1st calf heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
Stupid heifer calved Sunday and is beating on her calf I tie her up and she is letting her nurse sometimes kicking her won't tend to her though her mother and full sister are great mothers I don't get it. I have them in a small pen together right now to unite hopefully soon

shutskytj":2z2xcv1s said:
Stupid heifer calved Sunday and is beating on her calf I tie her up and she is letting her nurse sometimes kicking her won't tend to her though her mother and full sister are great mothers I don't get it. I have them in a small pen together right now to unite hopefully soon

I bet her udder is tender milk her and feed the calf force her to let it nurse. head gate, axe handle and rope required tools.
Come on Yank I had hope for you. If that is the problem after he nurses a few times she should be ok.
But sometimes you end up with one that just ain't a momma.

I agree with CB, I had three calves on the ground within 5 days and 2 of the calves took right to the udders with no problem from mom, the third mom however would raise her leg up when the calf tried to nurse. I put her in a squeeze chute and milked down the udders once I had my hands on them she reacted the same way to me but after milking them down a bit she stopped raising her leg to the calf and now after two days you can't get that calf off of her mom just stands there content and staring off into space while she nurses. Give it a bit and watch to make sure the calf's bodily functions are working if so if so that's a good sign it's nursing when your not looking. Good Luck to you.

When you say beating up the calf is she kicking it when it tries to nurse or going after it with her head like a homicidal lunatic? If it is just some kicking I would have to go along with CB's advice.

Not restricted to heifers. Had a cow that raised he frst calf just fine. Her second calf she would kick and butt all over the place. When she was in the headgate she stood fine. She would actually hunt the calf down out in th pasture to try to kill it. $56 cwt.

dun

Well she doesn't really go after it when the calve is not nursing only when the calf is nursing I have to stand there and she will not move and lets the calf nurse once I leave it is different I notice the calf will nurse but once the calf buts the udder the cow goes after her to get her off the calf is persistent though and keeps going back she knows where the food is I am hoping that the cow will at least let her nurse once I let them go out of the pen I will give it a couple more weeks. Once the calf nursed yesterday she was jumping around the pen happy. I keep the cow tied up over night just in case I had them loose all day together in a 12 X 12

Caustic believe me I am not putting up with her attitude she will let her nurse if I am standing there I had one do this in the past she would eventually just let her nurse but ignore it otherwise. The calf eneed up actually a good mother too.

Latest posts