18 Acres ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkansas":2zh61nwd said:
Would you all say this seems to be a pretty good star for having a few cattle. I mean the price has dropped down from 72,500 to 62,500 and its in my range what I am looking for and close enough to the 20 acres I want to start with and has everything on it I need fencing, pond, home, yard, sheds, working facilities and its not far from town ? Usally I been taught that when something sounds to good to be true it usally is. And most place like this go for almost 90,000 or more around here. There proud of there land around here..lol
I think what everyone is saying, Arkansas, is that it isn't really "20 acres" -- it's a big pond with some ground next to it. And they're urging you to be cautious, because that's still a big chunk of change, even if it's less $$ today than it was yesterday! :)

It looks alot better on the revised pic. At least you have a bit of usable ground to go with that pond now.
You do need to be cautious. Find out how long it's been on the market, why they had to drop the price almost 15% when it was already 20% lower than comps. The reason may not be an issue for you, but you still need to know what it is. Find out more about the flooding issue. That's definitely a concern. How old is the house. Does it need to be replumbed (mobile home specific issue). What else might it need. The house doesn't have add any real value per se, unless it's fairly new. But it could certainly add costs to make it right. This could be a really good deal falling in your lap, or it might just prove too good to be true. Due Diligence will help you figure out which one it is. There's been lots of good advice given about places you can contact for more info. I'll second all of those suggestions. Good Luck.

Alright well if I end up getting it you will all be the first to hear. But I am gonna do my work first to make sure its not a money pit :) Thanks all for the advice helps alot.

Your pond (lake) is considered wet lands. You cannot destroy wet lands in the state of ARk. Yes, your county may have a building code, and may have to have a land use permit to change the present operation. Your water is controlled by the Corp of Engineers and ADEQ. The state owns all water above and under the ground and is controlled by ADEQ. The state will state the type of septic system you will install on the next house or stystem becuse you already have one on your property. Only one that can be put on 11 acres or more with out a permit. Check with your county about flood ins. this is county by county policy.

hillrancher":3spra5ju said:
Your pond (lake) is considered wet lands. You cannot destroy wet lands in the state of ARk. Yes, your county may have a building code, and may have to have a land use permit to change the present operation. Your water is controlled by the Corp of Engineers and ADEQ. The state owns all water above and under the ground and is controlled by ADEQ. The state will state the type of septic system you will install on the next house or stystem becuse you already have one on your property. Only one that can be put on 11 acres or more with out a permit. Check with your county about flood ins. this is county by county policy.

My best friends Dad who is a WMA Officer said that you can take out wetlands if it was man made by the property owner his-self. He said if he recieved government help or was given a majority of the money/grant/loan from the state that it entitles the state to regulate wether or not you can drain it or fill it or etc.. The only wetlands that you cannot destroy is wetlands adjoining a WMA Reserve or naturally formed lake/river etc. I dont see anywhere on the arkansas ADEQ that says they own all water sources above and below ground. He said he has never heard of the state owning any ponds or anything on personal property unless it is considered a landmark or of national recognition meaning a POI.. He said he isnt saying that they cant or it isnt right what your saying, he said he's just never heard of it his-self. Besides in cases where the state pays for the majority of the work for a pond being put in for enviromental issues or to stimulate certain habitats within that area. Like Bird species or certain oder/beaver etc..?? Does that make any sense..lol Just trying to get it right..lol

hillrancher":1jut5uy8 said:

Hey Hill what part of arkansas you live in ?

Arkansas, if it is close to work and it checks out ok so that you wont get kicked off, I'd go for it. I think something like that, if you can live there and easily get to work is good value. If you are a resourcefull person, I'm sure you will be able to deal with any problem that crops up. It would be cheap living and give a good start while building up an asset to cash in at a later date to move onto something bigger and better. Best of luck.
Ken

Not to hijack the thread, but talking about codes reminded me of when I built my house on my family's farm just less than 2 years ago. We had everything set for the house, but the thing that caused the most stink was the garage. It had to be so many feet from the house to not need to meet fire codes, but could not be too far away either. Once we got that fixed, I found out that the far edge could not be less than 50' from another property owner. Luckilly, that owner is my parents, but I still had to go to a hearing on it so I could build my garage. The folks overseeing the hearing thought that I could put my garage behind my house, which meant I would have to put in an entire NEW driveway (more $$$). It also meant that I would have had to do a TON of excavating as that part of the property is basically in a hole. One of them told me that it would not hurt financially to do that, but how would they know my financial situation or how much it would cost since they didn't have quotes on the cost?
Neighbor across the street had complained a little when we first started building, but since all of the requirements and BS had been met, he really didn't have much to go on.
All I can say Arkansas, is make sure you check ALL codes and make sure of everything before you would want to build.

There sure is a big difference between the original property diagram and the one you posted later. Make sure the owner is not subdividing the property. He may be selling that nice open area to the neighbor to the north, whose driveway parallels it.

I would sure want to see the plat book for that piece and the legal description

Thanks Ken :) And I want the property regardless if that other piece goes with it. I am in talks with them to find out if it still goes to it or if it was sold earlier or what. Because Now the realtor is saying it is part of it but then today she is saying the owner said it wasnt. I asked them if the land had been surveyed or not and she cant give me a straight answer so. I am going to make sure I do all my work and if I have to pay to have it surveyed before I place a bid I will. I would really like the land it will be right down the road from work so it would work out great :) But I want let them know that..lol

Arkansas":3ewr719v said:
Thanks Ken :) And I want the property regardless if that other piece goes with it. I am in talks with them to find out if it still goes to it or if it was sold earlier or what. Because Now the realtor is saying it is part of it but then today she is saying the owner said it wasnt. I asked them if the land had been surveyed or not and she cant give me a straight answer so. I am going to make sure I do all my work and if I have to pay to have it surveyed before I place a bid I will. I would really like the land it will be right down the road from work so it would work out great :) But I want let them know that..lol
Just make sure you get a new survey of the property regardless of how many times it's been surveyed in the past.

Latest posts