1350lbs by 13 months?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmfowls

Reaction score
So I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a problem I'm having. Firstly, do you know if at 7 months, a Limousin steer can get to 650lbs. If this is possible, by 13 months could that same animal get to 1350lbs? From feeding it feedlot quality grain from 7 months to finish?

Firstly, yes with a good mama and decent grass. You might have to add some creep if you don't have one of those.

Second, yes but that would be tough. A calf with a good growth EPD could do it. That is gaining about 4 lbs a day which is not unheard of.

If you can get them to 650 by 7 months, they would need to gain 3.88 ADG to get to 1350 by 13 months.
Possible in a feedlot, gonna depend on the genetics, weather, and feedstuffs.

Keep your feed mix at about 15% pro, with high corn, and free choice hay. Full feed all the way.

The bulls I buy are generally over 800 lbs at 7 months coming off just grass and momma, and after weaning are fed 6-8 lbs of oats / barley and free choice hay to 13 -14 months when I take delivery and they usually weigh just over 1300 lbs. So I see no reason why a good steer couldn't do it, especially if pushed a little.
Come to think of it, my replacement heifers are north of 1000 lbs and only had 4-5 lb of grain for 4 months. So definitely achievable with the right management and genetics.

The last 2 limflex steers hung hot on the rail at 1085# and 1028# at 17 months old. One was an absolute calf, the other SAV Priority. Both had creep, or an area to get free choice alfalfa.

Schaff seems to be able to do it with most of their calves. Feed works many wonders

Latest posts