1st Heat after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

When I moved our breeding season up two months from March to Jan. I had seen cows bred with calves at their side anywhere from 2 and a half weeks after calving and up and they held their pregnancies. I had one cow that was bred on her first heat and she aborted at 7 months..It is definitely not an ideal situation ,you should always allow a cow to have at least one heat after calving to clean before breeding.

But yes, to answer your question a cow can be fertile quite early after calving just like in humans..ever hear of two siblings 11 months apart in age....I have .. ;-)

Just like horses have a "foal heat" 7-10 days after foaling, we've had cows do the same.
We've had pretty good luck backing up (late) cows by putting them with the bull 4-5 days after calving. (Assuming they are in good shape and cleaned)

4CTophand":20330w5p said:
milkmaid":20330w5p said:
I've seen some breed back within 10 days of calving... doesn't happen too often, but it can occasionally. The vast majority have their first heat between 30 and 60 days post calving.
Back to vet school for you --this is impossible .....................

Why is it impossible? Horses do it all the time. I have bred MANY mares back on the foal heat. It actually seemed to produce some of the best results.

Pretty good record so far on the new
been registered less than a week and already told half the board they don't know shyt.

Red Bull Breeder":5yqhjtix said:
Reason is cause topcat says so 3way. :lol: If this is what we got in trade for Baxter i want Baxter back.

I thought it was all shannigans when people thought Baxter was TNMBP and vice versa. Pretty obvious it is/was. I see Baxter got zapped since the last time I logged on. This 4CTophand sure likes to tell people his opinion.

hillsdown":2mbkhwq1 said:
When I moved our breeding season up two months from March to Jan. I had seen cows bred with calves at their side anywhere from 2 and a half weeks after calving and up and they held their pregnancies. I had one cow that was bred on her first heat and she aborted at 7 months..It is definitely not an ideal situation ,you should always allow a cow to have at least one heat after calving to clean before breeding.

But yes, to answer your question a cow can be fertile quite early after calving just like in humans..ever hear of two siblings 11 months apart in age....I have .. ;-)

I hear they can be as little as 9 months, 15 minutes apart...IF you have a private room. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":3g08xyjo said:
hillsdown":3g08xyjo said:

I hear they can be as little as 9 months, 15 minutes apart...IF you have a private room. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to work with a lady who had a son and a daughter who were exactly 303 days apart in age. :eek:

bandit80":344s5f8x said:
Red Bull Breeder":344s5f8x said:
Reason is cause topcat says so 3way. :lol: If this is what we got in trade for Baxter i want Baxter back.

I thought it was all shannigans when people thought Baxter was TNMBP and vice versa. Pretty obvious it is/was. I see Baxter got zapped since the last time I logged on. This 4CTophand sure likes to tell people his opinion.

Now: If we can just get him to say something bad about CAB..................... ;-)

I had 2 cows have two 2008 calves 1. first calv 2-14-08 2nd calv 12-16-08 second cow first calv 1-11-08 2nd calv 11-29-08

Onthebit":2j9bzmiw said:
How soon after calving can a cow possibly have a heat? I don't want to know the optimal cycle, I want to know the 1st possible day a cow could have a remote possibility of being bred.
I have seen them in heat 30 days after calving but in order for her Uterine body to reach some normalcy post-calving she needs a lil more time. I suggest you breed cows back to stay within your calving season -- not early and not late.... , but it it nice to know that some cows will show a heat prior to that time. Normally we see our PB cows avg about 45 days post calving, But CIDR's go in about that time anyway.

T

It happens. Have one darned old Hereford cow that has done it twice at two weeks after she calved!
I let the bulls run out all winter with the cows and usually pull them out about a month after the first calf is born. Unfortunately this old girl got bred, not just one year but a couple of years later the same thing ! So I get this calf in early February! Then I have to keep the cow and calf in until the bulls come out on June 1st. Luckily she is getting around 13 so she'll be gone soon.
Had another little screw up two years ago. Had this little late born bull calf that never got cut. When we pulled the bulls my son said we'd better pull that little sucker too. Of course, thinking I know everything, said Oh he's only about 600 lbs. he'll never breed anything! The result...twelve early calves! The good thing is they turned out pretty good.

We had a first calf heifer calve in June (not on purpose, that's another story), we worried we'd never get her back on time. But she had her 2nd calf the following April, which is on time for us. So she conceived about 2 weeks after she calved. We had turned her out with the bull when the calf was a week old. Both were good calves, the April one is her best daughter so far. She is a purebred Tarentaise cow.

You see the short intervals a lot with Corriente cattle. Since they are smaller, their gestation may be a bit shorter than 283 days, but hardly any research has been done on them. And since the calves are quite small, less stress on Mom and she can cycle back sooner, maybe?

TexasBred":2gybuat5 said:
hillsdown":2gybuat5 said:

Not to steal the thread, but I have 2 nephews that one was born 2/20/01 and the other was born 11/27/01.

greatgerts":3ouaknj7 said:
TexasBred":3ouaknj7 said:
hillsdown":3ouaknj7 said:

Not to steal the thread, but I have 2 nephews that one was born 2/20/01 and the other was born 11/27/01.

WOW....must have had good insurance and got the private room in the hospital too. :lol2: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts