1930's Nebraska Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

When I got to the hay equipment and all that work, no thank you. Great video as I also wonder about the video camera availability then.

Yes, that L shaped fork for picking up the hay and rolling it onto the pile and being powered by a tractor off to the side was ingenious. That guy on top got a dust bath each time.

I was amazed at how people dressed. Probably no such thing as skin cancer then.

When I got to the hay equipment and all that work, no thank you. Great video as I also wonder about the video camera availability then.
I was out and about in the Dakotas and saw those big piles of hay. It gave me something to ponder.

Yes, that L shaped fork for picking up the hay and rolling it onto the pile and being powered by a tractor off to the side was ingenious. That guy on top got a dust bath each time.

I was amazed at how people dressed. Probably no such thing as skin cancer then.
My grandmothers went full on when they worked the fields. A bonnet that extended out over their face, long sleeves, totally covered with cotton jersey gloves even in the heat of summer hoeing cotton.

I liked seeing that overshot in use. Up here I think the beaver slides were the common choice, and I did get to see one of those used.
That looked like a very large operation for the time. Looked like a race track in a few of the shots.

Latest posts