18 month old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

agmantoo

Reaction score
Seeking comments on this mixed breed 18 month old forage fed only, never grained or hayed bull. Have at it! Thanks
Miscpics053.jpg

I did not keep him though I do still own him! I had a neighbor that wanted a bull and I wanted to see what the Murray Grey influence would have with my Angus. I too am not fond of the color. However, if he was black I would bring him back home in time. Published articles state that the Murray Grey and the Wagyu are two of the only known breeds that will marble and grade choice a high percentage of times off grass. I now have a registered MG and I do see an improvement in my calves particularly in the shoulders and bone structure does however remain fine. Fine bone is characteristic of MGs. I have not had any negative feedback from any of the buyers. However I now have a worse color variation. The sale barn identifies the calves as angus/charolais cross. There is some dockage but not as bad as some things. I will probably go back black in time.

Another 18 mouths and he will look better.I can see how MG's might work well with your mig,but why worry about the marbleing on grass if you sell your calves at the sale barn which I'm thinking you said you do?

EAT BEEF, you are correct in that at this time I do sell all my calves at the sale barn. I have a relative that has a small farm and he is wanting to supplement his income by selling all natural grass fed beef directly to the consumer. There is a market here for that as I turn people away because I do not want to take time to deal with them, their kids and pets. On the other hand the relative has more time and patience and he could take the potential buyers onto his place and let them select their animal. We have discussed his doing this and IMO he could make some money from his marketing efforts and not have to maintain anything but nice paddocks for the steers. We would only market the best of the best from the herd and I got the MG to try to develop the reputation of "his" animals to help establish demand for his product.

I don't know AG,
Looks like you could do better with that cross even though you can't depend on much heterosis from it.
Color schmulor for me as I direct market and it's not a factor.
And I like a less than heavy bone too.
But this fella looks light enough in the bone to where it affects his entire phenotype.
Very little heart girth and pinched, light on guts and light on nuts from the picture.
Maybe just too light boned to hang any meat off of.
I'm looking at your cows and thinking you've got a better bull hiding somewhere in your pastures.
Get him in there and get this one out of there.
He just doesn't look like a prosper on grass type of animal and he will pass some of that on for sure.
JMO FWIW
(and that ain't much)

No Kit Pharo animal. Kit is on my s... list at this time. I recommended a person to buy one of his bulls. There is possibly an issue with the bull he sold and Kit is not taking the high road. He needs to take the Sam Walton approach but has not and does not recognize the bull could be the problem.
The bull I posted is a west coast sourced registered Murray Grey. The light boned portion is part of the MG breed. Just think of it as more meat less bone and it becomes more acceptable.

agmantoo":1d4zknvd said:
No Kit Pharo animal. Kit is on my s... list at this time. I recommended a person to buy one of his bulls. There is possibly an issue with the bull he sold and Kit is not taking the high road. He needs to take the Sam Walton approach but has not and does not recognize the bull could be the problem.
The bull I posted is a west coast sourced registered Murray Grey. The light boned portion is part of the MG breed. Just think of it as more meat less bone and it becomes more acceptable.

Over here MGs aren't the heaviest boned breed but they sure as hell aren't light boned, in photos I suppose they can seem that way but in the flesh you realise it's their muscling (which is normally very prominent for a maternal breed) that makes the bone appear lighter than what it is. The first bull you posted is very average quality for a number of reasons but ultimately he doesn't look to be very well put together, second one is quite lovely. Both very dark MGs so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the calves are on the blacker side of brown.

Can I just get this straight, fine bone is NOT a breed characteristic of the Murray Grey. They are a moderate boned animal - neither fine nor heavy.

The second bull pictured is an infinitely better animal than the first, although I would like to see him display a little more balance to be more pleasing to the eye. To be honest I dont understand why you would keep the first bull intact if you have the second one in your pastures.

Now that there is a bull.
Light years ahead of the 18 month old.
So I'm with Keren on this one and have to wonder,
Why would you keep the 18 month old with any of your cows?
If he's only been in even a day or two he's probably already passed on some of that less desirable stuff he's made of.
Just curious.

If I had the last cow on earth and that first bull was the only choice, I would just shoot her.

40-4171":1q4nb9tn said:
If I had the last cow on earth and that first bull was the only choice, I would just shoot her.

You wouldn't happen to be from Tennessee would you?

40-4171

I posted the pic so that some learned persons may give an intelligent response in order that I could possibly learn more regarding cattle.

From you I have managed to learn that you do not know how to conduct yourself and that possibly your family is into line breeding.

Latest posts