126 lb. new born

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
oh my gosh,my poor heifer will never be the same. This was her first calf and I had to pull it.
My heifer is still down,but she's trying to get up. The 126 lbs bull calf is also trying to get up. I have him in the bathroom. I gave him a warm bath and cleaned him up. I also fed him some colostrum. He seems to be in fairly good shape. Is there anything else I should give him ?
What should I give the heifer ? I have her food and water close to her. She did drank some water. I got her turned once.

I would start to think about giving that heifer on a cocktail of some kind maybe an IV into the milk vein with dextrose and give her a shot of predef.Once she gets some energy she might start to feel better.Hopefully she doesn't have a pinched nerve.Also I wouldn't try to force her up just yet because if you do and she ends up doing the "splits" they are pretty much done.Call your vet and ask what they say to give.And if you have never done an IV get someone out to do it.Make her comfortable and once she rests things might change.It depends also if you did any damage when pulling that calf.How long has she been down that is the most important question.

Joy in Texas":3aqq8uup said:
oh my gosh,my poor heifer will never be the same. This was her first calf and I had to pull it.
My heifer is still down,but she's trying to get up. The 126 lbs bull calf is also trying to get up. I have him in the bathroom. I gave him a warm bath and cleaned him up. I also fed him some colostrum. He seems to be in fairly good shape. Is there anything else I should give him ?
What should I give the heifer ? I have her food and water close to her. She did drank some water. I got her turned once.

A shot of banimine wouldn't hurt anything. Watch the slaughter withdrawal. Give the banimine time to work...get her up and get that calf nursing or she will dry up and you will have a bottle calf.

Ohhh, man, I do wish you luck...and hopefully, the issue has resolved itself by now...but if not, please call the vet.

Cow might get up...cow might not. If you've got a vet that you can rely on, then make that call.

Alice

Good luck Joy. You will want to the calf and momma back together as soon as you can. It is good for them both for the calf to nurse.
BTW Cut the calf.

alabama":1mk9nsc8 said:
Good luck Joy. You will want to the calf and momma back together as soon as you can. It is good for them both for the calf to nurse.
BTW Cut the calf.

Good advice Alabama even if she has to bottle feed the calf until the heifer can get up and stand for long periods at a time it might give her insentive to keep on fighting if her calf is with her.Sometimes cows give up if there is no interaction with others.I would concentrate on getting that heifer healthy and not worry about breeding issues ,right now that point is a little mute.You can't ship animals if they are dead.

Well the heifer finally got up before dark. She's moving alittle slow,but hopefully She will be ok. I got the calf outside with her. He's doing really good. I'll try and post a picture of him later.
Thanks for the help
Hey beefy, the heifer was simi/beefmaster bred to a beefmaster. I couldn't believe she had one that big. All of his calves were weighing 55-67 lbs. I guess this was a fluke or something.

Joy in Texas":164wiexu said:
All of his calves were weighing 55-67 lbs.

And therein lies the problem with these low birthweight cattle. The next thing you know, you've got a whack of heifers and cows that can't give birth to larger calves. If we're not careful, the entire industry is going to have a bunch of cattle that can't birth jackrabbits without OB chains.

While 127 lbs is certainly a big calf for a heifer (depending on the size of the heifer of course), my 8 and 9 weight heifers this year have all popped out 100 lb (smallest 88 lbs, largest 118) average calves unassisted. They've gotten up immediately, and had their calves up and sucking immediately. They all started cycling again and the bulls ready to go back in, so the heavier weights haven't hurt them in the least.

So let me ask an honest question, and not trying to start a scrap here: Why not, when selecting your replacement animals for your herd, select heifers whose pelvic dimensions and phenotype will allow them to carry and birth a larger calf? You get earlier maturity, extra free weight, a more resilient calf, and you're not bucking mother nature (cattle in their natural state did not give birth to 50 lb calves).

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":298l4c6z said:
Joy in Texas":298l4c6z said:

And therein lies the problem with these low birthweight cattle. The next thing you know, you've got a whack of heifers and cows that can't give birth to larger calves. If we're not careful, the entire industry is going to have a bunch of cattle that can't birth jackrabbits without OB chains.

While 127 lbs is certainly a big calf for a heifer (depending on the size of the heifer of course), my 8 and 9 weight heifers this year have all popped out 100 lb (smallest 88 lbs, largest 118) average calves unassisted. They've gotten up immediately, and had their calves up and sucking immediately. They all started cycling again and the bulls ready to go back in, so the heavier weights haven't hurt them in the least.

So let me ask an honest question, and not trying to start a scrap here: Why not, when selecting your replacement animals for your herd, select heifers whose pelvic dimensions and phenotype will allow them to carry and birth a larger calf? You get earlier maturity, extra free weight, a more resilient calf, and you're not bucking mother nature (cattle in their natural state did not give birth to 50 lb calves).

Rod

Just as "heavier weights haven't hurt them in the least" low BW doesn;t either. An eaqsy calving bull doesn;t automatically make him the sire of hard calving heifers/cows. It's in the selection of bulls that you keep daughters out of that gives you the easy calving or hard calving heifers.

dun

DiamondSCattleCo":nbkc5p2z said:
Joy in Texas":nbkc5p2z said:

Rod

What kind of cows do you have? I find this fascinating. How do you know pelvic dimensions? Could you post pics of your cows? Whats a good pelvic dimension? Maybe you have a site you can direct me too?

Walt

Txwalt":di1o6wvq said:
How do you know pelvic dimensions? Could you post pics of your cows? Whats a good pelvic dimension? Maybe you have a site you can direct me too?

Walt

You can measure it using a pelvic measuring device.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

For me the acceptable range is 168-182. That's a guideline that our vet recommended and it's worked fine so far.
We don;t measure the pelvis on our retained heifers. We know the sires abiality to sire daughters that calve easily and we know the track record of the dam.

dun

That's a pile of crap Rod-what your saying in essence is we should keep breeding big birthweight cattle that we have to pull the odd calf from because if we don't we'll lose our calving ease-isn't that an oxymoron. it's just a crutch breeds and breeders use when they can't or won't deal with the problem. We've just started calving only 40 so far but I haven't seen one born yet-we've used cattle that will calve here for generations. I just shipped out the first sort out of my poorer yearlings that we finished-1416 after a 5% shrink and 100 percent AAA's. The lady had the misfortune to have a huge calf-I'm sure she doesn't need to breed a bunch of big BW in hopes that she might raise a heifer that can have a monster. Ranch a little longer sunshine and keep pumping the BW into your cowherd and you'll soon learn what the business end of a puller is all about. How the heck would you know the birth weight of cattle born in their natural state. I've bred,fed and calved enough critters here to know those big BW cattle aren't worth the diesel it takes to ship them. You keep on saving the industry one big calf at a time I'll just on Ranching for Profit with my little 'JACKRABBITS' lol.

dun":3l3qhjmv said:
Just as "heavier weights haven't hurt them in the least" low BW doesn;t either. An eaqsy calving bull doesn;t automatically make him the sire of hard calving heifers/cows.

You're right Dun, and I didn't mean to imply that low BW animals mean small pelvics. What I'm afraid of is that we're going to see Vets recommending smaller pelvic sizes because of the lower BW animals. Perhaps it won't happen with our generation, but how long will it be until some smart guy with a suit and tie asks "why the large pelvics for such small calves?" then rewrites a textbook?

Walt,

As Dun mentioned, there are recommended pelvic sizes and tools for measuring it. I've never personally done it, and wouldn't have slightest idea what my cows would measure out at. I had the good fortune of having a grandmother and uncle who were, in my opinion, two of the best cattlemen walking, teach me as much as I could learn about phenotype and cattle selection. And I've worked some doggoned good cattlemen as a younger lad.

I select my bulls for true calving ease, and completely disagree that birthweight has as much to do with it as most people feel, but rather pay more attention to head shape and front shoulders versus birthweight. I also cull heavily around here, and any cow/heifer that shows me signs that she isn't able to hack my heavier birthweights, leaves on a rail. The heifer that started this thread for example would be gone in a heartbeat. Not so much because a 125 lb calf had to be pulled from her, but rather because it took her so long to get back up. I've had to pull heavy calves from heifers before, but they've not went down, and were ready to mother as soon as the calf was out.

NR,

Whats a pile of crap is that you "have to" pull the odd calf from high birthweight cattle. My weights this year were too high, I know. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I prefer to see 90 lb average on heifers and 100 lb average on cows. But I was using the weights to illustrate that high birthweights do not necessarily mean calving problems. My calving book has 63 calves in it from that bull, all 1Us. Matter of fact, in 12 years, I've had 2 c-sections, none of which were due to high birthweights but rather no waterbag. And I've pulled as many small, blunt nosed, coarse shouldered calves as I've pulled large calves. Perhaps you've been at it alot of years, but I'd say my 30 years isn't anything to sneeze at either and if you're going to try and tell me that 50 lb calves weigh the same at weaning time as 100 lb calves do, I'm going to call BS, because I know its not true. Ditto the backgrounded stuff. Perhaps those 50 lbers can catch up through the finishing phase, but I doubt it, since they won't catch up through the backgrounding phase and its well documented that low birthweight calves are later maturing.

And as far as how I know whats natural and whats not, my family has been raising Shorthorn cattle since the mid 1800s. These little bitty 50 and 60 lb calves are NOT normal for the breed. Grandma and Grandpa ran 90 lb average calves for over 50 years. In that 50 years, they had the vet out a total of 3 times.

Cowgirl,

You miss my point. I don't have 100 lb dead ones. My cows are perfectly capable of delivering live 100 lb calves, all on their own with no assistance from me. Its all in the selection of easy calving bulls and as Dun said, proper selection of the breeding stock. I don't own a calf puller. I own OB chains, but I think right now they're being used to hold a corral panel in place. Before that, they were rusting on the barn wall.

Rod

Rod why is it all the big birthweight advocates think a calf has to be 50 pounds to be born easy-you'll stay in the cayttle business alot of years with calves weighing 70-90 pounds-then if you do have the odd bigger one it doesn't bite you in the a... I've just seen that birthweight train wreck happen too many times-big birthweight can creep into a cowherd till you have a real jackpot at calving time. A local Shorthorn breeder taught himself how to do caesarians which tells you something right there. While calf shape does help it's not a bandaid that people make it out to be-go around the country enough-you'll see ALOT more 100 plus pound calves rotting on the dead pile than otherwise. Like I said you can calve whatever size calf you want but don't kid yourself that your saving the beef industry by doing it. We took pelvic measurements for a few years and other than catching one mishapen one it told us absolutely nothing-ours were all pretty big to start with and the biggest heifers sometimes needed help while smaller pelvic heifers didn't. Remington and Winchester have made some pretty trouble free herds in our country-if you remove problems at the source-those genetics aren't around to be passed on. We used to run quite a few Shorthorn cattle but I don't think opening up their herdbook did the breed any favours.

Northern Rancher":j21w172c said:
1) Rod why is it all the big birthweight advocates think a calf has to be 50 pounds to be born easy-

2) you'll stay in the cayttle business alot of years with calves weighing 70-90 pounds-then if you do have the odd bigger one it doesn't bite you in the a...

3) A local Shorthorn breeder taught himself how to do caesarians which tells you something right there.

4) While calf shape does help it's not a bandaid that people make it out to be

1) Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something you're trying to say here, but I don't think that a calf needs to be born at 50 lbs to be born easy. Quite the opposite in fact. I think the 50 and 60 lb birthweights are a bandaid to cover up that people aren't selecting their cows properly anymore. I see guys with pencil gutted cows wondering why they have large numbers of malpresentations and blaming the bulls for the problems. Maybe they should think about deepening those cows up, giving them some room for the calf to move around. Then they wouldn't need a 50 lb jackrabbit to avoid calving problems. In 30 years, I can count on both hands the number of malpresentations I've had to correct on what I consider "proper" cows. I've seen pictures of some of your cows. I personally wouldn't be at all scared to run a 90 or 100 lb BW bull with smooth shoulders on those cows. They got guts and they got butts. They should move calves with ease.

2) I disagree. I calve in February and a hundred lb calf will survive alot longer in cold weather than a 70 lb calf will. He'll also be much better developed when the wet weather hits in April. I see my neighbor stumbling around with NuFlor and Liquimycin in hand come April treating for pneumonia and scours on his light calves, while my "monsters" are content and happy. Same feed, same mineral program, same size of cows, even the same type of cows. And if you like calving on grass in my country in May, the larger calves are better able to resist late May rains as well.

3) & 4) I'd say that has more to do with his cow and bull phenotype than it ever has to do with simple birthweight. I've seen some real wrecks at 70 lbs. I've been on the receiving end of them, unfortunately. Back in 98, I bought a coarse shouldered, blunt headed Simm bull and put him on my cows. Average birth weight was 76 lbs, +- 10 lbs, and I pulled 12%. Many of those cows had given birth to 90 and 100 lb calves both before and after that year. So its my experience that cow phenotype, bull phenotype, and calf shape are far and away more important than birthweight ever is.

Rod

Latest posts