1st pasture rotation this year & 3rd year clover (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Our hedge sprouts, really called Osage Orange, never go away. They aren't native to Mo. and just take over established pastures or new ones. If you just mow them off and don't spray the stump, ten come in its place as well what comes up normally. We handle them by spot spraying, a chore every year just like haying. The best way seems to spray them in the pastures when they're about a foot tall. In hayfields, we spray the new growth that comes up after mowing. If we just keep mowing them off, they just get thicker and thicker, till you need to plow or bulldoze the pasture or hayfield. We have trouble with multifloral rose also, AG, do you have them in so. Mo.? In ditches and such, they are impossible to control, mowing doesn't kill them either. gs

plumber_greg":yjq509ok said:
Our hedge sprouts, really called Osage Orange, never go away. They aren't native to Mo. and just take over established pastures or new ones. If you just mow them off and don't spray the stump, ten come in its place as well what comes up normally. We handle them by spot spraying, a chore every year just like haying. The best way seems to spray them in the pastures when they're about a foot tall. In hayfields, we spray the new growth that comes up after mowing. If we just keep mowing them off, they just get thicker and thicker, till you need to plow or bulldoze the pasture or hayfield. We have trouble with multifloral rose also, AG, do you have them in so. Mo.? In ditches and such, they are impossible to control, mowing doesn't kill them either. gs
Greg,We have multi floral roses but they aren't near as bad here as in other places I have been our biggest problem is dang Thorny locust

and Agmantoo those airplane tires might be ok but they don't make them for 4wd drive tractors and they also don't make them for the rear of a tractor either
I have a full set of solid foam filled tires that I put on one of my tractors if I need to bushog rough stuff is kind of a PIA putting them on and off but sure beats buying a new set of tires

Angus Cowman

I have never had thorns so bad that they tore the rear tires, one the front ones for me. I do have a rotary cutter for a skidsteer, only 6 feet cut, that works nicely and they do have recycled airplane tires for skidsteers. Possibly you need a steel tracked machine until you get more control of the thorns. I used an older 955 Cat track loader for a number of years as at one time I had huge red cedars, multiflora roses and plum thickets and until I took them out by the root. The herbicides would only burn the large M. roses down and they would come back.

agmantoo":133yp83m said:
Angus Cowman

I have never had thorns so bad that they tore the rear tires, one the front ones for me. I do have a rotary cutter for a skidsteer, only 6 feet cut, that works nicely and they do have recycled airplane tires for skidsteers. Possibly you need a steel tracked machine until you get more control of the thorns. I used an older 955 Cat track loader for a number of years as at one time I had huge red cedars, multiflora roses and plum thickets and until I took them out by the root. The herbicides would only burn the large M. roses down and they would come back.
or he could just spray for em a save the money,, on the loader

Plumber_Greg- Crossbow works really good on MultiFlora Rose. It works on any woody plant.

Agmantoo - you have your system that is working for you. Thats great.
You will never convince me that a bull will not breed a heifer IF SHE COMES INTO STANDING HEAT. So, what I was saying is that if you don't believe in weaning calves and you don't have a problem with heifers getting bred too early, then the heifers are NOT coming into heat until they are 15-18 months of age - that's pretty logical. This means they are small or late maturing. How difficult is it for you to acknowledge this? I am not saying what you are doing is wrong. There are MANY farms that don't do things "the traditional way" - you are not totally unicque. Are they right or wrong? who cares, just so it's right for them.
And, yes, when someone says something like your matriach bull theory, I want others to know that if it works, it is UNICQUE to your situation.
Bull buffalo's didn't breed heifers too young, because they were late maturing and didn't cycle early. I would like a show of hands on who thinks Mr Buffalo would pass up breeding a heifer that was in standing heat because she was too young.

Anyway, SR beef, what do you drag your fields with?

agmantoo":35yxwxf9 said:
Angus Cowman

AGMAN
maybe you need to realize what wroks in your area doesn't work in all areas
I have a dozer!!! and if you go around and try to doze every little thorn sprout every yr then you are doing more damage to the ground and killing more grass than any harm done by using a little spot spray on sprouts
if you have never had locust thorns big enough to ruin a back tire come on down to missori and I will show you some also if you cut a locust down and don't kill it the thorns the next yr are twice the size of the one on the original tree and they are also harder don't ask me why but they are
also you can doze a locust tree out and next yr have 15 or 20 of them because they sprout off of the roots of the tree and the roots sucker out for several 100 ft on a good sized tree
plum and cedars are some of the easiest trees to kill and as for using herbicide on MF ROse and them coming back either you were using the Wrong herbicide, spraying it at the wrong time or not using the correct amount of herbicide

Angus Cowman":2wrbq90h said:
agmantoo":2wrbq90h said:
Angus Cowman

AGMAN
maybe you need to realize what wroks in your area doesn't work in all areas
I have a dozer!!! and if you go around and try to doze every little thorn sprout every yr then you are doing more damage to the ground and killing more grass than any harm done by using a little spot spray on sprouts
if you have never had locust thorns big enough to ruin a back tire come on down to missori and I will show you some also if you cut a locust down and don't kill it the thorns the next yr are twice the size of the one on the original tree and they are also harder don't ask me why but they are
also you can doze a locust tree out and next yr have 15 or 20 of them because they sprout off of the roots of the tree and the roots sucker out for several 100 ft on a good sized tree

plum and cedars are some of the easiest trees to kill and as for using herbicide on MF ROse and them coming back either you were using the Wrong herbicide, spraying it at the wrong time or not using the correct amount of herbicide

I can say that is true, as I have a pasture that was not taken care of for 25 years and it is a full time job getting rid of the mutiflower rose and thorny locust trees. Crossbow works really good on the mutiflower rose.