1st calf of 2022

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I told my wife last week that our Akaushi (FB Red Wagyu) would be delivering in the next few days. Weather's been beautiful here for the last 2 weeks so we were hoping it would happen before the weather changed.
Storm came through yesterday with a couple inches of rain followed by hail, ice, and a couple inches of snow and 30 mile an hour winds.
Obviously a perfect day to have a calf !
Couldn't get close enough today to see if it's a bull or a heifer.
Just glad to see it up in nursing !
She is a really good cow and she has had great heifers....hoping for a bull this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_150927852_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220103_150927852_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20211226_130827031_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211226_130827031_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
@MurraysMutts -our bought girl gave us a little bull calf while we were at work. Half Brangus, he's going to be direct marketed, so not worried about color. That eye liner though!

Attachments

• C0DB5B9A-BF53-44B3-9105-1BD9B3EE2EA2.jpeg
    C0DB5B9A-BF53-44B3-9105-1BD9B3EE2EA2.jpeg
    933.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 311B770A-1C8F-4A85-94FE-B9A713BF6B21.jpeg
    311B770A-1C8F-4A85-94FE-B9A713BF6B21.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • EE46C377-D8E3-41D4-BE2E-2A1B7AF057FC.jpeg
    EE46C377-D8E3-41D4-BE2E-2A1B7AF057FC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
I told my wife last week that our Akaushi (FB Red Wagyu) would be delivering in the next few days. Weather's been beautiful here for the last 2 weeks so we were hoping it would happen before the weather changed.
Storm came through yesterday with a couple inches of rain followed by hail, ice, and a couple inches of snow and 30 mile an hour winds.
She is a really good cow and she has had great heifers....hoping for a bull this time.
Always come at the worst weather! 70 degrees 2-3 days ago and then 3-4 inches of snow and upper 20's when our first 22 baby showed up. Probably same storm system you got ; I'm in NE Alabama

Always come at the worst weather! 70 degrees 2-3 days ago and then 3-4 inches of snow and upper 20's when our first 22 baby showed up. Probably same storm system you got ; I'm in NE Alabama
Dang, didn;t realize y'all got that much snow. What town are you closest to> We were 78 Sunday, and 27 Monday morning. Rained Sunday, quit Sunday night when the cold snap came, and rained like hell Monday after the temps got in the high 30's/low 40's., so no snow here in NW Ga, Rome area.

Have you had freezer beef from your Akaushi? How do the calves finish out and how was the quality of the carcass if you did? I have been curious about them for a while for my personal beef.

Have you had freezer beef from your Akaushi? How do the calves finish out and how was the quality of the carcass if you did? I have been curious about them for a while for my personal beef.
Yes we have. It is excellent.
Of course it depends on the genetics and feed. The Reds have larger frame, (pic attached of Masterchef) better milker, and definitely more protective with their calves.
We are "crossing" Red & Black Wagyu. (Actually two different breeds ).
Talking about the last one we processed....We are getting incredible marbling, great taste and the tenderness is good but not mushy.
I think the dam and sire were SCD of 4 & 5. and both was AA fat.
This was 18 month Akaushi x Angus grass fed the last 3 months on grain.
Here are pics of a rump roast and strip steak.
Wagyu cattle can vary alot. If you go back and look at the foundation bulls you will see what appears to be skinny cows with no ass. But over the years using genetics the cattle have changed like most of the cattle of the last 100 years.
We have a lot of Australia influence in our heard. The Aussies are way ahead of the states with Wagyu. They produce Wagyu that is considered the best in the world by many ranchers. Not sure they will ever be better than Kobe though.

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_130051808.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210917_145439589.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210726-180431.png
    Screenshot_20210726-180431.png
    830.3 KB · Views: 23
Dang, didn;t realize y'all got that much snow. What town are you closest to> We were 78 Sunday, and 27 Monday morning. Rained Sunday, quit Sunday night when the cold snap came, and rained like hell Monday after the temps got in the high 30's/low 40's., so no snow here in NW Ga, Rome area.
We are on Sand Mt about halfway between Scottsboro and Ft Payne

I'm not a cattleman, but I do my best and love it.

Today was long at the day job. I arrived home after dark to build a fire in the wood stove and then feed cows.

I try really hard to not have any calves hit the ground before mid-February (that's when the days begin to be more favorable for them, and give me enough daylight to be more favorable on me too!)

Tonight I found this little rascal. Now going back to the house, so I can eat and start over, again. Tomorrow is a brand new day.

I'm not even sure who the momma is yet.

I love my day job, but this is special.
I hope everyone has a great year!
9233511C-35CC-421A-8D82-8B767C9CA4DD.jpeg

@Ouachita and Redgully - your cows look to be in great condition. Look good.
To me, the Akaushi looks too thin. Not talking lacking muscling, talking thin - BCS of maybe 4. But, I have a very hard time analyzing light muscled cattle. I am not trying to be insulting. Just pointing out my view. The red AI bull looked really good for the breed.
A storm will kick them into calving lots of times.
I have had 9 calves in the last 5 days - but, I plan to calve now. Love those little buggers!!!

I figured out the momma.

I bought 11 head from a neighbor who had to make an emergency trip to South Dakota just before Christmas 2019.

When he delivered them, there were 12. We named her Joplin, because she was loud, obnoxious, and bounced out of the trailer full of pizz and vinegar. It was a Christmas bonus.

About an hour later, Joplin's momma had another calf. We named her Thirteen.
I was going to part with the twins, Joplin and Thirteen, but thinking now I'll give them another chance. Still hoping Thirteen will domino soon.

Latest posts