1100 lb. steer vs. 1400 lb. bull

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":30jx3o6c said:
The steer will produce more palatable beef. The bull will produce more beef,, but yuck..

I take it you have never ate bull meat or at least think you haven't. If you have eaten beef in any public restaurant you have eaten bull meat.

Jovid":3113p7f5 said:
hillsdown":3113p7f5 said:
The steer will produce more palatable beef. The bull will produce more beef,, but yuck..

I take it you have never ate bull meat or at least think you haven't. If you have eaten beef in any public restaurant you have eaten bull meat.

I kill a bull every year to put in the freezer. I kill em at around 1200 pounds as yearlings. Tender and juicy every last one of em.

Actually I have and I do not like it at all, it tastes gamey and is not marbled like it should be. Just like I do not like elk deer or moose..

How many bulls slaughter have been finished on grain for that matter for 3 months..Not many.. I don't like grass fed beef either..But that is just me I guess , to each their own,, eat your bulls ,,but they will never even come close to a properly finished steer or heifer.

BTW I never order beef in a restaurant, why would you order something that you can have anytime and that what you have is better than they could ever serve ? ;-)

not to change the subject.. but does the meat from a bottle fed steer taste better than a steer raised by its "natural" mother??

i have an angus steer raising by bottle with good genetics, but ive never heard any information on the subject of CARCASS QUALITY of bottle fed calves. give me wisdom!

God bless

lmp570":85537agf said:
not to change the subject.. but does the meat from a bottle fed steer taste better than a steer raised by its "natural" mother??

i have an angus steer raising by bottle with good genetics, but ive never heard any information on the subject of CARCASS QUALITY of bottle fed calves. give me wisdom!

God bless
I've had a lot of bottlefed dairy or dairyX calves and Angus that were weaned below 300 lbs, and they have all graded very well. I've never had one grade under Choice.

lmp570":1ali59wd said:

God bless

No.

tncattle":13zu5kbp said:
Both pure Angus. Which should produce more beef after processed similar.

The fact that they are both Angus has nothing to do with anything. Common sense should tell you that, assuming they have similar bone structure, the 1400 lb bull will produce more beef than an 1100 lb steer. The question you should be asking is which one will produce the better beef, and that is determined by the age of the bull, whether or not he has been breeding cows, and how long he has been breeding cows.

hillsdown":2jj20rhh said:
Actually I have and I do not like it at all, it tastes gamey and is not marbled like it should be. Just like I do not like elk deer or moose....

The same goes for me. There was a study about taste sensitivity concerning how game and lamb taste to different people. Some people can taste the gaminess and others can't. For example, when I was growing up, my mother cooked leg of lamb frequently. My father, mother and brother loved it. The aroma was obnoxious to me. Duck is the same way.

The study said that women were more sensitive to the aroma and flavor. So maybe those who like bull meat just don't taste it. Also our daughter was taught in her Meat Science class at Texas that a bull's hormones can flavor the meat.

Sorry for going off track.

hillsdown":3pcxa5b6 said:
BTW I never order beef in a restaurant, why would you order something that you can have anytime and that what you have is better than they could ever serve ? ;-)
What does that statement say about the beef industry when a beef producer won't even buy the product? I scold my family when we go out to eat and one of them orders chicken. I tell them it is "fowl" meat.

Take two calves the same age one bull one steer feed them the same. Butcher them at 12 to 15 months and i don't think there will be much difference in taste.

hillsdown":2ehjk4c9 said:

Everyone has different opinions and tastes, however all we eat are the bulls. Plenty of marbling, but not too much fat. We have them processed at 1100-1200 pounds.

Just right......

msscamp":coo8cwke said:
lmp570":coo8cwke said:

God bless

No.

is there any difference in the taste of the two?? id hate to send a bottle fed steer to the butcher when i have steers raised "naturally" that i could take off that may taste better.

The bull if in the same body condition shoudl produce more meat.

There shoud be no difference in the taste between a bottle calf and one raised on its mother, because both of them should have been weaned long before slaughter. If not we are talking veal not beef.

Red Bull Breeder":3t2neve4 said:
Take two calves the same age one bull one steer feed them the same. Butcher them at 12 to 15 months and i don't think there will be much difference in taste.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: