1911 .45's?

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22":txhor20f said:
We went and looked at the 1911's again and I really like the Kimber ultra crimson carry II but it's a little pricey. Have you guys shot one of these compact 1911's? :???:

I don't really care for a compact 1911 that is just me.
Why do you want a compact. If you are looking to really cut weight and size for hot concealed carry there is the Springfield XD slim.

Why do you want a laser?
If something goes bump in the night I don't want an intruder seeing a red light as he know's where I am. All I want him to see is a muzzleflash.
If you are really serious about a 1911 you will need to put hundred's of round's down range until it becomes second nature and a natual extension of your arm.

You need to learn the condition's of a 1911 and how you will carry and become proficent in them. This is a single action semi auto

Condition 0 – A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off. Condition for bad guy in the house followed by trigger being squezzed.
Condition 1 – Also known as cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.
Condition 2 – A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.
Condition 3 – The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.
Condition 4 – The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

Most people carry in condition 1 or Condition 3.
If you carry in condition 3 you need to learn how to slingshot that pistol as second nature.
This is WWII military style carry.
Condition 2 is not a safe way to carry.

ousoonerfan22":28epy1nt said:
We went and looked at the 1911's again and I really like the Kimber ultra crimson carry II but it's a little pricey. Have you guys shot one of these compact 1911's? :???:
I own a compact Rock Island and it is great to carry. Have not shot it but a couple times but it seems to do fine. Shoot at 10 yards and im pretty sure it would be ok. The Springfield XDS feels great also and is even smaller but I have not shot one yet.

I don't know CB this compact gun just felt good in my hand and I thought it would be a good gun to carry. I figured the laser sight would for sure get you on target if a bad guy broke in during the night, I hear what you're saying though. I was looking online at the Springfield XD's but spent more time checking out the 1911's,what about their mil spec 1911?
If I carried I would probably leave the chamber empty. That's what I would do with the vaquero with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.

ousoonerfan22":2ojdkqoh said:
I don't know CB this compact gun just felt good in my hand and I thought it would be a good gun to carry. I figured the laser sight would for sure get you on target if a bad guy broke in during the night, I hear what you're saying though. I was looking online at the Springfield XD's but spent more time checking out the 1911's,what about their mil spec 1911?
If I carried I would probably leave the chamber empty. That's what I would do with the vaquero with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.

Buy what you like son and are comfortable with. A carry gun is no good if you don't carry it. I was just trying to explain there is a lot of difference in a Glock type pistol and a 1911 for carry or home protection. There is a big difference in a single action semi and a double this is no where close as in a revovler. You really need to shoot both before you buy.
Again IMO again buying a 1911 shooting a box out of bullet's and putting it on the nightstand waitng for the bad guy will get you in trouble. Condition 0 is the only one that it is just pull the trigger and that is not safe. Cocked and Locked Condition 1 is the way the majority are left. Again just me I am not comfortable with condition 1 on the nightstand or in the closet when I am not around. I carry in condition 1.
Condition 3 is how I leave the pistol on the nightstand. You better know what you are doing and how to slingshot that pistol as second nature if something goes bump in the night.
That Sprinfield is an imported gun like most everything else, doesn't make it bad just don't fall for the hype.
A 1911 is a combat weapon they are heavy and not the best for concealed carry IMO.
I carry one rountinely in the winter just not a summer time gun again IMO. Hot weather I carry a Colt Government 380 or and LCP 380.

CB,
How do you carry your 1911 hip or shoulder holster?
What 1911's are made in the USA? I'm not knocking the imported guns just getting tired of having buy other countries products.
I know they're good guns but I'm not a fan of glock type handguns,I like the older stuff.
But I'm going to have to buy that Ruger 380 with the laser sight for my wife,that's what she wants.

ousoonerfan22":b67nelsl said:

I have a Kimber Pro-Carry II which is a compact version in-between the ultra carry and the full sized. I have shot my buddy's ultra carry many times and I think you will find it a joy to shoot. Bit of a muzzle blast but within 20 rounds of practice you will learn to control it and get back on target fast for the second half of the double-tap. It is a very good 1911 for concealed carry. Much more comfortable than carrying a full size.

I carry in Condition 1 which is the same as carrying any other double action with a round in the chamber just you "see" the hammer being back since it is an exposed hammer. Condition 1 is very safe and the only way I will carry a 1911. I don't trust my slingshotting prowess when I need that gun out and in action ASAP against some thug.

ousoonerfan22":126hqm93 said:
CB,
How do you carry your 1911 hip or shoulder holster?
What 1911's are made in the USA? I'm not knocking the imported guns just getting tired of having buy other countries products.
I know they're good guns but I'm not a fan of glock type handguns,I like the older stuff.
But I'm going to have to buy that Ruger 380 with the laser sight for my wife,that's what she wants.

I carry strong side hip with my 45 or Colt 380.
Ruger LCP I carry pocket. Better get your wife to shoot a 380 before buying one.
I would not buy my wife a striker fired or any other kind of semiauto that if it doesn't function she has to think to slingshot the slide to rack another round in.
I would get her a Ruger 327 mag. or 38
Better do a lot of pratice with that 380 as the recoil is pretty impressive in that little package.
Collateral damage will get you sent away a long time.

USA made Kimber, Ruger, S&W, Colt and I not sure about the Dan Wesson 1911's anymore used to be made in NY .

Looked at 1911's again and there were more on the shelves than the last time. Checked out a Desert Eagle,Springfield,Colt Lightweight,Colt Rail and a Kimber Crimson Pro Carry II with a 4" barrel. I liked the Kimber with the 4" barrel and the Colt Lightweight which is a full size 1911 not a compact, I don't remember the model number for it.
I'm wondering if I can beat Bass Pro's prices at the Wanemacher show this fall?

I still like my wheel guns....most often have my Taurus Model 605 357 Mag with me
safe to carry....just aim cock and fire...it is double action but I am a single action shooter.
only semi auto I have is a Ruger P89 9mm....
I really like the Ruger 1911.
My local guns shop was really recommending the Rock Island as best value for the money...they know I am poor...

I carry a Springfield xds every day . I carry in a white hat iwb holster . Even when I wear t shirts you cant tell im carrying . It very accurate out to about 20 yards . I killed a fox the other night at 45 yards with it . Probably luck . But I want a accurate gun first . If I'm ever faced with someone trying to drag my wife or kid in a van at the mall I want to know where I aim is where I'll hit .

Latest posts