1ton vs 3/4ton truck shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

Out of curiosity, how much is a GM?

A bunch of crap just fell off my '19 Ford and it was about $1500 off the top of my head.
Im told all the Dodges and Fords up to at least a 2020 are under $3grand to delete. Chevys are same up to a 16. 2017 and newer GM Duramax are about $9500. For a while they were having trouble frying computers when deleting, but I'm told that's fixed.
I plan to delete/tune anything I buy if not already done so I'm avoiding 17+GM products.

Im told all the Dodges and Fords up to at least a 2020 are under $3grand to delete. Chevys are same up to a 16. 2017 and newer GM Duramax are about $9500. For a while they were having trouble frying computers when deleting, but I'm told that's fixed.
I plan to delete/tune anything I buy if not already done so I'm avoiding 17+GM products.
The Fords and Dodges are about half that or less for the parts if you do the labor. Dodges are easy, Fords are a bit more tedious.

How is it without the extra parts? Is fuel milage any better?
I didn't add any fuel/power to it, just stock settings but it still feels peppier. Got done with it Saturday and hauled a load of cows Sunday, so I can't comment on fuel mileage yet. If I pick up 2 mpg or better, I'll be tickled pink. More interested in longevity and reliability.

Wow, that's a lot. I looked briefly yesterday afternoon and the '16 and priors look like 2-3k in parts, wonder what changed on the '17+ trucks?
GM did crazy incription on ecm. They have to give you a new one and that's $2k vs just flashing your current one and putting the new programs in. Plus, there are other things that are just a pia.

What issues have you had with the Fords?
My primary issue with Ford (as a lifetime customer up till) was that they became arrogant and wouldn't negotiate price. I bought a Dodge in 2006, last of the 5.9L Cummins with a stickshift transmission, and haven't looked back. Best truck I've ever owned and continues to serve reliably today. I'm frequently approached by folks wanting to buy it.

The power/torque of today's diesels is awesome, but honestly I never saw need for more than what the '04-'07 trucks provide, and certainly not at the expense of today's trucks.

I am sorry for folks who have to deal with the cost of new trucks and the emissions absurdities associated with everything from '07 and newer. I guess corporate farms can afford the price, but there are a lot of newer trucks up for sale because owners don't want to pay the thousands required to replace emissions "wear components" to keep them on the road.

A friend of mine deleted his 2018 powerstroke when the DEF started giving him trouble. Not sure how long he had the tune on but the first load of roping steers he hauled he burned up the transmission. His mechanic told me that he had it set on 200 hp. The transmission is around 8k and the truck is still in the shop so I haven ask him about it yet, gotta wait until the wounds heal.

My primary issue with Ford (as a lifetime customer up till) was that they became arrogant and wouldn't negotiate price. I bought a Dodge in 2006, last of the 5.9L Cummins with a stickshift transmission, and haven't looked back. Best truck I've ever owned and continues to serve reliably today. I'm frequently approached by folks wanting to buy it.

The power/torque of today's diesels is awesome, but honestly I never saw need for more than what the '04-'07 trucks provide, and certainly not at the expense of today's trucks.

I am sorry for folks who have to deal with the cost of new trucks and the emissions absurdities associated with everything from '07 and newer. I guess corporate farms can afford the price, but there are a lot of newer trucks up for sale because owners don't want to pay the thousands required to replace emissions "wear components" to keep them on the road.
That's so sad.
We had a 2006 Dodge, 1 ton dually, 4x4. Never had an issue with it. Sold it and bought the 2016 that we had the electronic problems with. The fella that bought the 2006 from us, is a hay broker. He hauls hay with it from everywhere, so he darn sure works it. We talked to him just last year and he never had an issue with it. I forget how many miles were on it. He said it was just time to upgrade.

Not an issue with Ford at all. Sounds like more of a dealership issue.

That's so sad.
We had a 2006 Dodge, 1 ton dually, 4x4. Never had an issue with it. Sold it and bought the 2016 that we had the electronic problems with. The fella that bought the 2006 from us, is a hay broker. He hauls hay with it from everywhere, so he darn sure works it. We talked to him just last year and he never had an issue with it. I forget how many miles were on it. He said it was just time to upgrade.
Good to hear. I tried upgrading the tranmission on mine but it was so hard to shift the truck was unsafe to drive, so went back to the original manual transmission guts. Folks around here who've had these say you can't kill these trucks, so I guess I'll keep her. Truck is as stock as the day she left the assembly line.

The costs associated with the new trucks, deleting emissions, etc., don't do a thing for me. 325hp/610ft lbs has served me well for 16 years and will do so far another 16 or until my expiration date arrives.

I can use that money saved to buy things that MAKE me money. They've priced these out of range for folks who are smaller scale and really, actually, care about our bottom line.

That said, the difference between my '06 Dodge and the '91 Ford it replaced when that truck was the same age is unreal. I totally get manufacturing improvements. The Dodge feels and sounds like a brand new truck, even today. No rattles/squeaks, no interior parts broken, etc. Competition has forced quality improvements, for sure.

Last edited:
What problems are you having that is causing you to delete your trucks? Perhaps i dont drive mine enough but i haven't had any issues with my 17' F350. Can't imagine paying 7-9k to remove stuff that isn't giving me problems?

"Good to hear. I tried upgrading the tranmission on mine but it was so hard to shift the truck was unsafe to drive, so went back to the original manual transmission guts".

Our last two Dodge pickups have/had Aisian automatic transmissions. He is impressed with them. That's the main reason we bought the 2016. He heard about them, how much better they are, so he bought one. At that time they were hard to find, most dealers didn't even know what he was talking about. But one dealer/salesman did. He delivered 7 ton of mineral at a time, so
he knew what he wanted and why. (I guess--)

He was always a skeptic of automatic transmissions, but now he likes them.

I agree with you on the electronics our 2018 has just about everything you can get and the 2019 was the cheapest one on the lot of a dealer that sells bare bones trucks. Problem is if you want the leather and console you gotta get the elctronics. The leather with heated and cold seats would be really nice in a work truck on those really hot or cold days but is useless to me in a truck used to go on trips. The other bells in whistles are nice while on a long trip but useless in a work truck. Kinda backwards if you ask me. 🤷

The death wobble is what it is. I dealt with it for years with the Dodges but it was predictable. These Fords just become undrivable out of the blue.
What is a "Death Wobble" and what causes it?

It's hard for me to explain but happens on straight axle trucks when the front tires start bouncing back and forth. Only way to stop it is to slow to a near stop. Might look up a youtube video. Imagine going 70 mph with two front tires severely out of balance.

A violent shake in the front end. A lot of people use the term improperly. There is no mistaking when it happens, and you cannot do anything to stop it except slow down. Many times it will be a pothole or something that sets it off. Ever seen a shopping cart with a bad wheel that just wobbles constantly? Imagine your truck doing that.

2nd generation Rams are the worst about it because of how the steering is designed, but any solid front axle vehicle with coil springs can do it. It's a problem on Super Duty Fords and Jeeps too. Leaf sprung trucks can as well but it's not as common.

It's usually caused by worn parts in the front end and lack of caster. Lift kits make it way worse because they decrease the caster angle. Loose steering parts, worn track bar, and worn control arm bushings are usually the prime suspects.

Around here 3/4 tons are a rare breed. Most everyone who want more than a half ton just buys the one ton. I ordered a F250 in 2013 because I thought I'd get a better ride. I didn't so back to one tons… just not Dodge one tons. I've had two of those, my first one and my last one. Same truck. That thing did it's best to cripple me and financially break me.

Last edited:
A violent shake in the front end. A lot of people use the term improperly. There is no mistaking when it happens, and you cannot do anything to stop it except slow down.
I had an '07 Dodge dually that had the worse case of it I'd ever seen, and wouldn't stop until you brought the truck to a full and complete stop. Did it to me once in 5 lanes of traffic in Denver, that was awesome...

Around here 3/4 tons are a rare breed. Most everyone who want more than a half ton just buys the one ton. I ordered a F250 in 2013 because I thought I'd get a better ride. I didn't so back to one tons… just not Dodge one tons. I've had two of those, my first one and my last one. Same truck. That thing did it's best to cripple me and financially break me.
We must have had the same truck! Loved pulling a trailer with it, but I spent more time under it than in the driver's seat!

Latest posts