1st atempt at AI'ing

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
I have a friend of mine who is a Rep for a large semen company and I have been after him to let me know when he was going to have an AI class. He called last night and invited me to make the trip today to participate in an AI class at Auburn University. I was able to have hands on training with 8 other students. We ran about 18 cows thru and was able to get some valuable 1st hand traning. This AI experience was my 1st hands on since I had only watched before.

I walked away late this afternoon with the following:

-A greater apperication for my AI Tech
-Its harder than I could have imagned
-If you work hard, it will get eaiser as you practice
-Each cows feels different. The parts are bigger, small, shorter, longer, shallow or deeper.

It was a good day and I enjoyed it except for when I got sprayed. ;-)

I went for an AI class myself. See that you stay in practice after the class, it's something that you loose very fast, if you don't practice. I haven't had that much practice after the class.......now i'm paying the price.

I am happy to hear that you got something out of the class. I have been tirelessly trying to find a course within a state or two distance from us! I have yet in the last 3 years been successful. We want to AI badly but can not afford to have someone else do it.
If anyone knows of a class close to california I would be forever greatful for the help. I have been searching the internet and cattle magazines/newspapers tirelessly.
Thanks
Double R Ranch

Double R Ranch":2fty8vqd said:
I have been tirelessly trying to find a course within a state or two distance from us! I have yet in the last 3 years been successful. We want to AI badly but can not afford to have someone else do it.

Have you checked with the reps from Select Sires, GENEX or ABS? Have you talked with any of the dairy folks around you, they may be a source for information on possible schools? If I recall there is a bull stud or at least a rep around Turlock amd there used to be one by Norco.
Something to keep in mind is if you don;t have a local rep from one of the studs, you may have to travel a good distance to keep your tank filled. Just a side thought

dun

[/quote]Have you checked with the reps from Select Sires, GENEX or ABS? Have you talked with any of the dairy folks around you, they may be a source for information on possible schools? If I recall there is a bull stud or at least a rep around Turlock amd there used to be one by Norco.
Something to keep in mind is if you don;t have a local rep from one of the studs, you may have to travel a good distance to keep your tank filled. Just a side thought

dun[/quote]

Thank you Dun for responding! The local dairy folks have not been that great. We are smaller scale but trying to grow. They don't want anything to do with us. They use a mobile AI person. We have a beef breeder that has let me help with the sinc. process but never have been able to be there for the AI person who comes out. He told me that the guy who comes out won't tell me anything.
This is why I want to take an actual course. I have a fellow breeder who would be interested in letting me practice on his cattle as well;)
I will keep trying. I have tons of e-mails into people hoping one will pay off. Thanks for the help!
Double R

Where/who does the dairy get their semen from?

I just checked some earlier sources and the place I thought was in Turlock was in Hughson and the one I thought was in Norco was in Corona. Both places are out of business it appears.
Have you asked at UC Davis?

dun

dun":2hbgjp6r said:
Where/who does the dairy get their semen from?

I just checked some earlier sources and the place I thought was in Turlock was in Hughson and the one I thought was in Norco was in Corona. Both places are out of business it appears.
Have you asked at UC Davis?

dun

Dun,
The dairy men around her only tell me that they have there AI tech do everything. That is all I get.
I have e-mailed UC Davis many times with no response. Numerous different people. I currently have another e-mail into a rep. of UC Davis that is supposed to help local ranches.
I really appreciate the help! I am desperate to get my spouse off my back and start our AI program.
Thanks a thousand times over!
Double R

Northern Rancher":264ibfcg said:
Take a road trip up to Canada there are alot of schools put on up here.

I would probably if I knew where to find them. That is the problem we are having.
Thanks for the reply.
Double R

I frequently have problems getting [eop[le to respond to email. When I deon;t hear anything in a timely manner, 3-4 days, I jump on the evil instrument of the devil (telephone) and rattle their cage that way

dun":2vw3yay0 said:
I frequently have problems getting [eop[le to respond to email. When I deon;t hear anything in a timely manner, 3-4 days, I jump on the evil instrument of the devil (telephone) and rattle their cage that way

Thanks Dun,
I will give that a try again. See what I can dig up. Maybe there are some new people who actually care about other there now..
Double R

Here;s the phone number for cutomer service in the Phone number in the gnetics lab. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.
(530) 752-2211

dun":347ktjxw said:
Here;s the phone number for cutomer service in the Phone number in the gnetics lab. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.
(530) 752-2211

Thank you. This is a number that I haven't tried. I will try it tomarrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for the help!
Double R

Lakeland college-Vermillion Albertas has one every spring for sure. I'll ask my district manager if there are any more coming up this spring. Heck fly me down there and I'll teach you one on one for a couple days. I've done that before-set cattle up in a synch program and then went a couple days early-when the cows are ready to breed the student has at it. If they get tired or have trouble I'm there to help. i wouldn't set up 200 but 10 or 20 is a nice number to start with. You'd get to use it before you forget.

Double R Ranch":2d5tdt94 said:
I have e-mailed UC Davis many times with no response. Numerous different people. I currently have another e-mail into a rep. of UC Davis that is supposed to help local ranches.

DoubleR, if you haven't gotten any response yet I can give my mom a call. She lives in Davis and knows or works with a lot of the folks over there. I'm sure she could help point ya' in the right direction!

Northern Rancher":3ak7njt6 said:
Lakeland college-Vermillion Albertas has one every spring for sure. I'll ask my district manager if there are any more coming up this spring. Heck fly me down there and I'll teach you one on one for a couple days. I've done that before-set cattle up in a synch program and then went a couple days early-when the cows are ready to breed the student has at it. If they get tired or have trouble I'm there to help. i wouldn't set up 200 but 10 or 20 is a nice number to start with. You'd get to use it before you forget.

Thank you for the help. I will let you know how it goes and maybe we can get you here! Always enjoy spending time with fellow ranchers.
I have 30+ set up to AI when I finish a course for another ranch and mine aren't up for breeding yet. Already bred. I will work it out. Maybe it will work out to get you here for mine first. Then I can AI his.
Take care. We'll keep in touch.
Double R

dun":kas95ad4 said:
Double R Ranch":kas95ad4 said:
I have been tirelessly trying to find a course within a state or two distance from us! I have yet in the last 3 years been successful. We want to AI badly but can not afford to have someone else do it.

Have you checked with the reps from Select Sires, GENEX or ABS? Have you talked with any of the dairy folks around you, they may be a source for information on possible schools? If I recall there is a bull stud or at least a rep around Turlock amd there used to be one by Norco.

dun

Liquid Nitrogen is always available at Welding Supplies stores.

AAOK":1sbuyyak said:
dun":1sbuyyak said:
Double R Ranch":1sbuyyak said:

dun

Liquid Nitrogen is always available at Welding Supplies stores.

The only source around here is Springfield. The welding supply joints around here don;t carry it.

dun

Howdy yal
Thanks for all the help. Just wanted to update you and let you know that I found a course in Washington in July, but as of today am on a list for the first available course in northern or southern (just past fresno) california. It is $300.00 and four hours a day for four days! I am so excited!
Thanks to everyone for the help! I found these courses threw names and numbers you all gave me!!!
Hope everyone is happy and healthy! Thanks again!
Double R
P.S. We have liquid nitro at a manufacturer close by. Getting the tank on e-bay. Now all I got to do is get it filled!