1st calf heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
at what age do most wean a calf off of a first calf heifer?
I was talking with a man that weans all calves off of first calf heifers at 4 months. Thinks it will work out better in the long run on the cow.
What's some of the pros and cons on this idea?

I treat them same as cows. If I take calves off too soon, my cattle get over conditioned. No issues getting first or second calvers bred.

TCRanch":2xlljao6 said:
Bright Raven":2xlljao6 said:
I treat them same as cows. If I take calves off too soon, my cattle get over conditioned. No issues getting first or second calvers bred.

Same here.
Yup!

I was at work earlier when I replied and was about to leave, so I didn't have time to explain. I think it's asking a lot of a 2-year-old to nurse a calf and breed back on time while she's still growing herself. As you've seen, others disagree, and that's okay, but I'm going to keep doing what works for me.

Rafter S":30hh0gy9 said:
I was at work earlier when I replied and was about to leave, so I didn't have time to explain. I think it's asking a lot of a 2-year-old to nurse a calf and breed back on time while she's still growing herself. As you've seen, others disagree, and that's okay, but I'm going to keep doing what works for me.
It is asking a lot, but that is what they are bred to do. If they can;t do their job they need to find another employer.

I pull them at 5ish months. Heifers are on fescue with no supplements. I have tried 7 months but it pulls them to hard imo

Depends what you have to feed them. Around here the grass is often best after the calves hit four months and they rocket away, as does the condition of any heifer dams.

By 4 months post calving they should be bred back and the calves milk demand will have decreased. They will have 4-5 months to regain condition

Rafter S":2vdb26fr said:
I think it's asking a lot of a 2-year-old to nurse a calf and breed back on time while she's still growing herself.
Cows need to be pg at 90 days post calving to be bred back on time.
Weaning calves at 120 days accomplishes nothing as far as breeding back on time.
That's just closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

I'd suggest breeding heifers to calve 1 month before the cow herd so that 1st calf heifers then have an extra month
to get in shape for breeding and joining the cow herd schedule the next year.

I've tried the one month prior thing different times. All that does is force heifers to breed younger and push them up into worse winter weather for me. If they were a month early, they may as well be a month late next yr, calving season is still as long.

And a heifer stuck in the lot for an extra month wont do much better than one that calves going to grass right away. Heifers tend to breed quickly first time around, so it puts them at the start of my season anyways.

So as always - lots to consider.

Rafter S":1q5ggm81 said:
I think it's asking a lot of a 2-year-old to nurse a calf and breed back on time while she's still growing herself.
I kind of think along this same line, plus is this not the time what they are shedding their baby teeth I always was told that can be hard on them ????? that may not be right but have heard that saying for years ???
dun":1q5ggm81 said:
It is asking a lot, but that is what they are bred to do. If they can;t do their job they need to find another employer.
Can't say I would agree with this, I have seen some heifers pull down on first calf but go on an make nice cows from there on out ???

some very good ideas lots to think about. thanks

BRYANT":2gnj2mpf said:
Rafter S":2gnj2mpf said:
I kind of think along this same line, plus is this not the time what they are shedding their baby teeth I always was told that can be hard on them ????? that may not be right but have heard that saying for years ???
dun":2gnj2mpf said:
Can't say I would agree with this, I have seen some heifers pull down on first calf but go on an make nice cows from there on out ???

That's why I don't believe in breeding too soon. Some will say they can't wait 6 mo to breed but when you factor in loss, early weaning, heifer development, etc I think it pays long term to breed closer 2. There is a huge difference in a 14-16mo old heifer and a 20-22 mo old heifer.

BRYANT":pljkd0ug said:
Rafter S":pljkd0ug said:
dun":pljkd0ug said:

Being pulled down is one thing, they generally are. But if they can;t recover in the dry period from weaning till calving there is either something wrong with feed or the cattle.
The manage the cows you have to manage the grass

seem like late in the growing season the grass doesn't have much in it to bring a ''pulled down'' cow back on. so would it be better to wean early and feed calf or wean later and have to worry about the heifer being pulled down ?? I guess when they calve would have some to do with it mine calve later due to these Brahman cross cattle don't like the cold. I would like to calve in Jan. but I calve in April and May so by weaning time grass is pretty much just a filler. My cows always look fine its the heifers that pull down.

Latest posts