the problem I was left with paying the bill. Every time the actuator would fail the dealers would not look at it when it failed, only after it had cooled down and was working properly when they looked at it. it only fail after I was driving for several hours. The first time it happened I was driving off the mountain into Salt Lake City in January; the windows were icing up, not exactly a good time for that. At least as I was getting lower in elevation it warmed up. After the three dealers could not find the problem I took it into the college auto shop and they found out the problem and got it fixed. I will never buy another extended warranty.
Our problem pickup went back to the dealership that sold it to us new, along with extended warranty. The shop techs keep trying, but couldn't seem to fix it. It got really old taking it in, then having it there a week (they had to get the approval to work on it, then had to order the parts, then had to do the work.) We would drive it home, only to have the same problem. The shop at the dealership said to bring it in when it was acting up. So we did. They didn't get it in the shop, and told Mr. FH that the shop guys had gone to lunch. They told me that all the bays were full. Regardless, they lied.
We had done this for several weeks. We finally gave up. The dealership didn't want our problem pickup so we had to trade another place. The salesman that sold us the pickup had moved but was working for another dealership in another town. We contacted him, he told the place where he worked what was going on and they traded us for a different brand new pickup. They knew the problems we were having and thought they could fix it. It was a hassle going quite aways out of town to trade. Then when we had the first free oil change, the dealership in town wouldn't do it, so we took it to another dealership and they honored the free oil change. That pickup was the second vehicle we had bought at the dealership in town, but there will never be another. They burned their bridge with us.

Warranty or not if what they fixed doesn't fix it thats on their dime not mine.
Right, except the first words out of their mouths if you don't have a service contract or are out of warranty is "Diagnosis Fee"....and to me it's a bull crap fee that they use to guarantee something coming out of your pocket...they say it pays for the computers and the tech needs to be paid for his time...but when the fee is $100 or more, they sure as hell aren't paying the tech for an hour to plug it in and check the codes.

Latest posts