17 yr.old Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
Well after waiting and waiting on the old gal. She finally calved yesterday at 3:30 pm. She a had a big (100 lbs.) heifer. Both are doing just great.
P1130173.jpg

P1130184.jpg

Oh I was going to ask if ya'll can see anything different in this calf ? Besides not being one of my paints.

The heifers ears arent very big. is she beefmaster sired? also she only has 3 legs.

mom has nice horns.

KNERSIE":3rpin0yd said:
She has a mild case of contracted tendons?
please forgive my ignorrance, but im assuming that is why her front legs are a little crooked? Do they tend to outgrow that?

Beefy":fvcqhuip said:
The heifers ears arent very big. is she beefmaster sired? also she only has 3 legs.

mom has nice horns.
Very good Beefy.Her sire is a neighbors angus bull. I was so mad. This hugh angus bull came from three pastures over. I couldn't stop him. I guess I could E-6 her. But I 'm not sure yet.
Yes,Knersie I did notice her contracted tendons yesterday.She kept getting up and falling. They are better today as she has been all over the place .
Alacattleman, this cow has a beautiful utter for her age.Her body condition is great. Never can tell she just had a calf. I bought her in 06 with a heifer at her side. Which that heifer is due within a month. She had a couple of more heifers for me that I have kept.
I have actually thought about mounting her head,but the old man says no.
Beefy it's good to see ya again :wave:

VtMapleGal":2idai9sl said:
KNERSIE":2idai9sl said:
please forgive my ignorrance, but im assuming that is why her front legs are a little crooked? Do they tend to outgrow that?
Yes they will out grow it. She was falling quite a bit yesterday. But she's running around just fine today. I notice contracted tendons more on my larger calves. I assume it's because of limited space. Is that right Knersie ?

Yes, quite often larger calves will have contracted tendons, or be "knuckled under". Beautiful calf and a heck of a cow, she has held up real well!!! She has definitely earned her keep!

hey joy your supposed to shoot them stray angus bulls :lol: but that is a good looking heifer calf.you can send that calf to the sale at weaning.she is a goodlooking old girl.is that cow reg.

bigbull338":6ir4hwou said:
hey joy your supposed to shoot them stray angus bulls :lol:

I've been tempted a few dozen times. Was told it finally happened and not to worry about getting blamed for it since the guy who put lead in it told the owner next time he'd put the bull down. Sheriff told him to do that. Law enforcement were wore out over the last one.

Joy of Texas":3fabon6o said:
VtMapleGal":3fabon6o said:
KNERSIE":3fabon6o said:
Yes they will out grow it. She was falling quite a bit yesterday. But she's running around just fine today. I notice contracted tendons more on my larger calves. I assume it's because of limited space. Is that right Knersie ?

Yes, but don't tell that to the high BW breeders ;-)

bigbull338":1k59cola said:
hey joy your supposed to shoot them stray angus bulls :lol: but that is a good looking heifer calf.you can send that calf to the sale at weaning.she is a goodlooking old girl.is that cow reg.
Believe me the old man wanted too.He chased him out of the yard and down the road. From there the bull went to the wrong place. The guy called the bull owner. The guy got smart with him. So the property owner loaded his prized angus up and sold him. I'm not sure that I want to sell this calf yet.
Yes the cow is reg.she turned 17 on Jan.01. At first I wasn't going to buy her. But for 750.00 for her and her heifer calf. I know I couldn't go wrong.
Backhoe,her teeth are still in good shape. She lives here on our 5 acres around the house. She lives off the coastal that is growing here. Salt and mineral blocks are out. No feed all summer and she just stays fat as a tick. Now that it's winter I do feed her alittle sweet feed and hay.
I keep her here so she doesn't have to fight all the rest of them. And she does let all other cows who the boss is. I also try and control who is breeding her. Like that worked real well this time. I know she is getting up there in years,so I don't want to use a heavy weight bull on her. I rather use one of the younger bulls that are not so heavy yet. That angus was a monster of a bull. I know he had to weigh 2500 or better. I also know he had alot to do with the calves weight. Mercedes last few calves weighed in the 70's.
You know Knersie I don't try for high birth weights. I know I have had a few. I also know the toll it takes on my cows when they have a large calf. It throws their whole system off. I have read a few saying they only keep cows for 6-8 yrs. If these cows are having high weight calves time and time again. I wouldn't think their bodies could hold up for to many years. Now that's just my thinking.
My youngest son named this heifer......Mary Agnes. He said that way I won't forget she is half angus.

Latest posts