148 years ago today

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder what this Country would be like , if the South had won or if Texas had remained a Republic. :2cents:

I doubt we'd be having trouble with north korea nor would we be entertaining ideas of gay marriage, Vietnam would have never happened, I doubt Iran would hate us, Cuba would probably be the destination of choice for honey-mooners, we wouldn't be paying income tax, your vote might count for something, don't think there would be any Obama phones since Obama wouldn't be president, we'd be living in constant fear that Aruba might invade us ..... Gosh. It'd be horrible wouldn't it?

cowboy43":1cqi8w0a said:
I wonder what this Country would be like , if the South had won or if Texas had remained a Republic. :2cents:

The US would have never became much IMO. Two things had to happen to make the US the La. Purchase and the Republic join the resources from those two were almost endless and vital to the growing country.
The Republic was so large it would have stopped the manifest destiny of ocean to ocean.
Funny today many all over the country are clamoring about many issues that caused the shot to be fired.

Caustic Burno":1ad0zf3l said:
cowboy43":1ad0zf3l said:

The US would have never became much IMO. Two things had to happen to make the US the La. Purchase and the Republic join the resources from those two were almost endless and vital to the growing country.
The Republic was so large it would have stopped the manifest destiny of ocean to ocean.
Funny today many all over the country are clamoring about many issues that caused the shot to be fired.
you'd have to go back and ask those who didnt own a slave, or have a dog in the fight. other than freedom in their new country.. like the irish who came here to get away from the oppression from england ..they where already tough,with not alot to lose .but ready to stop it from happening again..

Caustic Burno":3ro5vdcv said:
cowboy43":3ro5vdcv said:

Very good!! Caustic your historical knowledge is impressive.

Larry

cowboy43":6j2g8zdo said:

Texas and the rest of the southwest would probably have gone back to become part of Mexico. The south would still be picking cotton by hand and the United States would be deluged with confederates looking for work.

TexasBred":v0x65ptj said:
cowboy43":v0x65ptj said:

Texas and the rest of the southwest would probably have gone back to become part of Mexico. The south would still be picking cotton by hand and the United States would be deluged with confederates looking for work.
so not much has changed, that sounds just like the last few years...
:cowboy:

melking":3sfg8tmv said:
Who said the south lost? :x

Well General Lee certainly did.

General Order Number 9 served as Lee's farewell address to his army. The order was distributed the day after the official surrender of the Confederate Army at the Appomattox Court House.

Hd Qurs Army Northern Virginia 10th April 1865

General Order No 9

After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard fought battles who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them, But feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that would have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement, Officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you His blessing and protection.

With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration of myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell.

R E Lee Genl

Source: Lee, Robert E., Jr, Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee. New York: Doubleday, Page & Company, 1905.

TexasBred":3g9ijp9b said:
melking":3g9ijp9b said:
Who said the south lost? :x

Well General Lee certainly did.

General Order Number 9 served as Lee's farewell address to his army. The order was distributed the day after the official surrender of the Confederate Army at the Appomattox Court House.

Hd Qurs Army Northern Virginia 10th April 1865

General Order No 9

After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard fought battles who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them, But feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that would have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement, Officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you His blessing and protection.

With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration of myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell.

R E Lee Genl

Source: Lee, Robert E., Jr, Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee. New York: Doubleday, Page & Company, 1905.

TB what you will never understand we might have lost that war.
There are many that will never or will ever surrender to the oppession of the federal government.
You will never understand that which is quite evident your heritage is not of Southern men that stood the line to defend Dixie. Six thousand men left East Texas with eight hundred returning you will never change the feelings as they run deep here.
http://www.maxilyrics.com/tennessee-ern ... -bde5.html

I can't see where General Lee said we lost the war. Most folks that are conservatives and believe in God are the one's that wish the south had of won. And all you have to do is look around, and see is this country is a mess.

Latest posts