1st time calving concerns

Help Support CattleToday:

Luke you are doing this right in my openion. You ask question before the time. I know you don't have all the question to get answers to, but with time and reading and listing to other cattlemen you will learn. The time line that everyone is talking about is always a plus or mins. Get to know you cattle and check when you can. IMO

msscamp":20y253xj said:
KMacGinley":20y253xj said:
I assume that it is a hormone thing that is related to estrogen or ocytocin and makes them an aggressive protector of their, at first, essentially helpless baby.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's called mothering ability. Just my thoughts, though.

The first week the cow is much more protective of the calf than say the 3rd. month, that is why my theory is that it is a hormone induced behavior. Mothering ability is not just protective, it is milking ability and being attentive, but not aggressive ever towards the calf. I guess that a tornado is just weather, but what causes a tornado is kinda important so that we can avoid being blown to Oz. Just my thoughts though. :D

I never wait two hours on a heifer.
Keep in mind for each ten minutes that a calf is delayed in delivery adds one day to the postpartum anestrous period.

buckaroo_bif":204su6zp said:
I never wait two hours on a heifer.
Keep in mind for each ten minutes that a calf is delayed in delivery adds one day to the postpartum anestrous period.
Exactly!!!
The pre-stage of labor may take many hours with a heifer - restless, getting up & down, switching her tail, etc. BUT, when she starts having contractions (pushing) you need to be sure that there is PROGRESS. Once the water sac is present, should not let her work for more than 1 hour. And if you have one pushing & getting up & pushing & nothing shows after 1 hour - she should be checked internally. Lot of times this is an abnormal presentation & the calf can't "fit" up into the calving canal.
Also, I know a lot of people believer in NATURAL, blah, blah. I believe that we create problems, so we need to protect them from our created problems. The calves naval should be dipped in iodine immediately after birth (or as soon as safely possible) unless they are out on god's green grass & not a lot of soiled areas for her to find to lay down & spit out that unprotected newborn. Also, check with your vet as to what deficencies you have in your area. Here, I wouldn't think of letting a calf go without a Selenium shot (BoSe purchased thru a vet) and a vitamin A&D.
It is best to remove mom from the area if at all possible. This can be done by luring her away with grain. Good luck & enjoy - it is a great experience. We don't mean to "scare" you into thinking all heifers need to be helped - contrary - most do not. It's just that you need to KNOW when to intervene with help - and believe me that is always a hair-raising hard decision. It's always best if they have it on their own - but---

KMacGinley":2qwk4wu2 said:
msscamp":2qwk4wu2 said:
KMacGinley":2qwk4wu2 said:
I assume that it is a hormone thing that is related to estrogen or ocytocin and makes them an aggressive protector of their, at first, essentially helpless baby.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's called mothering ability. Just my thoughts, though.

The first week the cow is much more protective of the calf than say the 3rd. month, that is why my theory is that it is a hormone induced behavior. Mothering ability is not just protective, it is milking ability and being attentive, but not aggressive ever towards the calf. I guess that a tornado is just weather, but what causes a tornado is kinda important so that we can avoid being blown to Oz. Just my thoughts though. :D

I don't think protectiveness in the first few weeks is hormone induced behavior, I'm more inclined to think it's instinct - but I could be wrong. I do realize that mothering ability is more than just protecting her calf, but thanks for the reminder. Aggressiveness towards her calf is something else entirely, as well.

As you can see time can be important and I know this may seem silly, but I like to have a clock handy.

I don't normally wear a watch so I have to go get one or get in a building that has a clock to watch.

If these are your first you are gonna be amazed at the time distortion. Minutes will seem like hours.

Try to relax and remember the good information you are getting here. The heifers themselves are gonna give you a lot of information about how they are doing and that will settle YOU down. :lol:

Tagging - I have to tag by myself but I get help when it is available. Normally will only tag if I can seperate momma from calf with a 6 foot diamond gate or a bale ring! The grain trick is good and have done that, but depending on her instinct she may leave the grain if she sees you at her calf.

If you think the calves momma is a problem, you will really be in trouble with all the cows ready to do you once the calf bawls when the tag goes in. Never do it without an out for yourself. What ever their disposition/manner is now - you may not recognize them after they calf.

I have been told nothing is more unpredicatable than a newly promoted cow!

Good Luck and have fun! :lol:

AngusLimoX":1nnu1816 said:
As you can see time can be important and I know this may seem silly, but I like to have a clock handy.

I don't normally wear a watch so I have to go get one or get in a building that has a clock to watch.

If these are your first you are gonna be amazed at the time distortion. Minutes will seem like hours.

Try to relax and remember the good information you are getting here. The heifers themselves are gonna give you a lot of information about how they are doing and that will settle YOU down. :lol:

Tagging - I have to tag by myself but I get help when it is available. Normally will only tag if I can seperate momma from calf with a 6 foot diamond gate or a bale ring! The grain trick is good and have done that, but depending on her instinct she may leave the grain if she sees you at her calf.

If you think the calves momma is a problem, you will really be in trouble with all the cows ready to do you once the calf bawls when the tag goes in. Never do it without an out for yourself. What ever their disposition/manner is now - you may not recognize them after they calf.

I have been told nothing is more unpredicatable than a newly promoted cow!

Good Luck and have fun! :lol:

Had this gol durn crazy old cow went nuts on me the other day when I grabbed her calf to tag him. Once you put your knee down on that calf to hold him they pretty much got you, you know? Anyway she came running up and nosed me in the chest knocked me flat on my back and then reared up ilke she was gonna stomp me. Well I'm still on my back right, so I kick at her a few times and she Leaps right over the top of me! Crazy old cow, and it's always the older ones. Heifers never get too excited they might get upset and bawl and stuff but never had a first calf heifer get aggressive with me.

Take heed to what you are reading :D ...had our first calf Friday, mom is an experienced cow and really easy going.....until....with that calf on the ground she ran me out of the barnlot and she ment business :shock: I was counting my blessings that we put in a escape gate, what a change in temperment

We all talk about how much time and how slow time will pass. Another thing to remember - everytime you "check" her, she will get up & quit for maybe another 10 minutes. So if at all possible - check with binoculars - or some way that she is not aware of your presence.

"buckaroo_bif"

Well I'm still on my back right, so I kick at her a few times and she Leaps right over the top of me! Crazy old cow, and it's always the older ones.

Yup, ya had my heart rate up on that one!

Got knocked down once, my fault, luckily they didn't want me bad, and 4 of them jumped over me.

I try install the pens and gates high enough that I can roll/slide under just in case I get careless or surprised again.

If I have to work where I can't roll out I give myself more room to escape.

If it sounds like my cattle are wild they are not. You just never can be sure of any animal.

Glad to hear you are OK bif ! :D

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3o0vuyym said:
Doesnt necessarily matter whether they have good dispositions. All my cattle are real calm I can pet them and their calves they dont care. If however one of those calves happens to bawl or jump back while im petting it mom will run to investigate. I had one brangus cow that went a little crazy the first week or 2 after her calf was born If i got near it she would try and be in my back pocket. She is good natured again now. She was just real protective at first.

pay attention to what this person says!! has a herdsman that attends his cattle, sees them on weekends! gives them a pet and goes back to town! go back thru his posts and has had or getting every possible problem known to cattle!
his herdsman has been around cattle all his life yet TTCLM wont trust his herdsman advice?
HUMMMMMMMMMM
oh well guess he just wants to become guru! LOL