13mo bull...402lb gain?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

we just worked the heard/ we goofed and waited 8 mo's between workings. The bull calve in question gained 402 lb in 8 mo's (he's now 21 mo's.) Feeding 1-2% body weight w/14-16% protien (corn & beef supplement). Since I'm a green horn...is this an unusually high weight gain? Also am I feeding too much/ what is an aggressive amount of feed? (using no fillers such as cotton seed hulls or hay in the corn- just quality ground corn and supplement) For what it's worth the heard is registered black angus.

Divide the number of days by the weight gain...ADG (average daily gain). My calculations come up with about 1.7 ADG.

I may be wrong, but that doesn't sound too impressive to me. I mostly deal with calves though and I'm sure the rate of gain slows down with age.

You need to feed this guy some roughage. Cattle need at least .05% BW of roughage to keep their rumen functioning properly. "Fillers" are there for a reason.

[email protected]

> Divide the number of days by the
> weight gain...ADG (average daily
> gain). My calculations come up
> with about 1.7 ADG.

> I may be wrong, but that doesn't
> sound too impressive to me. I
> mostly deal with calves though and
> I'm sure the rate of gain slows
> down with age.

> You need to feed this guy some
> roughage. Cattle need at least
> .05% BW of roughage to keep their
> rumen functioning properly.
> "Fillers" are there for
> a reason. Thanks for the response jena/ aren't they getting all the roughage they need through the hay ring?

I'm sorry. I must have misunderstood your first post. I thought you were just feeding him corn and supplement. If you have hay out for them, then they should be fine!

[email protected]

> I'm sorry. I must have
> misunderstood your first post. I
> thought you were just feeding him
> corn and supplement. If you have
> hay out for them, then they should
> be fine! Thanks again jena, no you didn't misunderstand/ i didn't specify/ state we are feeding hay via round bales and rings. thanks for pointing that out!

Latest posts