$140 per acre

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Potash is $900/ton locally - Fertilizer mix that is mostly potash for the alfalfa fields. Yikes! I am skipping the fields that are on their last year, and put the money into the newer better producing fields.

What do you think?

BTW - I've been a good steward when it comes to fertilizing. Except last year, we skipped it. I will not skip two years in a row. But for 30 acres - $4200 - I could buy a whole lot of hay that is in the paper....

But then what happens to my fields in the long run? None of these fields are totally fenced.... a couple have one side fenced. Too much time and too much money to put them into pasture....and they are alfalfa.

I don't feel like I have much of an option - - except to sell the cows and watch the fields grow up in box elders.

Michele

Potash is $1150 here. We never skip years when applying fertilizer, except this year. The potash is going to stay at the fertilizer plant at that price. If you didn't apply it last year I a may be a bit worried about going two years in a row. If I were in your shoes I would take care of the better stands and let the poorer stands go without.

I seeded a lot of alfalfa last spring and put on $650/ton K last fall. It hurt. :mad: I will be swath grazing alfalfa this summer.

The Canadian mines have laid off workers to reduce supply and keep potash price going up. Potash is $750 locally now but the fertilizer plant said they can not replace it for that. Forecast is average price will be over $900 the next few years.

Ignore the greedy SOBs, spend on some poly wire, and then plant chicory after the alfalfa runs out. It needs N rather than K and lime.

Potash is about $800 ton here . Seems like your danged if you do, danged if you don't . Last year I used 50lbs potash and 50lbs Dap and then mixed in 100lbs pelleted lime just so it would spread nice . Still cost a fortune, hopefully that will do a decent job, it's about all I can pay for......maybe .

Larry

Stocker Steve":1anbd4az said:
I seeded a lot of alfalfa last spring and put on $650/ton K last fall. It hurt. :mad: I will be swath grazing alfalfa this summer.

The Canadian mines have laid off workers to reduce supply and keep potash price going up. Potash is $750 locally now but the fertilizer plant said they can not replace it for that. Forecast is average price will be over $900 the next few years.

Ignore the greedy SOBs, spend on some poly wire, and then plant chicory after the alfalfa runs out. It needs N rather than K and lime.

What is chicory?

Latest posts