1st calves of the year!

Help Support CattleToday:

all4ahorse

Reaction score
I don't post often but I do read the boards frequently and enjoy learning about raising cattle. My husband & I own a 20 acre farm which we purchased in 2007, have a small herd of Herefords (with one black baldy mama cow) that are 'just mutts' (not registered/purebred). We started with 2 mama cows & their 2 mo old calves when we bought the place and we are now up to 11 which includes the 3 calves born last month. The photos below are of the first 2 calves of the year, born about 30 days ago. Both are bulls, soon to become steers. We are pretty proud of the 2nd one, he is built stouter than any of the calves we'd had yet and are looking forward to watching him grow (nice little pose he gave me as well). The 1st one is built pretty stout as well but doesn't have hardly any white on him. He is out of of our black baldy mama cow. We also had a heifer born during the same week, out of a first time calver (Hereford) but she is not built as nice as the boys, tall & lean looking. I got to play mid-wife with her and do a little pulling of the front legs as Mama was pushing because she was a large calf. Most of the photos I've seen here show some pretty darned nice calves....mine are not the same caliber but I'm still proud of them!
Connie

all4ahorse":13mx0r37 said:
I don't post often but I do read the boards frequently and enjoy learning about raising cattle. My husband & I own a 20 acre farm which we purchased in 2007, have a small herd of Herefords (with one black baldy mama cow) that are 'just mutts' (not registered/purebred). We started with 2 mama cows & their 2 mo old calves when we bought the place and we are now up to 11 which includes the 3 calves born last month. The photos below are of the first 2 calves of the year, born about 30 days ago. Both are bulls, soon to become steers. We are pretty proud of the 2nd one, he is built stouter than any of the calves we'd had yet and are looking forward to watching him grow (nice little pose he gave me as well). The 1st one is built pretty stout as well but doesn't have hardly any white on him. He is out of of our black baldy mama cow. We also had a heifer born during the same week, out of a first time calver (Hereford) but she is not built as nice as the boys, tall & lean looking. I got to play mid-wife with her and do a little pulling of the front legs as Mama was pushing because she was a large calf. Most of the photos I've seen here show some pretty darned nice calves....mine are not the same caliber but I'm still proud of them!Connie
mine probably aint either, but i aint losing sleep over it ;-) good looking calves

Nice calves, now you get to watch them grow--my favorite part of the whole process. Good Luck, Im sure you will do fine :)

Latest posts