180 acres of good pasture ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a nice farm that has 180 acres of very good pasture with good grass. It is cross fenced into 6 different sections. How many head could he max out to? If I need to ad other info just let me know and I'll answer what I can.

cattlepower":37zr2hze said:
I have a friend that has a nice farm that has 180 acres of very good pasture with good grass. It is cross fenced into 6 different sections. How many head could he max out to? If I need to ad other info just let me know and I'll answer what I can.

Where? What kind of grass? Pairs or stockers?

Frankie":4m2ln4cq said:
cattlepower":4m2ln4cq said:

middle Tn. area, Fescue, Bermuda, Johnson grass and clover. I'm sure there is other random grasses in there but that is the main grasses. Right now, he has cow/calf pairs. Stockers may be a possibility if enough could be run on the land for profit.

That will be 27 to 30 tons of fertilizer, depending on how the soil analysis goes, for that 180 acres. Think about that in your cost.

If the profit on each head were -$10 (minus ten dollars), then the 180 acres would be maxed out with zero head if you were in the cattle business.

cattlepower":1mmoz2fl said:

I'm in mid TN also. I'm not going to address the economics of this. Year in and year out for a cow and calf operation, I figure 2 acres per cow/calf pair and the required bulls. So about 90 brood cows. Some do better some worse but that's about average.

I'd rather say 3 acres per pair and forget the fertilizer. Maybe half rate fertilizer applied early summer to push the summer grasses that are probably mixed in there.

backhoeboogie":28xxm9su said:
That will be 27 to 30 tons of fertilizer, depending on how the soil analysis goes, for that 180 acres. Think about that in your cost.

I forgot to add he has had about 20 cows on there for two years. Fertilizer? Ha Ha I didn't think anyone used that anymore.

whatever your stocking rate 2,3, or 4 acres per cow/calf, I'd cross section the 6 paddocks you have to make 12. The grass will perform much better, and your ability to carry the cows without fertilizer will be greatly enhanced. The more paddocks the better, but going from 30 acre paddocks to 15 would help. My paddocks are roughly 15 acres and I wish I had originally cut those in half. The bigger the paddock the more the cows can/will be selective in which plants they eat. This will ultimately result in weeds taking over unless you top (clip) the paddocks as you move the stock.

Also, you didn't mention. Does this land also have to provide hay for the cows in the winter months? This would greatly reduce the # of head your able to run. I'd agree with Angus Cowman, play safe at 50.

cattlepower":2ywtod8v said:
Frankie":2ywtod8v said:
cattlepower":2ywtod8v said:

middle Tn. area, Fescue, Bermuda, Johnson grass and clover. I'm sure there is other random grasses in there but that is the main grasses. Right now, he has cow/calf pairs. Stockers may be a possibility if enough could be run on the land for profit.

The saying in your area goes as follows.

One Cow-Calf per Acre and a half. At least this is what Tennessee ag department reccomends.

cattlepower":2mnxbr2y said:
backhoeboogie":2mnxbr2y said:

I forgot to add he has had about 20 cows on there for two years. Fertilizer? Ha Ha I didn't think anyone used that anymore.

Use it every year. 250-300 pounds per acre. Makes for good stands of grass.

Angus Cowman":mxq047ny said:
I would say probably 50 cow/calf prs yr round being conservative or 250 stockers for 6-7 months on a rotation of 80hd at 30 -45day intervals on arrival

The stocker thing sounds like a thing he wants to try, just not sure where to buy the stockers.

cowman30":n6ur16pj said:

What in the world are you growing that requires 250 to 300 pounds per acre of fertilizer? At that rate, we'd almost risk burning the plant off down here.....

cattlepower":2uue3eoh said:
Angus Cowman":2uue3eoh said:
I would say probably 50 cow/calf prs yr round being conservative or 250 stockers for 6-7 months on a rotation of 80hd at 30 -45day intervals on arrival

The stocker thing sounds like a thing he wants to try, just not sure where to buy the stockers.
best place is to find some farmers who will castrate and vaccinate and pre condition them for 30 days and try and find several with like kinds of cattle so you can market in like groups
buying direct and a good quality product is best, you can give market price and you get a better deal and they do also because they aren't having to pay comm. and yardage

cypressfarms":e8p5sf27 said:
cowman30":e8p5sf27 said:

What in the world are you growing that requires 250 to 300 pounds per acre of fertilizer? At that rate, we'd almost risk burning the plant off down here.....

Sudex, millet, fescue, dallas grass, rye grass, etc. Talk about really making the rye grass, clover, and fescue come on in the spring it takes off like a jack rabbit and by summer the cows are belly deep in grass.

cattlepower":1lk8022z said:
backhoeboogie":1lk8022z said:

cattlepower-
I understand your sarcasm regarding 'fertilizer' for pastures - however, to make a point, I think that you should wake up and smell the fertilizer! It has been proven over and over that proper management dictates that unpreparedness in both soil AND animal nutrition programs will preclude expected PROFIT!

...Even with today's bloated economy! ...Tomorrow??. . . . that may be another story - ALL-together! I am sure the Liberal's will have their 'fertilizer-covered' hands in the midst of the solution!

DOC HARRIS

ok heres what i see.your friend has 180acs of good grass.thats fenced into 6 30ac pastures.an that tells me if everything is right he can graze 45 to 60 cows for 21 to 30 days.then put them on another 30acs for 21 to 30 days.so he has a 6 month rotation.he can bale the excess grass for hay.

If he decides on stockers it sounds like a perfect place to sell your calves we talked about earlier. Check local markets and see if they have a calf sale where all the calves are weaned and have had all their shots. In Virginia they are called Virginia Quality Assured (VQA). I am pretty sure TN has a comparable program.

With the dry years we have been having I would not reccomend stocking at a maximum ratio. No more than 60 head.

Latest posts