122L heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam":2anv3dtz said:
Or is the white in that breed a masked black? If so, would you select the whiter whites to strengthen the red?

Select for quality in ALL traits and breed for the complete package, leave the whims for the hobbyists.

I'm a firm believer in the whole package, I wouldn't discount a really good animal because it had a lighter shade of red. I was mostly just curious how to achieve the dark red.

RD-Sam":1dal7k8j said:
That's pretty red. So how would you achieve a dark red? I know in breeding dogs, breeding red to red would typically dilute the red even further, adding black back to the pedigree would darken up progeny down the line. Did somebody cheat and add a black baldy in there along the way?

Genetic selection. If she ain't dark red, she gets culled. I will research more and see what I can find out about color dilution. I do think there are shades of white but it may be my imagination when contrasting a dark red against bright clean white.

Some whites are more of a cream color, and some have a yellow tinge.

RD-Sam":1m3tsh7b said:

Wash them with dishwashing liquid and you'll be surprised how white the creams will become.

RD-Sam":3ksc509q said:

That is what I am thinking. It could be dirt or a lighter color red meshing together with a dirty white to make me think it is not as white. You have some good questions. I will try to find out more. I can tell you one thing for sure, in my opinion, the best Herefords I have seen are dark red contrasting with a bright white with 100% pigment, a nice symmetric feather neck on each side, with very little white on the legs higher up on the legs, with a flat chest, big strong bones, very wide body, straight back, and a dumbling rump with huge gonads.

HerefordSire":1hkm6jkx said:
RD-Sam":1hkm6jkx said:
That's pretty red. So how would you achieve a dark red? I know in breeding dogs, breeding red to red would typically dilute the red even further, adding black back to the pedigree would darken up progeny down the line. Did somebody cheat and add a black baldy in there along the way?

Genetic selection. If she ain't dark red, she gets culled. I will research more and see what I can find out about color dilution. I do think there are shades of white but it may be my imagination when contrasting a dark red against bright clean white.

Here is a little something, let me know if you find out anything. http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/beef/pd ... CATTLE.pdf

I also found a reference about eye cancer in the breed, seems a red patch around the eye either reduces or eliminates the chance of eye cancer, vs. the solid white around the eye. I can see where pigment in the breed would be a great concern.

Here is a little something, let me know if you find out anything. http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/beef/pd ... CATTLE.pdf

I also found a reference about eye cancer in the breed, seems a red patch around the eye either reduces or eliminates the chance of eye cancer, vs. the solid white around the eye. I can see where pigment in the breed would be a great concern.

10-4. I think I have also read literature saying the opposite about the eye cancer in Hereford cattle related to pigment. I think I may need to study up on rat hair color since there is not enough money involved to thoroughly study Hereford Kit genes.

RD-Sam":qdcq3nuy said:

I agree with you. We had 2 heifers (in my pictures on here somewhere). One had beautiful white hair, the other a creamy color.

Latest posts