15 acres makes 96 5x5 rolls

Help Support CattleToday:

thats a heck of a good cutting of hay.you love baling a field that makes alot of hay.an rye grass makes some good hay.

grannysoo":3g56b18x said:
And 5x5 rolls too... that's a LOT of grass.

6 and 1/2 5X5 rolls of rye grass to the acre you would be lucky to get that off a great coastal field.
I am having a hard time taking the bait on this one.

I rolled 88 5X5 on 27 acres and thought that was a good cutting. It was thick and tall. It was starting to blow over and the seed was still soft. And i thought I done good but you may have set a record.

Hayes' Farms":2w05xhc9 said:
Last week we cut 15 acres of rye grass off of our tobacco patches, and made 96 rolls.

Congrats! Just goes to show what proper fertilizer and the right weather conditions can do.

I lucked out 4 years ago and got two cuttings of ryegrass off of a 60 acre field 30 days apart and the total was 8 -6 X 5 1/2 rolls per acre.

Put it under a shed and the cows will appreciate this winter.

Caustic Burno":16s0dh9m said:
grannysoo":16s0dh9m said:
And 5x5 rolls too... that's a LOT of grass.

6 and 1/2 5X5 rolls of rye grass to the acre you would be lucky to get that off a great coastal field.
I am having a hard time taking the bait on this one.

It can be done with good fertilization, moisture and weather. 2003 I made 192 4x5 rolls off 15 acres ryegrass. Granted they were baled with a JD 410 baler but they still weigh around 550# or about 3 1/2 tons/acre.

If that were up here it would be worth about 125 a ton.

You got what? about 3 1/2 ton per acre. Totally believable, fertilizer, rain, a little sunshine. Lots of ground will produce 3 1/2 and more tons per acre.

It's very posssible. We planted annual ryegrass on 12 acres in 2005 and are still cutting and baling off that one planting, although we did reseed three acres of it again this spring. We have sprayed it, disked it under several times, grazed it off in the winter, and it still keeps coming back. Its being cut as I write this. Last year it got grazed off in Feb. and baled in may and made 53 4X6 bales. Not too bad considering it was the third year in production for an annual.

Latest posts