17 month heifer now trying to nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've got a 17 month 700# Brangus heifer that just won't leave this new Simmental cow I just bought alone. I got the Simm. about a month and a half ago and no one messed with her. She is supposed to calve this month and all of the sudden this heifer is constantly trying to nurse off of her. Is this ok or should I do something about it. I've had the Brangus heifer since she was a year old and she was totally weaned when I got her.

[email protected]

this is not good because your new calf will not have enough colostrum if this calf keeps nursing her. need to separate them or put one of those kant-suck type things on the heifers nose to keep her from nursing the cow.

and i know, that is most aggravating too.

also, you want to watch and make sure this heifer doesnt try to nurse other heifers. this can cause them to get mastitis. i lost a very good heifer about 3 months ago because of this.

good luck

gene

I've got a 17 month 700# Brangus
> heifer that just won't leave this
> new Simmental cow I just bought
> alone. I got the Simm. about a
> month and a half ago and no one
> messed with her. She is supposed
> to calve this month and all of the
> sudden this heifer is constantly
> trying to nurse off of her. Is
> this ok or should I do something
> about it. I've had the Brangus
> heifer since she was a year old
> and she was totally weaned when I
> got her.

[email protected]

> I've got a 17 month 700# Brangus
> and she was totally weaned when I
> got her.

Based on my limited experience with this sort of activity I'd suggest that you get rid of the heifer. If she's doing it now, after all the time that she spent alone after being "weaned" from her own mother, she'll continue to try to do it with other heifers and/or any cows that will allow it. Some cows are stupid enough to allow such behavior even with their own new-borns trying to suck ---- and it's easy to see who will get most of the milk. Believe it or not I once bought a fine looking coming two year old bull that I later found to be a sucker. Some of my cows kicked the hell out of him but others allowed him to go for the gusto. I'm convinced that I could never have broken him of the habit so I sent him off to the weekday sale barn.

Mastitis is inflamation/infection of the mammary glands. May be in one or more quarter of the udder. Requires very active treatment. If you don't know what it is or how to detect it you should have a vet prescribe treatment.

dunmovin farms

> Thanks for the input. What is
> mastitis?

> thanks,

> danny

You should sell the heifer, specially if she had already been cross.
> I've got a 17 month 700# Brangus