1st calf steers.

Help Support CattleToday:

inbredredneck

Reaction score
I bought 2 loads of steers today, one load of first calf steers, I got heck of a deal on them $9 cwt cheaper than the other load, then again the second load were 2nd calf steers so they were bound to cost more.

I got a set of registered F1 first calf bulls for sale if your interested :cowboy:

Isomade":3b2jnbog said:
I got a set of registered F1 first calf bulls for sale if your interested :cowboy:
I really perfer second calf steers over first calfers, but how much you askin?

Just shout should you need various dictionary definitions, I'm sure someone can 'copy and paste' them for a better understanding :p

B&M Farms":228q3a3r said:
Come on guys. Yall know what he means. Has something to do with heiferettes I think.
Nothing to do with heiferettes, I'm talking real life first calf steers and second calf steers.

Lets see if I can interpret this right:

First-calf steers = steers from a first-calf heifer

Second-calf steers = steers from a second-calf cow or ~4-year old cow.

If that's not what it means then I'm lost.

LRTX1":13tsqg01 said:
I think it has something to do with 300lb yearlings or "yurlins"
300lbs heck bought a load of thems yearling once and they came off the truck with their navels not completely dry yet.

inbredredneck":3bs8otud said:
I bought 2 loads of steers today, one load of first calf steers, I got heck of a deal on them $9 cwt cheaper than the other load, then again the second load were 2nd calf steers so they were bound to cost more.

Cows (2 yr olds) first calves that were steered. Cows (3 year olds) second calves that were steered.

Why on earth would one ever advertise them this way ,even if they are extremely light for their age. They are steers and terminal, who really cares who the dams are at this point unless you are contract buying and know the BF Marbling etc . :?

hillsdown":2sgi0qwk said:
inbredredneck":2sgi0qwk said:

Cows (2 yr olds) first calves that were steered. Cows (3 year olds) second calves that were steered.

Why on earth would one ever advertise them this way ,even if they are extremely light for their age. They are steers and terminal, who really cares who the dams are at this point unless you are contract buying and know the BF Marbling etc . :?
Because first calf heifers and steers are smaller statured, Some sellers are honest, they don't want the buyer to remember that they had small calves. They advertise first calf heifers as well for the same reason they don't want the buyer to buy them as replacements, and feedlots don't want to pay second heifer money for first heifers.

Like was said earlier ... and your reasoning makes zero sense ..

Anyways, hope they all work out for you .. :tiphat: