13mo bull comparisons

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
hi. here are afew pics of a young bull i have. he is 13mo and i would like you to post some bulls of the same age as comparison.
Picture109.jpg

Picture107.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Looks a little stiff legged out back and pinched up front.
I'm far from an expert though.

14mo bull very nice. seen him on her before. knersie have you any calves from the traditional semen you imported from uk/wales. you said i should try it to add some width.

sporder":3jdxdk4e said:
14mo bull very nice. seen him on her before. knersie have you any calves from the traditional semen you imported from uk/wales. you said i should try it to add some width.

No still working on getting the semen imported.

Of the bulls available you should really look hard at Freetown Kendal, Freetown Klondyke and Westwood Postman. The closest I'll have this year is a calf sired by a direct son of Badlingham Bossy.

the problem i have is because i am reasonably new to this i have always used ebvs to back up appearence. the older traditional bulls have low or no ebvs. weather its right or wrong i aim for all future calves to have self replacing ebv of at least +30. using the older bulls would send the self replacing ebv down.

35Y_6-19-12.jpg

15 month old bull. Illusion N111 x AliMark T214. He isn't standing well but only pic I have of him

14y.jpg

15 month old bull GridMaker 104 x Illusion N111. A lot wider than he appears here

62y_6-19-12.jpg

15 month old bull. 914 x Magnolia. This bull is a full sib to the Maggie cow.

I know these aren't herefords but thought it was worth looking at them...

I prefer the first bull, deen - just by his head alone. You still focusing on Debrucker genetics? Any Reality calves?

15 month old 3/4 Gelbvieh Balancer
DSCF0259.JPG

13 month old Purebred Gelbvieh Bull
KCFY122-lot812.jpg

13 month old Purebred Gelbvieh bull
image001.jpg

Massey135":tsv92uk9 said:
I prefer the first bull, deen - just by his head alone. You still focusing on Debrucker genetics? Any Reality calves?

Yes sir!!! Still using DeBruycker genetics. I have some pretty happy customers, so it's hard to try different stuff too much. I do have some Reality calves. They are all less than a year old. The first bull is a paternal 1/2 sib to reality. I've been using President because his females are so good...

3waycross":2ag41owd said:
DSCF0259.JPG

Vic, I usually don't get in on these things but I REALLY like this one. Is the 1/4 in him Angus or Red Angus? How much percentage is needed for a Gelbvieh to be purebred?

VanC":2x58t2ec said:
3waycross":2x58t2ec said:
DSCF0259.JPG

Vic, I usually don't get in on these things but I REALLY like this one. Is the 1/4 in him Angus or Red Angus? How much percentage is needed for a Gelbvieh to be purebred?

He is actually 1/4 Blk Angus. His sire is a Maternal 1/2 brother to Ozz Govenor. He is the bull I bought from J Oswald in Kansas and had to sell because his PAP score wasn't good enuf for our altitude. he is happily residing in Neb now. There is a fair chance he might get collected sometime next year depending on how this calf crop looks!

I thought that was the one you sold, 3way. Post the profile pic of him you used on cattlerange. I really like the looks of him as well.

Van, they have to be at least 88%. Most are stabalized at 94%.

sporder":1uzxp9mu said:
the problem i have is because i am reasonably new to this i have always used ebvs to back up appearence. the older traditional bulls have low or no ebvs. weather its right or wrong i aim for all future calves to have self replacing ebv of at least +30. using the older bulls would send the self replacing ebv down.

the problem with EBVs is that they are used as a prop to imply improved genetic value and overide the functional, traditional values of older, proven bulls. Take a random sample of bulls with the same EBV number (say the +30 you quote for SRI) and then compare them on both phenotype and other traits, you won't find consistency there.