1st MG X from Locker

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
The 1st of our MG X fats that we sold came back with rave reviews. I would just like to thank the cattle today boards for introducing me to the MG breed. I believe it was one of our wisest choices, and those have been very few in the years since we started raising beef. ;-)

One couple, the wife is a chef, though she works in the confectionery industry, but is an unbelievable cook her comment: "Golden" - THE best!

One couple, the husband pulled out a package of steak - one for one night and one for the next night. His wife does not care for steak. He grilled his steak, his wife said it smelled wonderful and asked for a bite, he obliged and her comment was: Would you please make the other steak for me? If steak had always been this flavorful and tender, I would never have quit eating it. Husband has been getting a quarter from us every year for umpteen years, and said it was pure perfection.

When I called the locker plant to check on the hanging weight, the owner of the locker plant got on the phone and asked if the whole animal was already sold. I said yes, he said that was too bad, he would of loved to buy whatever wasn't sold. He said, it was probably one of the best finished, finest marbled animals he had come through there, and asked about the animal itself, and was extremely interested.

This was a heifer, her mom is the smallest animal in our herd, and I actually posted a pic of her at one time. She hung at 728 pounds, which I was impressed with as she was small height wise, but was a brick on sticks. I would of guessed much less actually. But I am a p.p. guesstimator. :lol:

I am not bragging, although I am very happy with the comments, because it is one thing to help feed someone, but another to feed them to the full extent of enjoyment. But mainly wanted to let people know how well the MG is doing for us, and I never would of gone down this path if it had not been for these boards.

BTW - We are purely free choice feeding. And free choice in full extent - pasture, hay, mineral, water, corn, room to roam.

Thanks everyone!

Michele

Michele,

I share your feelings when people seem to enjoy your beef. I like mine but I guess I'm prejudiced. It means more when others seem to enjoy it. I am convinced that more people would eat beef if they had the opportunity to try good beef that you know where it came from and what it was fed...

You mentioned free choice corn, are you grazing corn or how are you or did you feed it?

Congratulations.

Thats great! you are on your way sounds like. Hope you made a bundle. Sincerely, Donna

SRBeef":lx7bics6 said:
Michele,

You mentioned free choice corn, are you grazing corn or how are you or did you feed it?

Congratulations.

We grind cob corn, add some oats, mineral and salt. As they get closer to finished we then start adding in a bit of shelled corn to it.

We then put it in a "steer stuffer" so they can eat whenever they want. It is amazing how they tend to "self-time" their feedings with the corn. They seem to put themselves on a twice a day feeding morning and evening. I have never had an animal founder that started on our program that was born on the farm. Every one that foundered was an animal that came in as a heavier weaned, even if we ramped it up to full-feed. I have not figured this out yet. But luckily we have built up enough of a herd now that we do not have to purchase outside of our own animals.

I only finish as many as I am able to, without buying feed. And we have already started taking orders for next years finished animals. So, I am happy that we are building a good rep.

Michele

This calf is the one I thought was a "rat-tail" she looked so pathetic, she did always have a coat of hair, just not much of one. I did not have high hopes for her, but she finished beautifully. This pic was taken when she was 2 - 3 weeks old. I also did not sell her as weaned, cuz I thought I would get hammered on her at the barn so I kept her back to finish myself. Turned out a good decision.

Michele

mitch2":axs1x6zi said:
It is amazing how they tend to "self-time" their feedings with the corn. They seem to put themselves on a twice a day feeding morning and evening. I have never had an animal founder that started on our program that was born on the farm.

That is interesting - and what I have seen with grazing my standing corn. Everyone I talk to about it says I will have trouble, yet what I see is the same as you - they graze the corn, eating mostly the whole cobs, usually twice a day and seemed to have learned to limit themselves to a "safe" amount of corn consumption each day. Maybe the result of some massive tummy aches last fall but they seemed to have learned and will maybe pass that learning on as yours seem to.

One more question - are you selling on the hoof, processed, or ?? When do you harvest the fats?

Thanks for sharing your system, seems like you are on to something.

My wife loves the murrary grey. We are just getting started in the cattle biz and was wordering if you AI'ed? I am looking for a calving ease bull to use on our first time heifers any ideas. Glad to know I am not the only crazy that sees value in the MG.

SRBeef":13flmc79 said:
One more question - are you selling on the hoof, processed, or ?? When do you harvest the fats?

Thanks for sharing your system, seems like you are on to something.

We just start making a list of what everyone wants 1/4 or 1/2, and as the animal gets finished we start heading down the list. We sell by the hanging weight, and they pay the processing.

Michele

Latest posts