1086 losses power and shuts off

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Started baleing hay today and my 1086 Started to lose power fast, to the point it would kill the motor in park and pto not on. I changed the fuel filters again thinking they were bad and it did it again. If you let it set for just a few mins it would take off fine but kept doing it. I replaced some gaskets on the injector pump back in the winter and had a hard time getting back time but finally did. I haven't used it much till today. Could it just be out of time, it had no throttle response when it was acting up. It was smoking pretty bad but would clear up when it finally started running better. Any ideas. Thanks gotta get this thing going asap

I didn't check the air filter. I cleaned it at the end of last season I guess something could if built a nest up in it over the winter. How often should they be changed? We blow them out very often but rarely change them.

Ky cowboy":1ie7028z said:
RanchMan90":1ie7028z said:
Check your fuel shutoff solenoid?

It'll run ok for a 10-15 mind then go to crap. When I changed the filters today they were full of fuel
White smoke means it's starving for fuel. Shutoff solenoid is on the injector pump. Just check ohms on it.

RanchMan90":beo0hn35 said:
Ky cowboy":beo0hn35 said:
RanchMan90":beo0hn35 said:
Check your fuel shutoff solenoid?

It'll run ok for a 10-15 mind then go to crap. When I changed the filters today they were full of fuel
White smoke means it's starving for fuel. Shutoff solenoid is on the injector pump. Just check ohms on it.
Yep, and check the connection if it's a spade terminal I had one act like yours and it was a loose oily connection once it got warm it would lose contact.

M-5":1mjmuakm said:
Caustic Burno":1mjmuakm said:
M-5":1mjmuakm said:
Check your fuel pick up in tank , blow back thru line in case it's got a restriction.
I am thinking Black algae in the tank plugging the fuel line.
Yep, btdt last yr
Could very well be, I fought that a few years ago. Usually you can see the slime on the filter top when you change it and if there is a water separator it will definitely be in there.

You got that right. It was terrible around here, I'm pretty sure most of the suppliers add the algicide now I haven't had the problem in years.

Ky cowboy":26apiuzw said:
I didn't check the air filter. I cleaned it at the end of last season I guess something could if built a nest up in it over the winter. How often should they be changed? We blow them out very often but rarely change them.

Whenever it needs it. :tiphat: I think its probably going to be the algae though.

I'd bet on a fuel restriction as well.. 1086? that's Case/IH? My 684 had a very similar problem, though itwouldn't stall right out, it would lose power and suck air (I could see it in the aftermarket fuel filter).. I went blue in the face cleaning the tank, replaced the balance tube from left to right halves.. In the end I took the shutoff cock out and cleaned it and backflushed the line and finally it's acting right again.

fuel tank vent or the lines plugged. Mine got crimped underneath from running over something and it would slow down after an hr or so of running then just die...I ran a line with a rubber hose to try it and that fixed it. so I ran a new line proper

talltimber":1kkubgv7 said:
Does it do it only under load, or will it do it idling as well? Any fuel leaks visible?

both. Think I might of fixed it, replaced the connection on the electronic fuel shutoff. It ran for an hour at 1500 rpms. But was just sitting it never acted up gonna put to the test as soon as the rain blows thru

Latest posts