1994 ford f super duty opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
what do yall think of this model truck? i have never owned a diesel pickup before, and looking for one i can pull a gooseneck for hay and tractors etc. neighbor has one for sale, it looks to be in decent shape. will need tires in the near future. its got the 7.3 turbo with 5 speed. 10ft flatbed with the gooseneck ball already in the bed. he is asking 1500 for it, which seems like a decent deal to me. going to take a closer look and test drive it in couple of days what do i need to be looking for.

they weren't powerhouses but they lasted OK.. they need glow plugs if you walk by them with an ice cream cone. Glow plug replacement is pretty common. If it's not totally bagged out it sounds like a decent truck.. Can't go wrong on that price.
I'm guessing 2wd?

Did the 1994 PS have a turbo? For the price a good deal, as these are the simple IDI indirect injection engines and at that HP want be a powerhouse, but good as a gas burner.

jltrent said:
Did the 1994 PS have a turbo? For the price a good deal, as these are the simple IDI indirect injection engines and at that HP want be a powerhouse, but good as a gas burner.
I answered my on question as 1994 was the first year with the turbo added on the IDI PS.

jltrent said:
jltrent said:
I answered my on question as 1994 was the first year with the turbo added on the IDI PS.

The powerstroke didn't become available till late in 1994. Ford put a turbo on the 7.3 in 1993 and maybe the later diesels in 1992 trucks. They were not powerstroke engines, but very good all the same.

jltrent said:
jltrent said:

1994 was also a split year, the latter part of the year saw the transition to the direct injection PowerStroke engine. The early trucks were IDI and had a plain "Turbo Diesel" badge on the tailgate and front fender. I've owned a half dozen of the IDI non-turbo engines and about the same of the 94.5-97 model PS engines, but never a turbo IDI. I miss the simplicity of the IDI engines, but it's getting harder and harder to find them in a truck that isn't trashed. I sold my last one last summer for that very reason, would own another in a heartbeat as a feed truck.

If the '94 from the OP's question is a Super Duty (F450), it's a 2wd with a mono-beam front axle and 10 lug wheels. One of my neighbors owns a '97 SD that was converted to 4wd by an aftermarket company (Marmon Harrington???) and quite a few of the front axle parts are no longer available. His sat for 6 months last year while he was looking for brake calipers.