11 month old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1lkp2uvi said:
Wild Cattle":1lkp2uvi said:
Just because a bull comes from "good lines" or has good numbers, does not mean he is a good bull canadate. He would be a steer on this outfit. Has everyone forgot how to evaluate a herd bull on his own merits?

Paul T

Excellent point. Way to many bulls that are sold for breeding are sold/used based on the possible quality rather then actual quality. Same applys to heifers. Not every calf born, no matter how good the pedigree is in theory, should be kept for breeding.

Dun, I must agree. I had told you about a Red Angus bull I was looking at buying based on what I was told about him and his EPD numbers and when I finally got to look at him and another. I decided that they should have been steers and should have never made it to Bulls.

This young bull looks a little small to me, and I wouldn't consider him herd bull material based on what I can tell from this photo. I have an 11 month old steer that has just started on full grain and I believe he will weigh 1100-1150lbs now. I really wish I had let him grow up before I cut him, and I have another steer that is doing better than he did. I am planning to let my bulls grow for a few months before banding and give them a chance to develop.

JMO for a rookie/hobby type

Latest posts