11 Year Old Angus Cow and Heifer Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Both are registered. Heifer was born 1/2/06, picture was taken 4/14/06. What do you think??

041406001.jpg

Both look in good condition.

Is the brown hair from just from the sun?

Although I'm far from being an expert on judging cattle, I'll go out on a limb here. From what I can see of Mom, she looks pretty darned good. I think the calf is going to be one awesome heifer when she grows up! She looks like she's got it in most (if not all) departments that count. Just my thoughts.

The brown hair is a result of her being a leachman tonto granddaughter (cow). The calf's brown hair should fall off and she will be black by June. I dont think the calf is as short rumped as she appears in the picture. Not the best job of photographing but I could not seperate the two.

I think that you should plan to keep the heifer as a member of your cow herd! Both of them are phenotypically very good, and with Leachman Tonto in the mix you have a fine Genetic base. Could you give the Reg# of both the sire and dam please?

DOC HARRIS

Here is another angle. The cow has not had anything other than winter pasture, except for 20 days in December where the cows got 3# of soybean hull pellets per day. Plus Free choice hay.

041406003.jpg

mtnman":6uesbasy said:
The cow is built like a steer.

mtnman

Now please don't everyone jump on me, because this is my first post on conformation, but I see what mtnman is saying here. Not exagerated, or to a fault but the cow looks more masculine than anything I own for sure.

She doesn't appear to be too well fleshed out in the hindquarters but does appear large in the shoulder. Go ahead and correct me, I know I am missing something here.

I for sure would be happy to have her in my pasture but if we are gonna be picky then that is the only way we learn.

OK , reality just set in, go ahead everyone, jump on me!

If she's 11 years old and still calving every yearand raising a good calf, she could have 2 teats and 3 legs and she'ld still be a darn good cow. Pretty is as pretty does.

dun

dun":17tsq8sr said:
If she's 11 years old and still calving every yearand raising a good calf, she could have 2 teats and 3 legs and she'ld still be a darn good cow. Pretty is as pretty does.

dun

Please don't edit this out dun because this is gonna be a very useful quote.

AngusLimoX":vt7bpyn2 said:
mtnman":vt7bpyn2 said:
The cow is built like a steer.

mtnman

Now please don't everyone jump on me, because this is my first post on conformation, but I see what mtnman is saying here. Not exagerated, or to a fault but the cow looks more masculine than anything I own for sure.

She doesn't appear to be too well fleshed out in the hindquarters but does appear large in the shoulder. Go ahead and correct me, I know I am missing something here.

I for sure would be happy to have her in my pasture but if we are gonna be picky then that is the only way we learn.

OK , reality just set in, go ahead everyone, jump on me!
AngusLimoX- I have no desire to "jump on you", because I understand that pictures can distort the true image that a subject presents. There is a fine line of demarcation between masculinity and beefiness, or 'beef type'. This cow is not being presented in the most optimal manner because she has a pretty good sized calf nursing her, thereby covering her true depth of body, the status of her udder, the length of leg, and the hindquarters that she genetically possesses. She has had virtually NO flesh-building nutrition or forage, she has a lusty calf that she seems to be doing a great job of raising, she appears docil and calm-submissive, and in spite of what mtnman thinks, IMO she does not look like a steer!

I think that most breeders would be pretty pleased to have 50 cows exactly like this one raising calves which looked exactly like this calf looks in their front pasture. Take this calf off of her at weaning, put her on a good pasture of Lespedeza, Orchard Grass, gamagrass or any good pasture mix compatible with the geographical area where you operate, and you will see a cow that will bug your eyes out! I haven't read this cow's EPD's yet, but phonetically she is no "Funnel-Butt" and her calf will not genetically be a funnel-butt either. A cow doing a good job of raising a healthy calf will drop 1.5 - 2.00 Conditioning scores in the period of 6-7 months nursing that calf. You have to be aware of reality. Mtnman - you seem to be living in a dream world.

DOC HARRIS

I agree with Mtnman. She is coarse, but I will always take coarse over refined, light boned, slab sided, etc. She always brings in a good calf and until this year she was always on time or early. This year she slid back 21 days, but she was bred to calve 21 days earlier this coming year. I wish I had 50 of her Dun, but this heifer is all I have. I had a "dispersal minus 1 " so I could build my house., I had 3 daughters of hers then!! :lol:

Excellent point, js, glad to see you see it like I do.

I mentioned what I thought she looked like, I didn't attach any merit or lack of to it.

She looks like a steer, but it doesn't matter if she get the job done.

Thanks for being thick-skinned enough to not read into what I said.

mtnman

Latest posts