12 cheapest states to retire to.

Help Support CattleToday:

Based on some of the expenses listed on this board maybe Oregon should be on this list. My medical, auto and home insurance, utilities, taxes, phone, and internet all cost less than what you guys listed. You have some pretty high cost of living. The only thing that I have that cost more is fuel, but that is because I live 30 miles one way to anything.

Dave said:
Based on some of the expenses listed on this board maybe Oregon should be on this list. My medical, auto and home insurance, utilities, taxes, phone, and internet all cost less than what you guys listed. You have some pretty high cost of living. The only thing that I have that cost more is fuel, but that is because I live 30 miles one way to anything.

Living less than an hour away from the 4th largest city in the country makes cost of living pretty high.
I had just as many services but a lot cheaper when I lived out in West Texas.

If our generation can't make it with all the handouts and jobs available then a lot of it is our fault. The younger generation will have a lot harder time than us as there is not much left. Just about all pensions are gone, job pay has not increased to match inflation, robots/tech eliminating a lot of the better jobs, farming even as a side line is slime to none anymore, as like I said they will see it rough.. I am probably a rare bird as a lot of people are self centered, but I worry about others more than myself...

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Does that mean you're gonna sell me that truck? I know you worry about me not having it.
Glad to see you posting a few as I have not seen many from you lately...These old trucks if they don't nickel and dime you to death are hard to part with. I have looked at new ones and am somewhat interested in the new steel piston trucks when available, but I hate to be a beta tester...Just put two new batteries in at $400+ and probably need new tires from dry rot. With 34800 actual miles and 18 years old a little dry rot maybe setting in.

jltrent said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Does that mean you're gonna sell me that truck? I know you worry about me not having it.
Glad to see you posting a few as I have not seen many from you lately...These old trucks if they don't nickel and dime you to death are hard to part with. I have looked at new ones and am somewhat interested in the new steel piston trucks when available, but I hate to be a beta tester...Just put two new batteries in at $400+ and probably need new tires from dry rot. With 34800 actual miles and 18 years old a little dry rot maybe setting in.

Give you max blue book đź“šon it right now.

This is a timely topic for us. We are at the point where our current property including rental houses on the farms is sustaining, but with all things improvements and repairs are no doubt going to be needed. We are looking at the possibility of downsizing, going to wife's home state where she can be close to help with family needs. Our idea is to find a farm/ranch property there about the same acreage or more than here, but without multiple houses. Ideally we would find a property with either a smaller house or build one on it. The idea is that IF and if is a biggest word there is, that we could sell this property for what folks are asking for comparative properties around here, and reinvest in land and a home out there and then have some left over to add to our retirement. I'm concerned about the capital gains and other taxes. It is my understanding that you can reinvest, but not sure if that includes retirement funds as well.

Ky hills said:
This is a timely topic for us. We are at the point where our current property including rental houses on the farms is sustaining, but with all things improvements and repairs are no doubt going to be needed. We are looking at the possibility of downsizing, going to wife's home state where she can be close to help with family needs. Our idea is to find a farm/ranch property there about the same acreage or more than here, but without multiple houses. Ideally we would find a property with either a smaller house or build one on it. The idea is that IF and if is a biggest word there is, that we could sell this property for what folks are asking for comparative properties around here, and reinvest in land and a home out there and then have some left over to add to our retirement. I'm concerned about the capital gains and other taxes. It is my understanding that you can reinvest, but not sure if that includes retirement funds as well.
I have a Vanguard IRA in the VWNEX mutual account. It has returned $24129.58 for 2019. It has grown very well over the years.
I reinvest the capital gains and dividends back in it each year. When I reached 70 1/2 I had to start making a RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) it was $11,000 this year and taxes were due on it. I have tried trading stocks and cannot seem to find the good ones. I also have a ROTH that does do what it intends to accomplish which is to furnish tax free income.. Mostly stocks in it and each year I sell the profitable ones and the losers and then buy into the ones that look good. If I all of the assets over into the VWNEX it should produce in the excess of $58000 if all goes well. This is money that comes in that I expend no effort on. No cows to feed and take care of no rent houses to take care of, no hay to bale, no pastures to mow. Pretty easy money. My wife and I also have a brokerage account that is in stocks and some in the VWNEX. I am not trying to brag just show how I have managed. I am 79 years old or will be in 15 days. We had very little when I was 55 years old. We did have some inheritances along the way that we did not spend but invested which were not very large. I have made some investment mistakes and also some wise ones in my opinion. My wife and I at the companies that we worked at participated in the 401K to the max. We have not bought the latest and greatest cars and trucks in the last 25 years. A good used one. She drives a 2009 Cadillac DTS with 125,000 miles on it which we bout in 2011 for $21000. Her thoughts are it gets me where I want to go. If it breaks or quits there well be good used cars out there. She is a very low maintenance women that I can contribute my success to her as she always had my back. Now I also have land that has appreciated in value and without an AG exemption I could not afford the property taxes on it. I am posting this to say to you do not use land as your retirement as you will get old and not be able to take care of it. Just think what you could do with $25000 to $50000 coming in each year to the mail box that all you had do was endorse the check.

Caustic Burno said:
jltrent said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I will keep you and TT in mind if still interest when I slap a 4-sale sign on it. Remember it has a 6-speed straight shift that most people can't drive or know how to steal now a days...

It needs a good cleaning as dust collects on it...Look at the drivers side top of the bed at the dust collections...lol...

0HUvUkR.jpg

hurleyjd said:
Ky hills said:
I have a Vanguard IRA in the VWNEX mutual account. It has returned $24129.58 for 2019. It has grown very well over the years.
I reinvest the capital gains and dividends back in it each year. When I reached 70 1/2 I had to start making a RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) it was $11,000 this year and taxes were due on it. I have tried trading stocks and cannot seem to find the good ones. I also have a ROTH that does do what it intends to accomplish which is to furnish tax free income.. Mostly stocks in it and each year I sell the profitable ones and the losers and then buy into the ones that look good. If I all of the assets over into the VWNEX it should produce in the excess of $58000 if all goes well. This is money that comes in that I expend no effort on. No cows to feed and take care of no rent houses to take care of, no hay to bale, no pastures to mow. Pretty easy money. My wife and I also have a brokerage account that is in stocks and some in the VWNEX. I am not trying to brag just show how I have managed. I am 79 years old or will be in 15 days. We had very little when I was 55 years old. We did have some inheritances along the way that we did not spend but invested which were not very large. I have made some investment mistakes and also some wise ones in my opinion. My wife and I at the companies that we worked at participated in the 401K to the max. We have not bought the latest and greatest cars and trucks in the last 25 years. A good used one. She drives a 2009 Cadillac DTS with 125,000 miles on it which we bout in 2011 for $21000. Her thoughts are it gets me where I want to go. If it breaks or quits there well be good used cars out there. She is a very low maintenance women that I can contribute my success to her as she always had my back. Now I also have land that has appreciated in value and without an AG exemption I could not afford the property taxes on it. I am posting this to say to you do not use land as your retirement as you will get old and not be able to take care of it. Just think what you could do with $25000 to $50000 coming in each year to the mail box that all you had do was endorse the check.

Thanks for the response. I'm about to be 45 and my physical health is not great. Our reality is that this property should be of significant value but only if it is sold which I think is where a lot of small farmers are at. Hive been looking at prices and it looks like we could flip to another place of similar acreage and I could still still support my habit of having cattle on a similar scale and hopefully have 1/3 or more to invest in an account Our current property taxes and insurances are through the roof and it feels like just spinning wheels We have no debt,and live very modestly. I know there will come a day where my health won't let me do what I'm currently doing we have simplified our farming to just cows and calves with a goal of maintaining 50-60. We will likely eventually downsize to little or no land, but as long as I'm able to work i think I benefit from having some cattle.

jltrent said:
Caustic Burno said:
jltrent said:

I will keep you and TT in mind if still interest when I slap a 4-sale sign on it. Remember it has a 6-speed straight shift that most people can't drive or know how to steal now a days...

It needs a good cleaning as dust collects on it...Look at the drivers side top of the bed at the dust collections...lol...

0HUvUkR.jpg

I'd appreciate it if you'd toss a cover on it when it's sitting idle like that.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
jltrent said:
Caustic Burno said:

0HUvUkR.jpg

I'd appreciate it if you'd toss a cover on it when it's sitting idle like that.

I have pretty much the same pickup. Same color. Also a 6 speed standard transmission. And it has a little dust on it too. A few more miles on it at 279,000.

jltrent said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I will get in line for the truck too. If it's 18 yrs old, then it is newer than anything we own..... and the mileage is a plus. I drive 5 sp transmissions and as soon as the ankle gets fixed will be able to drive any of our trucks again.... the one with the bale bed has a STIFF clutch that hurts the ankle to try to push on. Only have 1 truck with an automatic which has been a godsend since my son broke his hip, and my forrester is an automatic but I stole it for 1500 from a friend who wanted a new car and that is what they quoted her for trade in. Even with the warranty engine we are putting in it, I will still consider it a bargain. It is a 2000 model.... the newest of any vehicle we own.
So if they welsh on you, I'm interested.... and close to you too to come get it!!!! :lol: :lol:

jltrent said:
Caustic Burno said:
jltrent said:

0HUvUkR.jpg
But it's a FORD

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Correct Kenneth, that's what makes it worth owning.

Yep I have 02 in the barn just like it.
Most expensive vehicle I ever bought at the time has been the cheapest.
Eighteen years of use, body doesn't have one rust spot and still runs like a singer sewing machine.

My '02 was cheap. I bought it from state surplus for less than $6,000. It was a Washington DNR fire fighting rig. When they buy a new one they swap the new pickup bed and their fire equipment flat bed. So it is a 02 with a 2014 bed. I have put about 100,000 miles on it since I bought it. It runs great. We also have a '97 F-350 gasser with a flat bed. It is definitely a farm truck as it has seen its better days.

Latest posts