1st calf heifer late to calve?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm really new so not a lot of experience to draw on. Bought two bred heifers...both are Angus-sired..bred to low birth weight registered angus bull. Both are angus sired heifers...but one is large frame, one is medium frame. Both exposed to bull 3/17 to 4/14, 2002. The medium framed one showed for a long time, bagged up for about 2 weeks and then had a beautiful calf. The large framed one has not bagged up yet and is not really "showing" like the other one. Both are from the same small herd and were preg checked by the vet and cert. before the sale. Are there some cows that really do not show as much because of their frame size? My gest. calendar shows 1/24 as the date if she was bred the last day! Thanks!

[email protected]

Every one of them is different! She may bag just before she calves, a month before or right after. This far along, you may be able to see some calf movement low on the right side. Larger framed animals with small calves won't generally show as much as smaller framed cows. Remember too, upto two weeks early or late is considered pretty much normal with heifers.

dun

> I'm really new so not a lot of
> experience to draw on. Bought two
> bred heifers...both are
> Angus-sired..bred to low birth
> weight registered angus bull. Both
> are angus sired heifers...but one
> is large frame, one is medium
> frame. Both exposed to bull 3/17
> to 4/14, 2002. The medium framed
> one showed for a long time, bagged
> up for about 2 weeks and then had
> a beautiful calf. The large framed
> one has not bagged up yet and is
> not really "showing"
> like the other one. Both are from
> the same small herd and were preg
> checked by the vet and cert.
> before the sale. Are there some
> cows that really do not show as
> much because of their frame size?
> My gest. calendar shows 1/24 as
> the date if she was bred the last
> day! Thanks!

i went out to check on a limousin heifer that was due calving a few weeks ago (i have four of them, for fun), and i wouldn't have noticed a bloody thing. she was normal, no bagging, no getting up and laying down. even her temp was stabile. just standing there in the stable eating her food. this was at three o'clock in the morning. at seven, when i went to feed, the calf was standing next to her drinking. this is the first time this has happened to me, and i've been doing birth checks since i was ten years old. cows can be mighty weird creatures. especially heifers.

[email protected]

Latest posts