1st Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
Bull calf born yesterday morning in the middle of one of the worst snow storms around here this Century. Got down to -14 last night but he survived & thus far is doing well. Beginners luck I suppose, but I'll definitely take it just hope it continues!!!!

Due to the storm I was late arriving he was already up & walking when I got there. Got him good & dry with a towel & his Mom did the rest. Very thankful I followed the advice of the folks on this board & bought cows that had a few calves already. Nothing better than showing up to a job that's already done & done right.

I am glad he survived in that cold temperature. A fine looking calf. Congratulations!

Yes branguscowgirl, we have a small 20x20 "barn" on the property the cows have free access to. It's divided into 2 10x20 stalls, she calved in one. Which was a good thing since there was about 15" of snow on the ground when she calved. They seemed comfy in there so I went ahead & threw down another bale of straw & locked them in, they've been in there ever since. I've cleaned it out & put down fresh straw everyday, but I think I'm going to open it back up & let them out today.

Jabes0623":128wtz91 said:
Yes branguscowgirl, we have a small 20x20 "barn" on the property the cows have free access to. It's divided into 2 10x20 stalls, she calved in one. Which was a good thing since there was about 15" of snow on the ground when she calved. They seemed comfy in there so I went ahead & threw down another bale of straw & locked them in, they've been in there ever since. I've cleaned it out & put down fresh straw everyday, but I think I'm going to open it back up & let them out today.

Good idea. The longer she stays inside the better the chance of a respiratory issue or scours.

The heifer is growing up more than out!...Oh & before you kill me for the backwards ear tag, that one was my wife. She had never tagged a calf before & her 1st attempt wasn't exactly perfect. However it has certainly made the heifer easy to identify, she's the only calf in Ohio with a backwards tag! I was going to replace it but it's turned into such a funny story I think I'm going to leave it be.

She is growing good! And tell your wife that her tag is just fine! I have a calf from a seasoned cattleman with a backwards tag. :lol:

3waycross":3gk70et7 said:
Heifer looks good. How's the ears on the first one looking.

His ears are looking good, got lucky.

I intended to get a couple of pics of him today but the rain came before I got the chance. I'll try & get a couple pics of him in the next few days.

Latest posts