Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
The comment, We are not the same country today we were 50 years ago, got me thinking about 1968.

In 1968 16,592 Americans were killed and 87,388 Americans were wounded in Vietnam.
The average age of those Americans killed or wounded in 1968 was 19.8 years old.
That's an average of over 45 (kids) killed and 238 wounded every single day, day in and day out, for the entire year!

My point is the problems we have today seem dwarfed when compared to what was happening in 1968.
I was young and happy in 1968 as were most others old enough to remember 1968 - but our country was not.

Off topic: Gun violence as a mental health issue.
The majority (59%) of the gun related deaths in America (and the world) are from suicide.
USA 59%
Australia 79%
Canada 77%
France 76%

Clearly those that commit suicide have mental health issues (the same goes for most of those that kill others too)

I turned 18 in August 1968. In September 1968, I enrolled in college under a College deferment.

You are spot on!!! My high school mates were being killed in Vietnam. My brother was drafted in 1969. He was a soldier in the infantry. He was an APC driver in charge of a crew of 4. The 50 cal machine gun on top was used for putting down a fire cover rather than transporting personnel. He was wounded twice and came home with a purple heart.

My cousin, Johhnny, was sent home in a box. A helicopter pilot, shot down and burned to death.

It is too easy to forget the heart aches of that era.

I am sure 1968 was bad and I would say the great depression wasn't good either. I think the biggest problem of today, that is worse than then, is the break down of the family. There are so many more problems that are connected to split families, no family, family drug problems, etc. etc. that wasn't as much of a problem then. I would agree there is nothing worse than war though.

jltrent":17as9f5c said:
I think the biggest problem of today, that is worse than then, is the break down of the family.
There are so many more problems that are connected to split families, no family, family drug problems, etc. etc.
that wasn't as much of a problem then.
It wasn't just the war in 1968 there were so many other turmoils brewing from JFK to MLK, RFK assassinations and
the respect of authority and trust in justice.

The breakdown of the family was already on...a common saying was don't trust anyone over 30. I never bought into it,
but others did. I trace the breakdown in family values to 1964 and LBJ's well meaning disaster of a "great society"
program which unintentionally devalued marriage and the male's role in family responsibility by instituting the idea
that government could be your daddy and take care of you.
But you are right, it has snowballed downhill ever since.
The '60s were also the beginning of our drug acceptance and problems which have snowballed out of control too.

1968 abortion was illegal in all 50 states and never recorded, so no way of knowing IF 15K or 150k is correct.

Underground (illegal) floating abortion clinics existed in major cities all through the '60s.
1964 28 yr old mother of 2 died from illegal abortion, photo of her corpse used to rally support for legalization.

1970 Hawaii became 1st state to legalize abortion.
1971 6 more states followed suit
1972 13 more states legalized abortion bringing total to 20
1973 Roe vs Wade ruling legalized abortion in all 50 states

Twas an interesting year for sure. I enlisted on a 120 day delay program in the Marines that year. Flew to boot camp on Feb 23 '69.

I was certainly thinking about National Service, I would have to register the following year at age 18, pretty serious stuff, National Service men were also being brought home to Australia in coffins.

Ken

In 1968 - 107 Australians were killed 76 regular army 31 national servicemen and 699 were wounded.

3,629 Australian casualties from 1962-1972 in Vietnam 500 killed and 3,129 wounded

Son of Butch":32rwn2zh said:
In 1968 - 107 Australians were killed 76 regular army 31 national servicemen and 699 were wounded.

3,629 Australian casualties from 1962-1972 in Vietnam 500 killed and 3,129 wounded

The US casualties were massive. I think the Australian role was more patrolling gained territory rather than direct conflict in the big pushes.

Ken

Vietnam, all for what? That's the question I cannot find an answer for. I can see the need to sacrifice US lives in the middle east for our life, liberty and freedom. The muslims declared war on us a long time ago, and they have black gold.

wbvs58":1l9z015c said:
Son of Butch":1l9z015c said:

The US casualties were massive.
I think the Australian role was more patrolling gained territory rather than direct conflict in the big pushes.
Ken
Yes, USA took the brunt of it, but we had allies that sacrificed their lives too.
I posted the numbers when you mentioned Australia, because the vast majority of Americans are totally unaware
we had friends helping that were killed too.

Australia 500
Canada 117
New Zealand 36
Thailand 350
South Korea over 4,000

True Grit Farms":1ocik32h said:
Vietnam, all for what?
That's the question I cannot find an answer for.
I can see the need to sacrifice US lives in the middle east for our life, liberty and freedom.
The muslims declared war on us a long time ago, and they have black gold.
Obviously you love commies and hate muslims.
In addition you want to model USA after France and French Colonialism by taking resources (black gold) by force.
For all your lip service.... so very Un-American.
:tiphat:

:pop:

Son of Butch":7y8inxso said:
True Grit Farms":7y8inxso said:
Vietnam, all for what?
I can see the need to sacrifice US lives in the middle east for our life, liberty and freedom.
In addition you want to model USA after France and French Colonialism by taking resources (black gold) by force.

I call it like I see it, not that it's right or wrong. To me being Un - American is not wanting to kill every dang one of those terrorists varmints. Remember 9/11/01, A New York City boy does and has the cock roaches scrambling.

Son of Butch":1zgpqjjd said:
True Grit Farms":1zgpqjjd said:
Vietnam, all for what?

What I think a lot of people do is - they see a bandwagon going by with their friends on it - (read friends to mean those who validate their own values and philosophy) so they just jump on. They don't think.

TexasBred":o4sc775n said:
And only 15K abortions in the US that year.
One of the abortions that year was a 16 year old daughter of one of the women that worked where I was employed. Happened upstairs above the drug store. The old druggist run the abortion clinic which was not legal. Yes the young woman got the abortion but she also lost her life from a blood clot. If it had been at a authorized abortion legal clinic the young woman would be alive today.

True Grit Farms":3qsce9yl said:
Vietnam, all for what? That's the question I cannot find an answer for. I can see the need to sacrifice US lives in the middle east for our life, liberty and freedom. The muslims declared war on us a long time ago, and they have black gold.

To stop the dreaded spread of communism there that is your answer so quite looking.

hurleyjd":2xo5dx5u said:
TexasBred":2xo5dx5u said:
And only 15K abortions in the US that year.
One of the abortions that year was a 16 year old daughter of one of the women that worked where I was employed. Happened upstairs above the drug store. The old druggist run the abortion clinic which was not legal. Yes the young woman got the abortion but she also lost her life from a blood clot. If it had been at a authorized abortion legal clinic the young woman would be alive today.
And if she had gone ahead and given birth she might have beautiful grandchildren today.

Latest posts