12 Volt Seeder

Help Support CattleToday:

BAMABORN

Reaction score
I had a old deer feeder with a 12 volt motor on it. The timer quit working so I mounted it on a
container that will hold about 35# of seed and put a switch running to battery on 4 wheeler. Then
mounted to the four wheeler rack. Just like the the spreaders you see in magazines. My question is
what size hole do I need in container to spread about 50# of rye grass per acre.

what is the time it will take you to cover an acre?
what is the broadcast width of the spreader?
set up a tarp or something to catch the seed and see how much seed is put out per minute currently and then adjust from there.

I was hoping someone might have a store bought one and they could see what their settings where on it. I need a starting point. What do you think about 1/2 inch?

pdfangus":1xta3g6f said:
what is the time it will take you to cover an acre?
what is the broadcast width of the spreader?
set up a tarp or something to catch the seed and see how much seed is put out per minute currently and then adjust from there.
Yep--it's a lot like calculating coverage for a sprayer--you have to take a few variables into account.

Bamaborn, all I can add to this, is that on my cone seeder, I use near the minimum opening--the smallest opening--and still get some areas with excess coverage.

Thanks for your help. I got several washers with holes from 5/16 to 3/4 that will fit down in the funnel.I'm going to start with smallest that will let seed flow and go up if needed. It wont be adjusted as easy as a gate, but I will be able to change flow.

Sounds like that Moultrie Feeders ATV-mountable broadcast seeder I bought, years ago - a total POS, it's just their wildlife feeder with ATV mounting brackets. Almost impossible to get set to distribute a reasonable amount of seed - especially small stuff, like clover or turnips - and then getting the slots to STAY at the point where you set 'em -not opening wider or shutting completely - was an exercise in futility and aggravation. When I called 'em, they sent some sort of photocopied 'template' that was totally useless.
Guess they figure goobers planting wildlife food plots don't care how much the seed costs, or if they put out way more/acre than they need.

Best one on the market, so far as I know, is...a Herd seeder.
Good luck with your efforts, but be ready to be frustrated.

Lucky_P":2gls5cjt said:
Sounds like that Moultrie Feeders ATV-mountable broadcast seeder I bought, years ago - a total POS, it's just their wildlife feeder with ATV mounting brackets. Almost impossible to get set to distribute a reasonable amount of seed - especially small stuff, like clover or turnips - and then getting the slots to STAY at the point where you set 'em -not opening wider or shutting completely - was an exercise in futility and aggravation. When I called 'em, they sent some sort of photocopied 'template' that was totally useless.
Guess they figure goobers planting wildlife food plots don't care how much the seed costs, or if they put out way more/acre than they need.

Best one on the market, so far as I know, is...a Herd seeder.
Good luck with your efforts, but be ready to be frustrated.
I've got on of the Moultrie electric deals with the electric opening/closing. Once I found a shorted wire in the wiring harness it's worked perfect for several years. I messed around and finally found what settings worked best for what and made a list that I kept with the seeder until I made the mistake of loaning it out. Now I'll have to fiddle with it again to get the right settings.

Well, I finally tried my homemade spreader this afternoon. I have some winter mix seed that I bought at Tractor supply this summer. It was on clearance for half price and I got manager to sell it to me for half that if I bought it all. So it was not like I was throwing expensive seed away trying to get it working. With some trial and error. I finally got 1 50# bag per acre (bag said 1 bag per acre). I ended up with a washer that had a 3/4 hole in middle in the cone for my flow and with my 4 wheeler in second gear.
I had worried about flow stopping up, but it did fine. The vibration of 4 wheeler may have helped. I was disappointed with spread width though. It was not spreading but about 7 foot wide. So I was back and forth alot.
It is calling for rain tonight or tomorrow. Guess we will see if I have a even spread or thick strips.
Thanks for eveyones help.