1ton vs 3/4ton truck shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So my farm truck I bought, had 2mths and it caught fire. They say electrical under dash, but not much left to look at. It was a 2016 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0gas with standard flatbed. So I've finally got my insurance money and wanting a truck to last for years to come. I don't want a which brand is best contest here. I have in mind I want a "1ton in a 3/4 frame". Meaning a 1ton, 4dr, shortbed SRW. Dodge or Chevy diesel I think, probably 2010-2016. The big question being, is there that much difference in axles, frame, gearing etc in a 1ton vs 3/4? 2 guys I regard highly for diesel mechanics has contradicting opinions. Chevy guy said yes, heavier running gear in 1ton. Dodge guy said most everything he has done interchanges within reason.

Keep in mind I'm not huge farmer. 35cows, 2bulls. Haul 3-5 loads of cows a year. In-line bale trailer hauling 200-250round bales a yr. Tractor etc. wife's wanting a camper so that might be in the future. Looking for an all around family truck, farm, etc truck. Most say a 3/4 will do everything i need. I just want to have to upgrade in few years to 1 ton, if I should just go ahead.

Attachments

• FA3A74CF-FB94-434E-B66A-8EA95376FDD3.jpeg
    FA3A74CF-FB94-434E-B66A-8EA95376FDD3.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 21
On most the only real difference is an extra spring pack between a 2500 and a 3500 SRW. 3500 will have a slightly higher payload capacity because of it.

A Chevy just like you had is not a bad choice, or a Ford with the 6.2/7.3 gas. A diesel in that year range is just an expensive headache.

farm truck I bought, had 2mths and it caught fire. It was a 2016 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas with standard flatbed. Keep in mind I'm not a huge farmer. Looking for an all around family truck, Most say a 3/4 will do everything i need.
I like what you had but, given your 'luck' with the Chevy, I vote 3/4 ton Dodge.

I like what you had but, given your 'luck' with the Chevy, I vote 3/4 ton Dodge.
That's the direction I'm leaning is 3/4 dodge. Found a 1ton SRW shortbed, thought it mite be best if both worlds, easier to park vs long bed with little more capacity than 3/4 should I need it. Had 3/4 dodge before I really liked, traded it off because not a single mechanic could figure out why it blew up 3sets batteries. I won't go into all I replaced.
Although I've found a local 2011 Chevy Duramax like my old one for reasonable price, old man owned. So I'm shopping.
As for gas vs diesel. I like the power of the diesel. That 6.0chevy was first gas farm truck I've owned in 12 yrs. Freak deal I figure on it burning. so I'm not scared off, just didn't pull like I had hoped. So I see this a good chance to get what I really want while the wife's on board to get what I want.

On most the only real difference is an extra spring pack between a 2500 and a 3500 SRW. 3500 will have a slightly higher payload capacity because of it.

A Chevy just like you had is not a bad choice, or a Ford with the 6.2/7.3 gas. A diesel in that year range is just an expensive headache.
Gas mileage sucked at 8mpg loaded, 10 empty. Friends 1ton dodge gets 18 empty. That easily covers price difference in diesel and higher oil changes etc. granted injectors etc aren't cheap. But I don't put 5k miles on my farm truck a year. So hopefully I'm not constantly working on it.

Gas mileage sucked at 8mpg loaded, 10 empty. Friends 1ton dodge gets 18 empty. That easily covers price difference in diesel and higher oil changes etc. granted injectors etc aren't cheap. But I don't put 5k miles on my farm truck a year. So hopefully I'm not constantly working on it.
I deliver new trailers with a Duramax that has had the DEF deleted. I get 28 empty and up to 21 pulling a trailer. The truck has 497,000 miles on it but had a used engine put in at around 450,000.

I would research dodge diesels around those years. They were forced buy back tons of vehicles and they were riddled with recalls. The pre-def, regin, systems were trash. A delete would be a must.

I'm sure you are finding quite a few of them, reasonably priced.

I deliver new trailers with a Duramax that has had the DEF deleted. I get 28 empty and up to 21 pulling a trailer. The truck has 497,000 miles on it but had a used engine put in at around 450,000.
That's impressive. I figured 15ish on Duramax was about par. I got a friend runs a body shop with really hoped up Dmax gets 24mpg, but he's got over 40grand in the engine. What year is yours? A delete and tune is a definite thing I'll get if not already done

I would research dodge diesels around those years. They were forced buy back tons of vehicles and they were riddled with recalls. The pre-def, regin, systems were trash. A delete would be a must.

I'm sure you are finding quite a few of them, reasonably priced.
A delete and tune will be a must anyway. I hate def or the filter crap. Reasonably? Lol. Everything's high right now, I'd like to wait and see if prices come down due to fuel prices or if the makers get lined out and help used prices fall. But could only go higher as well. Besides I need a truck now

A delete and tune will be a must anyway. I hate def or the filter crap. Reasonably? Lol. Everything's high right now, I'd like to wait and see if prices come down due to fuel prices or if the makers get lined out and help used prices fall. But could only go higher as well. Besides I need a truck now
Reasonably cheaper than a Ford or Chevy counterpart.

If you are looking at short bed pick ups I would get a 3/4 ton. My 1 tons seems a little stiffer and hit the overloads more than the 3/4 did which would definitely make the shrt bed ride really rough. You can always add air bags if need be. I drove Dodge diesels for 20 yrs with very few problems. I switched to Fords a few years back and definitely can't say the same.

That's impressive. I figured 15ish on Duramax was about par. I got a friend runs a body shop with really hoped up Dmax gets 24mpg, but he's got over 40grand in the engine. What year is yours? A delete and tune is a definite thing I'll get if not already done
I know a guy that gets about the same with a Ford... and did with a Dodge before he wore it out. He did the tune and also runs a propane tank/line to mix with the diesel. He can drive incredible distances without filling up and he pulls a 30 foot enclosed trailer.

I'd never give up my dually for trailering. 02 Duramax, been good to me. Everything we own (including my lawnmower and 2 diesel VW's) is diesel, but I have to say with the cost difference between gas and diesel right now, I think it'd be hard to justify the cost of a diesel (new at least). Yes, you'll get better mileage, but at $1.50/gal premium, you gotta wonder. I pull trailers far more than run empty, so a 1T for me is the only way to go, but everybody has their priorities.

Until you said "wife wants a camper" I would agree with most a 3/4 ton will do what you want.
I'm in the same boat. I have a Chevy 2500hd crew short bed, 8.1 w/ Allison. It hauls cattle most wks of the year. Gas mileage sucks, but that's not why I bought it. ALL kinds of power.
My gf bought a camper and wants to travel with it. A 1ton dually diesel would be much nicer.

We have a 2018 Dodge, 1 ton with a CM Flatbed. It has 4.10 gears with is great for hauling,
but if you are doing more highway driving, watch for 3.73 gears. It's a great pickup, very comfortable, nice ride. The only downer is that we get terrible fuel mileage so the delete is coming soon.

Latest posts