1ton Dodge

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Cummins question.

We bought a used dodge 1ton dually with the cummins engine.99 model. after buying we discovered a small crack in the block.

I called several machine shops tex and okla, and they will not weld the block because the casting is only 3/16 of an inch thick. also thet wont do stich and bolt because it's too thin.

I went on line and found that that along this year the blocks with casting #52 were casted in mexico and all just 3/16 inch thick. Since has been corrected to a thicker block.

It will get rid of about 1/2 gal of antifreeze in about 1 week of hard use using the a/c. We keep a check on it and have never let it overheat.

Having said this I know we will be replacing the engine, or the truck in the future. I also know I will be getting responces like, get a ford or get a chevy.

But what i'm asking is, have anybody here experienced this and if so what was done to fix it. ( maby some temp.fix to make it last longer) since everything else about the truck is in great condition. To trade it or sell it would be giving someonelse a screwing like we got.

Any Ideas? :idea:

Thanks beforehand. Cal

Temp fix is a tough question - you might be better served looking for a mechanics Q&A board. I personally would look for a replacement engine. In Texas, do you have any legal leg to stand on ? Can you take it back to seller, etc. ?

I can't remember but I think The name is CP11 epoxy saw it used on a marine engine. The block had a hole in it the size of your fist. They ground the edges down and built it back up with this stuff and said it would be stronger than the cast.

Have an experienced welder run a bead on it. It will work fine. A machine shop may be too concerned about reputation and liability, a welder will do it for the thrill of seeing if it works.

I am north of Amarillo and have 2 Cummins 5.9's available, let me know if you are interested and we can figure out if they are compatible.

Contact Cummins on this. If you get the right rep, you can often get a short block out of the deal. Failing this, you may be able to get a good welder to patch it up, but you're probably further ahead to look for a short block in a wrecker somewhere. I've seen brand new short blocks selling for under 5K on eBay. If have to buy a short block, you definitely need one from an engine code ETC, 1998.5 - 2002. Your head and whatnot will bolt on to earlier blocks, however the cam's used a different profile, so you'll be down on power. I don't recall if different pistons were used, but I believe so.

The 2003 and up blocks used a different head gasket and water jacket drilling, so the head/block combo are incompatible.

If you do end up with a short block, get your existing head decked and trued up to match the new block. You may have some head gasket issues otherwise.

Rod

Thanks for all your replies. I'm still using the truck but am doing further research.meanwhile check water level ever morn and keeping eye on temp guage.

PS I posted the wrong casting# it's 53 instead of 52.

Cal

Latest posts