1st Heat after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
How soon after calving can a cow possibly have a heat? I don't want to know the optimal cycle, I want to know the 1st possible day a cow could have a remote possibility of being bred.

I've seen some breed back within 10 days of calving... doesn't happen too often, but it can occasionally. The vast majority have their first heat between 30 and 60 days post calving.

Earliest I've seen that carried the pregnancy full term is 17 days after calving.

milkmaid":1lbw9fvn said:
I've seen some breed back within 10 days of calving... doesn't happen too often, but it can occasionally. The vast majority have their first heat between 30 and 60 days post calving.
Back to vet school for you --this is impossible .....................

4CTophand":3quq4yrj said:
milkmaid":3quq4yrj said:

Or tag reading :p

Earliest I've seen them cycle was 7 days earliest we've had them settle(not the same cow) was around 28-30 days but we forced them to cycle so we could get them in synch with the others. Of a handful we tried it with only one didn;t settle.

4CTophand":16rss2hi said:
milkmaid":16rss2hi said:

Have we seen another re-incarnation? :nod:

i have seen several bred back 2weeks after calving, when my grandpa kept the bull in year round.
we bought a bull 2 years ago and when we unloaded him a cow was in heat her calf was 13 days old.

We have had a bunch do it from 21 to 40 days.

Had one this year that calved on 8/4 and last was 10/7 about 19 days using 283 average.

4CTophand":18cyjoap said:
milkmaid":18cyjoap said:

Believe it or not, doesn't matter to me. I've seen it happen.

A couple of years ago we had a late claver that was on the cull list. We sold the bull and the morning we were going to load him out he bred her, 15 days after she calved. She's now almost in sync with every one else.

KNERSIE":19nqy0rf said:
4CTophand":19nqy0rf said:
milkmaid":19nqy0rf said:

Have we seen another re-incarnation? :nod:

No but he thinks he's the reincarnation. Better listen to him ladies and gentleman. We have the guy who wrote all the books here.

Here is the story: I bought a cow who had lost her calf last spring. She calved March 15 and arrived here April 4 supposedly empty. My bull arrived June 18 and Mid Sept the vet confirmed all cows in calf and curly horns was 5.5 months according to him. Only explanation was she got bred before she got here. A farmer friend stopped in last night and I told him the story and he said it was absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for her to have been bred that early. Then I got thinking the seller was lying, (about when she lost the calf) so I thought I would ask y'all and it looks like it is quite possibly what happened.
Thanks!

Did she have a foster calf for the year? If not and she was dry she'd have a much better chance of cycling and settling early than if she was lactating.

No foster calf and I didn't get the feeling this seller was lying anyways....just when another 3rd generation cattleman tells you she couldn't have been bred before she got here if the calf was born March 15, then you get to wondering ..... She is just very fertile I guess and smart....: ya better either be nursing a calf or carrying one or u r on the butcher block! hehe Thanks Milkmaid for responding because I knew someone had said there was a possibility (though slim) but I didn't want to argue with the 3rd generation farmer til I got some facts to email him. He isn't a member of this board......

I had a calf born 2-15-08 and the same cow calved 12-20-08. Another calved 2-24-08 and again 12-24-08. So it looks like around 30 days after calving they can come in heat and settle.

Latest posts