1949 Farmall Cub - Sandblast before paint?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Hey I have a CUB that the paint is faded and has some rust spots on the tractor and I want to dress it up but dont want to completely take the cub apart. I want to clean it up and paint it and put new decals and battery box etc. Do you think the tractor would look good if I didnt sandblast it but used whire wheel to clean up rough spots then prime and paint or should I sandblast the hole tractor then paint and prime. Suggestions and comments welcome... :help:

If you're not going to take it apart, don't sand blast. The sand will get into places you'd rather it not. You can make most old tractors look alot better by simply painting the wheels, fenders, and sheetmetal. Removed from tractor of course.

I was planning on powerwashing with degreaser while tractor is on 4 jack stands letting it dry then prime it and paint it. I would take the hood off and lightly spray the motor. but leave fenders on and spray everything else. bad idea?

Around here they call that a "Dupont overhaul". If you're going to do it, do it right and strip it down wethr you sandblast it or not

We call it a 'Krylon overhaul'. Same thing. I think a tractor thats been painted like that looks worse than if just left alone. Especially when they paint the alternator wiring, oil filter, fan belts, edges of tires, and the hoses. Yuck

Unless you're planning on entring it in beauty contests why paint it. It has character the way it is!

Now that you've posted pics, I say leave it alone. dun is right, they have character. If I were buying, it would be worth more to me like it is, versus after somebody tried to spray paint at it. I have a Jubilee thats all original, and it's staying that way; faded paint, some minor rust, blue jeans keep the fat bottom seat polished :D

Ouachita":adi0seq9 said:
Now that you've posted pics, I say leave it alone. dun is right, they have character. If I were buying, it would be worth more to me like it is, versus after somebody tried to spray paint at it. I have a Jubilee thats all original, and it's staying that way; faded paint, some minor rust, blue jeans keep the fat bottom seat polished :D
I bought a Jubilee 30 some years ago that came in pieces. I completely restored it and painted so it looked like facotry new. I couldn;t bring myslef to hardly use it and sold it an bought an tractor that looked like crap but workd good. The funny part was that I stopped by the guys place about 5 years after I sold it to him and it was sitting exactly where I had unloaded and was buried in sand and tumble weeds. He splained to me that "There's a big difference betwen needing and wanting" and he just wanted it.

I like em cleaned up and painted, this is as far as we take ours. we just use the wire wheel on most parts and sand the sheetmetal parts. Dad has already run this one up a tree :( before i could all finished pictures.

afterpaint2.jpg

I agree with the other guy, DO NOT blast it if you don't dismantle. As stated you will have grit in places you never thought possible and cause more problems than you ever thought possible.

Great point everyone... I will leave it as is..If I need to rebuild the motor or something... I will go ahead and take it apart and paint it completely and sand blast...

Latest posts