1996 Powerstroke

Help Support CattleToday:

gtcattle

Reaction score
Keeps blowing the #22 (30amp) lg fuse under the hood. Book tells me it controls the glow plug relay, power control module, 200 amp generator/voltage regulator, and fuel line heater. Turn key on after placing new fuse in and wait to start light comes on, flickers and then goes out. Check fuse and it's blown. Does any one have any suggestions.
Thanks a million for any ideas.

Take out your fuel filter, look down in the assembly at the heater grid. It's typical that they come lose or get jarred around. If so it causes a short. Bad news is it will cost you about $399 to replace the fuel bowl and assembly. It's worth a look anyways.

Unplug your fuel heater, I know guys that have been in -10 degree weather with it unpluged and not needed it, just a fix untill you want to fix it or dont worry about it, these trucks are prone to this, stupid how Ford rigged it up with the PCM.

By the way, if you want some extra EXCELLENT info join up on thedieselstop.com, great group of people with TONS of info about the older Fords and any Ford diesels.

Replace the glow plug relay. It is located over on the left valve cover as you face the engine from the front. Remove the black cover to get to it. It is basically a Ford starter solenoid. You apply 12VDC to the little stud and it will turn the solenoid on and allow 12VDC to warm the glow plugs. You can remove the output side (to glow plugs) and try again. If it still pops the fuse then the glow plug relay is not the problem but the load (glow plugs) or wiring harness may be shorted somewhere going to them.

One side of the solenoid will be hot all the time. When you turn the key on it will energize the glow plug relay by applying 12VDC to the little pole on the solenoid. This will turn the solenoid on and apply 12VDC to the glow plugs.

I have seen two types of "glow plug controllers" but both were located where I said and operate the same way.

Let us know what you find.

Unplugged the fuel line heater, replaced the fuse and she cranked right up. No blown fuse!!

Just wanted to say many thanks, you guys helped me a bunch.

Latest posts