12 acres of Sudex

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
How many did you put on it? That looks like it'll last awhile if you don't stock it too heavy. Provided of course that you get the needed rain. Nice pics.

how much of the seed you broadcasted afterwards germinated and grew into plants?

I had very unreliable success with the broadcasting sudan type seeds onto a field without disking it in

RN BSN":1kl8r2mx said:
Quote from tnmbp....Seeing as how I just purchased 4x5 bales of pearl millett hay that weighed close to 900 pounds for 15 bucks a bale I think you are getting ripped off.[Quote}

As you can see above (your post from last week) I was wondering why you buy hay when you claim to have so much "chest high" sudex ?

The pictures you posted is of one of my friends place, You must live near him. What Gives Guy? Are you for real ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Busted?
Taking pictures of someone else's place?

KNERSIE":38xqujej said:
how much of the seed you broadcasted afterwards germinated and grew into plants?

I had very unreliable success with the broadcasting sudan type seeds onto a field without disking it in

I would never waste seed like that either. We always drill it, and pull a cultipacker over it.

35-50 lbs. of seed to the acre max.

MikeC":10h2mlf6 said:
KNERSIE":10h2mlf6 said:

I would never waste seed like that either. We always drill it, and pull a cultipacker over it.

35-50 lbs. of seed to the acre max.
Absolutely Mike. We sowed about 5 acres of a test area 2 years ago, and disked it in, as I did not have use of a drill, at that time, and still only had marginal to poor sucess.

As far as taking pictures of someone else's property or Cattle and posting them is a crock of BS.

TnMasterBeefProducer, sorry I didn't make it clear. I meant how many head bovines did you put on it? I understood how much seed you put from your initial post.

Txwalt":2nq73s2z said:
Hmmmmmm.....

Walt :roll:

Walt, where can I find one of those "Over The Head" emoticons? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

RN BSN":3vpfpi8y said:
Quote from tnmbp....Seeing as how I just purchased 4x5 bales of pearl millett hay that weighed close to 900 pounds for 15 bucks a bale I think you are getting ripped off.[Quote}

As you can see above (your post from last week) I was wondering why you buy hay when you claim to have so much "chest high" sudex ?

The pictures you posted is of one of my friends place, You must live near him. What Gives Guy? Are you for real ?

Come on with two posts you expect to come in here an claim that these pics are of a "friends place" close to you.
How do you know its the same place?
Whats up? me thinks someone is not telling the truth???
I just havnt picked out the liar out yet....

Could be a regular user here that created a different user name to start stuff with TNBP.

Sir Loin seems to be the emoticon expert on the boards. :D

Walt

Txwalt":2b9n4opz said:
Could be a regular user here that created a different user name to start stuff with TNBP.

Sir Loin seems to be the emoticon expert on the boards. :D

Walt

Could be lord knows it wouldnt be the first time.
There are some well known posters with an extra name or two..... we all know who you are :oops:

I've got 2 Fellers right close by me that will cut, rake and roll for 12.00 and 14.00 respectively. Both have 688 NH Rollers.Whichever one is not tied up, and can get to us the soonest, gets the job.

You mentioned that it's wilted a bit from lack of rain? I think I could see that in the pics; leaves seem to be a bit rolled and 'pineapple looking' in spots.

Be real careful if you get a rain and it greens up real quick. It will get a dark green color and take off after a rain but you need to keep those bossies out of there a couple days if you don't want prussic acid poisoning. For some reason sudans and sorghums get prussic acid after a bit of drought stress with a sudden flush of moisture and greenup. Same thing happens after frost. Make sure you give it at LEAST a couple days (more is safety) to give it time to go away before you let them back in on it.

Nice thing about making hay out of it-- you don't have to worry about prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide) because it outgasses from the stems and leaves as part of the natural drydown cycle for making hay. Great stuff but be careful with it! OL JR :)

There are some well known posters with an extra name or two..... we all know who you are :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Isn't that the truth!!! My favorite is the guy that thinks he's fooling everybody by blowing the smoke about alwasy going to help (himself) or going somewhere with (himself). A 4 year old could look at there posts and know its the same guy. But sometimes he gives some good advice and he's always entertaing. He must not have a 4 year old though. :lol: :lol: :p :D

To those talking about 'prussic acid' -- in sudex it's not a concern unless it's frosted. If it gets frosted wait a few days then graze again.

What should be watched under his current conditions is 'nitrate poisoning'. Since he had the county agent test it and said the 'nitrogen level' was OK, it sounds like he knows what to watch for even if the terminology is a bit off.
Most of the nitrate is concentrated in the bottom 4-6 inches so avoid grazing that. But if you want regrowth, you don't want to graze it below 4-6 inches anyway. I think you're doing right to put a large number of cattle on it. I'd actually suggest splitting the field in half to get one side eaten down evenly, and faster. Once it's down move the cows to the other side. The first side will then get a chance to start regrowth without the cows trampling the new growth. It'll regrow faster if it's not trampled. Also, the new regrowth will have higher levels of nitrates and shouldn't be grazed until it's at least a foot high.

MikeC":3nltzcp0 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3nltzcp0 said:
The pictures posted are of my place. The reason I have not baled the Sudex is because I dont own a mower, rake/tedder, or a baler. All I have is an orange Kubota tractor. I would have had to pay someone to bale my Sudex for me. I found some bales of Pearl Millet for cheaper than what it was going to cost me to get someone to bale my field of Sudex. Pm me with your friends name RN_BSN and Ill tell ya whether I am him or not. Perhaps I might be never can tell. Perhaps maybe its my dads place and I farm it. Perhaps not. Pm me with the persons name and Ill tell ya whether you are correct or not as to who's place it is.

This was posted about August 1 just a few days before by the same poster:

?????????????????????????????????????????
TN Master Something: I cut and bale sudex which is pretty much sorghum cross. I let is dry and cure for 3-5 days before I bale it up. Hope this helps. Sometimes it takes longer sometimes less. I have just always done it this way. Do what works best for you.
TNMasterBeefProducer
Cowhand

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:18 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No I didnt get it tested. I have raised it and baled it for years and I have never had a problem. So long as you let it cure for 3-5 days you should be alright. No it is stored inside in a hay barn and I let the cows graze it. I just pull them off of it before it rains though.

Come on TNMBP. Do you bale it or not? :roll:

Does anybody leave room for the possibility that when ole Carl Ray wrote that "the pictures posted are of my place" he could have meant a place that he rents? He did not post that he is the owner of the place?

And I, as well as a fair number of my acquaintances, have often used words like "I baled my coastal field just at the right (or wrong :( ) time" --- in reality meaning that I had someone with the required equipment bale it for me, not that I physically baled it myself. All just in the common local vernacular, with no intent to deceive. (like "I hauled my calves to the sale barn today" when in reality I paid a buddy to haul them for me)

No doubt I've missed a good number of his posts, but from what I've read lately it seems to me that in his current reincarnation Carl Ray is behaving pretty well, so maybe we ought not to prick him too much and be too petty. ;-)

Latest posts