12' to 14' Grain Drills ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The current farm economy is bringing a lot of used grain drills onto the market. There are a lot of older ones in varying condition being sold. Average price is around U$S 1,000 for a 12' or 14' wide unit. There are a few newer end wheel style JD drills sold. They go for a lot more - - perhaps $5,000 to $10,000. Are they 5x the drill, or are you just paying for the newer paint?

I like that there are no troublesome bearings that come with discs, I like the way they handle rocks, and don't ride up and over sods.

Wish the NoTills were that cheap. I broke down and bought one last year. Expensuve but nice. One pass and I'm done.

jehosofat said:
Wish the NoTills were that cheap. I broke down and bought one last year. Expensive but nice. One pass and I'm done.

Been fingurin on a no till but I don't do a lot of acres... Could use it on beans too, but that market is not very healthy, so I am cutting acres.

Have to go south a ways to find any no till drills, and even the smaller ones are in the teens.

Silver said:
I like that there are no troublesome bearings that come with discs, I like the way they handle rocks, and don't ride up and over sods.

Never seen a hoe drill, but we are not in IH country. Are they rare?

Stocker Steve said:
Silver said:

No, there are lots of them for sale out on the interwebs. They tell me the 7200 was the platform for the first IH airseeders, but someone may correct me if that's not the case.

27137904_1.jpg

Silver said:
Stocker Steve said:
Silver said:

No, there are lots of them for sale out on the interwebs. They tell me the 7200 was the platform for the first IH airseeders, but someone may correct me if that's not the case.

27137904_1.jpg

I've never seen one in my life. I like it.
I can see if being much better in Rocky ground

Silver said:
5S Cattle said:
Oh I like that, not sure how it would like black ground though.

Not sure what you mean by "black ground"?

Type of soil we have around here. Really dark and dense. If you plow it you have to run a disc behind it a few times to break down the clods

5S Cattle said:
Silver said:
5S Cattle said:

Type of soil we have around here. Really dark and dense. If you plow it you have to run a disc behind it a few times to break down the clods

Are there grain farmers in your area? I would be surprised if they were using disc openers, but anything is possible I suppose. Our land is awful heavy here too.

Silver said:
5S Cattle said:
Silver said:

Are there grain farmers in your area? I would be surprised if they were using disc openers, but anything is possible I suppose. Our land is awful heavy here too.

Not in our immediate area. Closest are probably 30 miles in the river bottom. Pretty wooded in my area

Some guys use hoe drills to drill into sod, so they can penetrate. I would assume they use a special opener to do that though.

I over seed with an old John Deere that has the galvanized hoppers on it. I have the springs for each disc set with the maximum pressure that can be had. It is a single disc and I get pretty good results with it. Has to be at least sixty years old.

Stocker Steve said:
The current farm economy is bringing a lot of used grain drills onto the market. There are a lot of older ones in varying condition being sold. Average price is around U$S 1,000 for a 12' or 14' wide unit. There are a few newer end wheel style JD drills sold. They go for a lot more - - perhaps $5,000 to $10,000. Are they 5x the drill, or are you just paying for the newer paint?

Obviously no shortage of money if little drills are going to $10,000. Old drills are almost no sale around here and newer ones are just a few thousand. I like that 7200 drill. Wish there were a few of them around here.

single disc ones like hurley mentioned will work.. press wheels and grass boxes are a must and i'd hook a cultipacker up to the rear of the disc as well.

i tried with a double disc 14' JD8200 and it just wouldn't do it. ground has to be really soft and even then not great results.

5S Cattle said:
Silver said:
5S Cattle said:

And you need a rain between discing.....

5S, probably work great for you once you got your seedbed worked up. :D

Latest posts