1st BP Revolver

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmac

Reaction score
I'm not much into black powder, I have a .50 209 barel for my T/C Encore that my grandson hunts with. I decided that I want a revolver. I am looking at the 1858 Remington new army in SS, any thoughts.
Mac

I have the Ruger old Army .45. I can't say I am real happy with the ignition system on the Ruger but the Ruger is supposed to be a high quality frame as far as that guys rather then the el-cheapo pistols.

I have several I have shot for years, a Uberti is my choice, I like the 1860 Army the best. If you want you can also buy after market conversion cylinders to shoot B/P or Cowboy load rounds.

hayray":2meo9gj1 said:
I have the Ruger old Army .45. I can't say I am real happy with the ignition system on the Ruger but the Ruger is supposed to be a high quality frame as far as that guys rather then the el-cheapo pistols.

I'm curious about the ignition problems. What problems are you having?

dun":d77pt1qw said:
hayray":d77pt1qw said:

It is the spark at the nipple as far as I can see. The caps do not seem to be fitting tight enough to the nipple, but rather sit off kinda high on the nipple. I went ahead and sanded the nipples a bit and that did help but it still does not seem to ignite as good as my cap and ball CVA carbine sized gun. I have not shot it in a long time eventhough it still is sitting on my desk and I see it everyday. I shot a downed deer with it twice and it acted like it never phased it. I think the ballistics on it are a little less then a S&W .38 special.

hayray":33lidvxy said:
dun":33lidvxy said:
hayray":33lidvxy said:

It is the spark at the nipple as far as I can see. The caps do not seem to be fitting tight enough to the nipple, but rather sit off kinda high on the nipple. I went ahead and sanded the nipples a bit and that did help but it still does not seem to ignite as good as my cap and ball CVA carbine sized gun. I have not shot it in a long time eventhough it still is sitting on my desk and I see it everyday. I shot a downed deer with it twice and it acted like it never phased it. I think the ballistics on it are a little less then a S&W .38 special.

If the cap isn;t fitting all the way down on the nipple the cap is the wrong size. Seems like every manufacurer uses a slightly different size nipple. I had a sinmiilar problem with a ML shotgun. I changed the nipples to those from one of my CVA rifles and the problem went away. I still have 2 sizes of cap but I hate having to have them around. Invariably I'll grab the wrong tin unless I take my shooting box when I first go out.

hayray":21lwtary said:
I did not know there were two different size caps?

I'll rummage around and see if I can find them both and mike them.

hayray":35wqpp16 said:
yeah that would be nice to find out what you have?
The remington caps aren;t marked as to the size but I think they're #10, the measure inside .1665 diameter X .1765 high inches (4.26X4.48 mm). The others are CCI (they make both 10 and 11) are .161 inside dimameter X.165 ubcges (4.09X4.20 mm).
I'll just wager you need #10 and you have #11. The #11 are by far the most common.

I just checked the owners manual and they aren;t specific as to which size to use. It says use either 10 or 11 so not much help there.

dun":4fvi5tqs said:
hayray":4fvi5tqs said:
yeah that would be nice to find out what you have?
The remington caps aren;t marked as to the size but I think they're #10, the measure inside .1665 diameter X .1765 high inches (4.26X4.48 mm). The others are CCI (they make both 10 and 11) are .161 inside dimameter X.165 ubcges (4.09X4.20 mm).
I'll just wager you need #10 and you have #11. The #11 are by far the most common.

I just checked the owners manual and they aren;t specific as to which size to use. It says use either 10 or 11 so not much help there.

Most Cap n Ball take a # 10 caps. Come to think I don't know that I have ever seen one that recomended a #11.

Latest posts