1960's Revisited

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Those were the days!!

Saw on MSNBC news where Colorado has legalized medical marijuana. Said there were about 9,000 people who had prescriptions. Boulder, CO. was one of the major sources...surprise, surprise...! Any of you Coloradoites know about Boulder...lol.

They said the MJ was incorporated into some other things...didn't say (or admit) that "patients" could buy leaves also.

The State was anticipating a large Sales Tax revenue boost from sales.

On another note, recently Texas law enforcement confiscated (if I remember correctly) about 6,000 MJ plants in somewhere in the Central Texas region which were being grown "out in the open"...duh!

Any 60's or 70's flower children out there?

I was just a child in the sixties and seventies, but I have read a lot on the Alzheimers boards about
"compassionate states" that sell medical MJ and other stuff. You can get just about anything you can think of with MJ in it, beverages, things to eat, treats... Oregon is also a compassionate state, too, or so I hear. You have to have a script to get it and you have to carry around proof that you are getting it legally. You can grow it for your own purposes. People are using it for everything from dementia to depression and everything in between.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are good medical applications for the stuff. I also see the possibility for abuse, just like a pain pill. You might as well make the stuff legal. The folks who are gonna use it are going to use it. The folks who won't, won't. Might put a dent in some of this drug violence on the borders.

I was born in the last part of the 50's so the 60's were not quite my time for worldly living. I remember the flower chilcren, Janis Joplin etc. There were a lot of great songs on the radio and unrest amongst the older generation.

Gerts were the animal to own. The calves brought big bucks. Everything was square bales.

In the 70's a radical old disc jockey planted his garden. A roll of practically everything in that garden plus a roll of MJ as a joke. The seeds came from a dealer. That MJ was the largest row in that garden and soon surpassed just about everything in heighth. Cops were driving by every day and no one suspected that old man of anything wrong. Nevertheless he became so concerned that he removed the plants and sold them to that dealer for big bucks. He made so much money that he began to do it every year until he had a heart attack and left this life.

It was legal until about 70 years ago. I always figured that when the gov't figured out how to tax it and get their cut out of it that it would become legal again. Like Lammie said those who use it will continue to and those who don't won't. Looks like California is opening the doors for everyone else to push it through.

Lammie":1s3oqizo said:
I was just a child in the sixties and seventies, but I have read a lot on the Alzheimers boards about
"compassionate states" that sell medical MJ and other stuff. You can get just about anything you can think of with MJ in it, beverages, things to eat, treats... Oregon is also a compassionate state, too, or so I hear. You have to have a script to get it and you have to carry around proof that you are getting it legally. You can grow it for your own purposes. People are using it for everything from dementia to depression and everything in between.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are good medical applications for the stuff. I also see the possibility for abuse, just like a pain pill. You might as well make the stuff legal. The folks who are gonna use it are going to use it. The folks who won't, won't. Might put a dent in some of this drug violence on the borders.

Lammie, just ride down to Abbott Texas and if you see Willie Nelson's bus at the old homeplace you know there is a big "baggy" in town. :lol2: :lol2:

Since Steve stopped working in Waco I seldom get that way anymore.

TexasBred":22py363g said:
Lammie":22py363g said:

Lammie, just ride down to Abbott Texas and if you see Willie Nelson's bus at the old homeplace you know there is a big "baggy" in town. :lol2: :lol2:
from what i hear, he likes too make sure there plenty avalible, were ever he's performing

Bammy....it's like American Express...don't leave home without it. That's Willie's motto. :lol2: Or maybe it's "Smok'em if you got'em".

I have read that people give it to him wherever he goes. I also read where he'd rather do than than drink because he's a mean drunk. He's in his seventies now. I always wondered what happened to old hippies. Are they smoking it in the nursing home? Do they use it in a nebulizer? Willie's old lungs should be about shot by now. When he passes away, my husband's gonna have to take a week off. I finally convinced him to make a rag out of his old concert shirt as it had a hole in it big enough to put your fist through. Not fit to mow in anymore.

Somewhere along about 1973, some guys I knew were growing some MJ in their secluded back yard. I think they must've had only one plant of any size. An aquaintance of theirs, to whom they had made the mistake of showing the plant, stole it. Using unfortunate and irrational logic, they kidnapped the plant thief and demanded several thousand dollars ransom from the thief's Mother. Ended up, some guys did some some hard time over this.

ga. prime":3l671m7n said:
Somewhere along about 1973, some guys I knew were growing some MJ in their secluded back yard. I think they must've had only one plant of any size. An aquaintance of theirs, to whom they had made the mistake of showing the plant, stole it. Using unfortunate and irrational logic, they kidnapped the plant thief and demanded several thousand dollars ransom from the thief's Mother. Ended up, some guys did some some hard time over this.

A friend of mine had a somewhat similar experience.
He was growing in buckets in his yard (1.5 acres +/-) on the edge of a small town. Some neighborhood kids found it and stole it. The kids got caught before they got home with the stuff. (The town is less than 1000 people. Everyone looks out the window. Did I just see a 15 yr old with an armload of weeds? Why is that kid carrying weeds home?)
The kidnapping and ransom thing is unfortunate and irrational. What would ever make someone think that was a good idea? Oh, maybe too much weed had an influence. :lol2:

I used to find victory gardens quite frequently in the woods. I think meth has replaced its popularity cause I haven't found any in some time. Or maybe they are better at hiding it. I wish I had had a digital camera to take pictures of the last garden I found. It was beautiful. Had frost coming off the flower buds and it was only September. Somebody definitely knew what they were doing. :nod:

Well ALl i cAn TellL you iz , Well i MEan It'S liKe this, YOu knoW , Um Uh Wate A MiNute ,Wut WEre We talKing AbOut?

Jogeephus":1mkbgtbe said:
I used to find victory gardens quite frequently in the woods. I think meth has replaced its popularity cause I haven't found any in some time. Or maybe they are better at hiding it. I wish I had had a digital camera to take pictures of the last garden I found. It was beautiful. Had frost coming off the flower buds and it was only September. Somebody definitely knew what they were doing. :nod:

So, you're saying they gave it the dry ice treatment? I always thought that was a myth.

ga. prime":313y5ite said:
Jogeephus":313y5ite said:

So, you're saying they gave it the dry ice treatment? I always thought that was a myth.

Don't know about dry ice but there were frost looking crystals coming out from the buds. I could squeeze it in my hand and release it and pull my had away and it would stick to my hand for some time. They were pretty. Smelled to high heaven but nonetheless pretty.

I wish they would legalize it, with heavy regulation and taxes like alchohol. Seems like nobody learned anything from Prohibition.

I remember back in the 1970's, the organization NORML was gaining ground and seemed like they were really making headway with public opinion. Then, their president went all stupid and took the position on 60 Minutes or some such that ALL drugs should be legal, cocaine, heroin, everything. Poof, public support evaporated along with any in Washington DC.

Latest posts